Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pinning vs. Spray Basting >

Pinning vs. Spray Basting

Pinning vs. Spray Basting

Old 04-16-2017, 03:54 PM

Mitty, I would discourage your using the tacking gun for basting. Every one I know has quit using that method due to the holes it leaves in the fabrics, but each to his/her own.
Old 04-16-2017, 04:09 PM

Thank you all for your replies! I think I may have to give spray basting a try . . . so many of you give it the thumbs up. I probably will still put in a few pins until I am comfortable with the process. I really do appreciate all of your suggestions. ~smile~
Roseanne
Old 04-17-2017, 01:17 PM

I love spray basting! Especially for small to medium size quilts. I set up a big piece of cardboard on a card table outside with a sheet on it. Lay the back down first; spray the back; roll the batting and then unroll it onto the backing; spray the batting; roll the top and unroll it onto the batting. The rolling is important so that you get things smooth as you go. Need to do outside because of the odor and need for ventilation. Also I didn't want to chance sticky on my floors.
Old 04-17-2017, 04:57 PM

Only spay baste. Have had no trouble with smell or washing of quilts… I have about 100 of the bent quilting pins; what a waste of money and my time and still got wrinkles. With spray basting, no problems for me… "to each his own".

Find what works best for you!
Old 04-17-2017, 09:02 PM

I have posted on this issue before -- so I'll try to keep this short -- it is not the smell of the spray (505?) -- it's the chemicals -- I have had emergency hospitalization or ER Treatments due to the chemicals in various sprays -- Yes, I have asthma. If it works for you, fine -- I won't try to persuade you otherwise. But, even scented hand sanitizers stir up my asthma, so I don't risk that. I am very careful with my pin basting and have had no problem with puckers, etc. I would never criticize what anyone else does -- you have to do what works for you. But respiratory problems are very serious -- tobacco smoke even outside precipitates asthma reaction -- I carry an emergency inhaler in my pocket at all times. Given that, it would be stupid for me to risk spray basting. As long as the chemicals don't bother you, it's probably your "go-to" method. For me, I prefer to avoid asthma attacks -- they are dangerous and not pleasant at all, and the emergency rooms are extremely expensive!
Old 04-17-2017, 09:16 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jeanette Frantz View Post
I've not made a large number of quilts -- I'm just a newbie. I will say this, I am asthmatic, and the spray basting is absolutely out of the question. I'm still learning, but have had no problems with pin basting. Of course, I am generous with the pins! Whatever method you decide to use, sandwiching the quilt is the hardest part of making a quilt JMHO! I have qualms about the glue-basting -- first of all, washing a quilt (especially king size) is not something I would want to do in my domestic washing machine. The only laundromat with the giant-sized washers is clear across town (about 25 miles one-way) and those machines are very expensive to use. I am currently working on a project to make sandwiching very easy -- let's home it works!
Jeanette, I understand your concerns, regarding spray basting and your lungs!! Nothing worth risking a bad reaction. I'm curious, though, that you don't wash your quilts when they are done? Or ever? Or just that you don't want to take them to the laundromat at some point? Anyway, I don't have any asthma or sensitivity to scents, but, just don't like spray basting. And I'm not enamored with the Sharon Shamber board method, even after watching her videos, so I'm "sticking with" the glue, haha. And, I agree, whatever works for us is what we should use. One size does not fit all in the quilting world!!
Old 04-18-2017, 06:51 AM

I love glue basting. No overspray, no fumes to inhale, no shifting. And last year I bought a load of Elmer's at a before-school sale at Office Max for $.50 a bottle. Can't beat that. And it's sold everywhere, drug stores, grocery stores, etc.

Last edited by loisf; 04-18-2017 at 06:53 AM.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:36 AM

I tried spray basting...outside. Didn't want the fumes in the house. Then the wind came up and blew it all together. ugh. So now I use the washable Elmer's glue. If it is a really large quilt, I hand baste the layer together starting from the center and going outwards.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:03 AM

I have recently tried basting with washable school glue and it worked just fine, but I did not like the feel of the ridge formed by drizzling the glue. So I experimented and made a spray out of it by using a 2 (glue) to 1 (water) and put it into a spray bottle. WORKS GREAT. And there is no chemical over spray/fume to deal with. I got my spray bottle for 99 cents at my local grocery store [it is less than three ounces]. I get a more even coating of the glue and it dries fast. Also, has a less stiff hand while staying together easily.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:29 AM

I love spray basting. The fabric is repositionable quite easily. With a coupon, the 505 is affordable (when I consider how much time and frustration it saves), and I don't worry that I'll accidentally sew over a pin.