2017 Fabric Moratorium

Old 07-24-2017, 07:31 AM
Power Poster

OH MY STARS...those tiny 9 patches are adorable. A touch too tiny for me though.

I ended up unsewing 2 lines of SID yesterday. GRRRRR! That poly batting just doesn't hold the 505 spray. I was a bit frustrated. Probably won't use it again. But trying is the only way to learn.

The urges to shop for fabric have been kept at bay. So I am feeling a bit accomplished.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:45 AM
Swap Hosts

End of July and I still haven't purchased any fabric - not even for my birthday dispensation!
Old 07-25-2017, 06:11 AM

Sorry about the poly batting Martina. I've used it a few times and it definitely needs more spray to stay in place. I found glue doesn't work at all on it! The poly I used was thinner but I'm not sure the puffy would have worked any better. I usually use the 80-20 and have no problems with it taking the spray.
As for other craft hobbies - I lurch around the yarn and sometimes think I would start crocheting or knitting then talk myself out of it by telling myself quilting is an expensive enough hobby and takes up enough room in the house!!
Paperprincess I remember well you showing some of your paper projects and they were wonderful!
Connie with that kind of deal it would be hard not to walk away with what was left on the bolt (though I know that sounds very enabling!)
Old 07-29-2017, 10:08 AM

I'm staying the course this month, in spite of JoAnn's having a 70% coupon on their higher quality fabrics. I was really tempted.... But resisted. My BD is in September and I'm hoping they will have a similar sale then. Like Rob, I'm going through my stash and making note of what colours/ designs I'm short of. I want to maximize my BD exemption!

In the meantime, I'm sogging along on the scrappy quilt and using up both FQs and larger scraps. I quilted two tops but still need to bind them. No pics until they are really finished!

The Swahili minister at our church was chosen for a Habitat for Humanity house, and it is half-way built. So I am going to make a scrappy quilt for his family. I'm actually considering just making the scrappy I'm currently working on larger as I do like the design and think they will also. The problem is I can't quilt anything larger than 80" on the Bailey, so might have to get creative on how to quilt it.

Last edited by Belfrybat; 07-29-2017 at 10:12 AM.
Old 07-29-2017, 11:06 AM

Belfrybat--domyou use the Bailey as a sit down or is it on a frame? If sit down you could split your batting--I've done that for large quilts and it really helps. The only thing is you need to pin the extra top and backing out of the way while you quilt the first half of your quilt (guess how I know LOL).

Rob
Old 07-29-2017, 01:36 PM

Thanks, Rob. Mine is on a frame that will only take an 80" long quilt (I live in a one bedroom apartment and shortened the rails to fit the frame into the dining room). 80" is fine for the width, but I want to do 100" long for a queen size. The most I've been able to roll on the take up roller on the Bailey is 75" and that was really pushing it. I know some people turn their quilts halfway through when doing a large one, but I can't visualize how to do that.

Does anyone know how to do that? Or better yet, point me to a video? I searched YouTube but didn't find anything. Then again, I'm a lousy internet searcher.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:30 AM

I went to a newly opened LQS on Saturday. This store has change over hands 3x's in the last few years. This time the owners are going to bring back fabric the local residences want. Most customers preference is for Batiks, and fabric lines like that and traditional colors like Kansas troubles. They have lots of variety for most anything a quilter could want. I only bought 2 items, backing for a UFO tee shirt quilt and a row by row kit from there. I also dropped off 3 quilts to get quilted, all UFOs. I used 3 yards wide backing fabric, 7 yards fabric from my stash. So I'm doing better. Yea for me.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:02 AM
Power Poster

I am just tickled pink. Yesterday I started to FMQ the musical notes and it is going swimmingly. I can honestly say that I am feeling very confident in my ability at this point. Honestly, I thought I would NEVER get to this point. 4 of 30 blocks are quilted. Can't wait to get back to it tonight.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:08 AM
Power Poster

This is a thread I'm very interested in. I've been trying to reduce my stash for a couple of years. Since I was low on backings I bought about 15 yds from Missouri Star. Aside from a trip to Amish country last month (bought some solids to make an Amish style basket quilt, I've bought very little in 2017. Oh except for the gorgeous Kaufman Christmas line lol (also from Missouri Star) So for me, it's been a pretty good year.
I've also given a lot away that I just know I'm never going to use. My stash is definitely smaller.
Thanks for having this thread!
Old 07-31-2017, 01:44 PM

Way to go Martina!!!!

Rob