Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why not use cotton/poly? >

Why not use cotton/poly?

Why not use cotton/poly?

Old 03-24-2017, 06:42 AM

I have used blends for as long as I have quilted. I have many that I purchased with my Mother when they were still the in thing and have found that they wash better than cotton and don't shrink. I also use cotton, but if someone doesn't like my quilts I really don't care as they are what I wanted to do. If someone else wants something different let them go for it.Creation is what you want and like.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:47 AM

Regardless of the quilt police, poly/cotton is less likely to fade over time, as cotton will and does. It is a great fabric for kids quilts, much less destructible. You might want to use poly thread, also.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:25 AM

I've used it if I needed that color and that's what I had on hand. The smell is not pleasant, but the main reason that I tend to not choose a poly cotton is that it doesn't move/stretch so it's hard to slightly stretch your pieces a bit if you need to make something fit. And I find that the pieces shift around when you're sewing, they don't "stick" together like cotton.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:47 AM

There is nothing 'wrong' with using cotton/poly. Or using denim, linen, satin, wool, fur, lace, anything you want in a quilt. It is your quilt and you can use whatever you want. If you are making an heirloom quilt or a quilt for a competition, then there are rules to follow. I believe that one of the reasons people used to say that the only true quilts were made from all cotton was that the antique quilts were usually made from all cotton - but, they didn't have cotton/poly fabrics! If using mixed fabrics, I would suggest washing everything first because they may have various shrink properties and be aware that your quilting may need to handle assorted thicknesses, but, whatever you want to do - GO FOR IT!
Old 03-24-2017, 12:26 PM

I use poly cotton because I recycle, but I try to use all cottons with all cottons and blends with blends. It's a personal preference. My grandmother's quilts have pieces of all kinds of fabrics in them and her quilts have survived from the 1920's. I think cottons are better for hand quilting because they are easier to needle, but if you are using a machine, that matters much less.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:53 PM

I don't particularly care to use poly blends in a quilt top, but have used them for backing with good results. It really is a matter of personal taste and/or economics whether you use a poly/cotton or not.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:30 PM

You can use what ever you want in a quilt. If it ravels, pinking shears, or larger seams. Some times we use light weight silks with interfacing ironed onto the back. Our group works with women who are learning to sew, have no money for material, so we use anything we can get. The quilts turn out beautiful.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:49 PM

I went to JoAnns today. Their selection of cotton gingham was limited and the fabric was "see through". So, I checked their cotton/poly broadcloth and it was acceptable. It was also on sale. So I bought the broadcloth to go with the cotton/poly gingham I have. The lady also told me that the store on the north side of town has a wider selection of colors. I will pick up a few more colors of gingham at Hobby Lobby and go to that JoAnn's store for matching solids.

Win-Win. Thanks so much for talking me through this. I'm happy with the choice.

bkay
Old 03-24-2017, 03:45 PM
Power Poster

Broadcloth has a poly component to it also and I have used that in the past when I could find the perfect color in it but not in cotton. There is nothing wrong with mixing fiber content as long as the weight is similar and you are aware of the pressing temperature.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:29 PM

Do you have a Ben Franklin Crafts near you? There is one just a few minutes from where I live and they sell fabric. I have bought 100% gingham cotton in all the primary colors and varying sizes of gingham. I think it is about $7 or $8 a yard and our store always has the fabric on sale for 25% off.