Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Roll-call... bottle or breast >

Roll-call... bottle or breast

Roll-call... bottle or breast

Old 07-25-2017, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
- Which method of feeding did you rely on when raising your family? First baby- they gave me a shot to dry up my milk Very unhappy about that, breast fed my other two kids.
- Any particular reason as to why you chose one over the other? I loved breast-feeding. Wish I could have done so with my oldest. I found it very rewarding.

- Did anyone make their own homemade formula and baby food? I don't remember, probably not.

- Did you use glass or plastic baby bottles? Glass

- Did anyone opt for the smaller 4 oz bottles at the start? Not that I recall

- As an added question, did you use cloth or vinyl bibs at feeding time? Both, I remember vinyl and I also made cute ones with appliques
I also found breastfeeding rewarding... relaxing, too. Being able to wipe down a vinyl bib after a feeding and drape it over the back of baby's highchair was the greatest! No washing, no fussing.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:52 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
They gave you a shot to dry up your milk? How sad!! I agree with you, I personally found breastfeeding to be so rewarding. I was able to bond with my daughter in a way I could never have dreamed of.
I wholeheartedly agree. When my oldest was born breastfeeding wasn't "in" and I was young so I think they just did that as a matter of protocol. I don't really know. But when I nursed my other two it was such a wonderful experience that I really regretted not nursing my oldest. I didn't think my youngest would ever wean We both loved it.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
I wholeheartedly agree. When my oldest was born breastfeeding wasn't "in" and I was young so I think they just did that as a matter of protocol. I don't really know. But when I nursed my other two it was such a wonderful experience that I really regretted not nursing my oldest. I didn't think my youngest would ever wean We both loved it.
And isn't that the way it so often goes.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:48 PM
Power Poster

Like Zozee I had 3 kids in 4 years, and I breastfed all of them for between 1-2 years. The antibodies were terrific. My kids rarely ever got sick, and even as adults today are not sick often. Breastfeeding is so much easier... no formula, bottles, making sure the formula is just the right temp... none of that. And it's a special bonding time with each baby.

My kids went right to sippee cups and cow's milk after breast feeding. When mine were little (the 80's) they had dried baby food flakes for veggies and such, you just add water and mix it up. My kids liked the taste of that stuff way more than the ready-to-eat baby foods. But most baby foods were blended up from fresh food I had prepared for the rest of the family. To this day, my favorite new baby gift is a blender or mini food processor.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Like Zozee I had 3 kids in 4 years, and I breastfed all of them for between 1-2 years. The antibodies were terrific. My kids rarely ever got sick, and even as adults today are not sick often. Breastfeeding is so much easier... no formula, bottles, making sure the formula is just the right temp... none of that. And it's a special bonding time with each baby.

My kids went right to sippee cups and cow's milk after breast feeding. When mine were little (the 80's) they had dried baby food flakes for veggies and such, you just add water and mix it up. My kids liked the taste of that stuff way more than the ready-to-eat baby foods. But most baby foods were blended up from fresh food I had prepared for the rest of the family. To this day, my favorite new baby gift is a blender or mini food processor.
You bring up a lot of excellent points as to the breastfeeding side of things. I'm sure if I were to do it over again I'd definitely breastfeed more than I did, just knowing the health benefits attached.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:05 PM
Power Poster

I breast fed my first one for a few weeks. I was hurting so bad I had to stop. No breast pump then except the old silly hand one. My second I tried again but gave up after leaving the hospital. Back then moms were kept in the hospital for 3-4 days before being sent home. Came home rested and very little soreness. My Dr knew I had a toddler at home when I had my second so kept me for 8 days to get really rested before going home. Baby had a sleeping schedule by then, lots of nurses to see to that. Moms don't know what they are missing by being sent home 24 hours after delivery.

Formula has raised many healthy kids. I don't feel bad at all about using formula.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I breast fed my first one for a few weeks. I was hurting so bad I had to stop. No breast pump then except the old silly hand one. My second I tried again but gave up after leaving the hospital. Back then moms were kept in the hospital for 3-4 days before being sent home. Came home rested and very little soreness. My Dr knew I had a toddler at home when I had my second so kept me for 8 days to get really rested before going home. Baby had a sleeping schedule by then, lots of nurses to see to that. Moms don't know what they are missing by being sent home 24 hours after delivery.

Formula has raised many healthy kids . I don't feel bad at all about using formula.
So true. I never felt guilty or bad over my kids being formula fed, either. We all do what's best, and that's what matters in the end. Love and care.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Endora View Post
So true. I never felt guilty or bad over my kids being formula fed, either. We all do what's best, and that's what matters in the end. Love and care.
So true there, Endora. That's why I never feel like I'm a bad mom for using disposable diapers. I don't think my children will care, as long as mommy loves them We all need to live with what we are comfortable with. Depending where one shop (Sams Club for me) they aren't as costly as they used to be and much better quality too! And like you said, Love and Care is what counts.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:03 AM

I nursed all 3 boys until about a year when they went to a cup. I was too lazy to mess with bottles.
Mary
Old 07-26-2017, 03:26 AM

Breast fed 2 and 4. The nurse that was suppose to be helping with the first was an old maid, and I mean an old maid. She didn't have any idea how to help. the only reason I didn't nurse #3 was she only weighed 2# 8 oz., and I didn't get to hold her until we brought her home. For formula we used Carnation milk diluted with water back in the old days. My "kids are all in their 50's ,and we used cloth diapers.

'