Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does Anyone Hand Quilt Without a Hoop or Frame? >

Does Anyone Hand Quilt Without a Hoop or Frame?

Does Anyone Hand Quilt Without a Hoop or Frame?

Old 03-16-2017, 05:15 AM

I use the thimblelady method, with the quilt fairly loose in the hoop. Too loose and you don't have good control, too tight you can't get enough movement in the fabric. I used to think hooping the quilt was the hardest part of quilting, LOL, but I eventually got the hang of it.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:27 AM

I do as you do, just hold the quilt sandwich in my hands and sew away. It works better for me too.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:31 AM

When I was returning to sewing and quilting a number of years ago, I sat at the side and feet of an expert hand quilter for a Saturday quilt work day. She showed how to use a hoop or frame but also encouraged us to try without the hoop/frame and then use the method that fit us the best. There are no rules just the pleasure of doing hand work. My sister-in-law was a speedy and absolutely perfect hand quilter who only used a frame. Perfect work, perfect pleasure but I hate the frame. I am a hand quilt with no hoop or frame gal. Works for me particularly when I am doing smaller projects such as table runners or baby quilts. Bottom line, try the different styles and do what works for YOU!
Old 03-16-2017, 05:40 AM

When I first started quilting I used a hoop because I thought that was the way it was done. I also tried and tried and tried to rock my needle. But you know what? I can't do it! So now I quilt hoopless and I rock my fabric. I'm happy with my stitches. They may not be 12 to an inch but that's ok. They're consistent and I like them. I did finally learn to use a thimble though as the pain of the needle sticking in my finger got to be too much. :-)
Old 03-16-2017, 05:47 AM

HOOPLESS OVER HERE!!!!! LOL, and I am the heathen in the group, not only am I hoopless, I use whatever needle is that works, regardless of it's title or number. As long as I am the one happy with my work, I'm happy! Don't come to my house to judge, you'll be shown the door!
Old 03-16-2017, 05:50 AM

I had the same experience. My son-in-law built me a large standing quilt frame to hold up to a king-size quilt but it was so awkward to get my stitches even. I then tried several hoops and I got tired of all of the stopping to change the position of the hoop. I am now working on a queen size whole cloth quilt with a lot of leaves and curves and I am just holding it on my lap. I have done several quilts in this fashion and I love the outcome. I machine quilt baby quilts and some wall hangings but I always love the look of hand quilting the most.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:20 AM

Hi: I could never get used to using a hoop so my husband made me a frame out of PVC pipe and that is what I use.
I have a sewing room in the basement so I do not have to put anything away until I am all done with my quilt.
I have never tried lap quilting but for just the sake of it I think I might have to give it a try also.
Happy Quiting.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:27 AM

I don't use a hoop either. Just need to baste well so things don't shift, from my own experience.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:30 AM

I took a class on Hawaiian quilting over 10 years ago and still have not finished the block I started. I was good with the cutting and reverse applique but when I got to the quilting I have struggled. I could never get the hoop the way I wanted and then just as I started to get a rhythm going and stitches were looking OK I had to move the hoop. Now I have hope and am going to go hopeless; I have never been able to use a thimble either.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:32 AM

I am a hoop quilter, a size 14 mostly. I have tried going hoopless because I think I would ultimately prefer that, but I just can't seem to get it all together. I wish I had someone I could work w/that can do both methods (or even just one method very well) so that when I run into a problem they could help me through it. I do use the Thimble Lady thimble though.

Today I am going to watch as many utubes as I can to see some of the hoopless methods in action. My problem usually arises when I get to the middle and I'm not sure exactly how to hold the fabric.