Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Suprise new machine for me! >

Suprise new machine for me!

Suprise new machine for me!

Old 05-29-2017, 07:25 AM

I hope you enjoy every stitch on that new machine! Happy Day!
Old 05-29-2017, 08:06 AM

I would like to make a suggestion. I saw your post about it being a culture shock, and I know that it can be difficult to adjust. When I got my new fancy machine, I bought a 50 yard roll of stabilizer off of Ebay and cut it into pages and punched holes in them for a loose-leaf notebook. I cut pieces of plain dark fabric to use with the stabilizer pages and started testing every stitch on my machine. I had to learn HOW to do things as I went. I spent the better part of 2 weeks going through every stitch except the embroidery. I assembled my "samples" in my notebook with any notes I made as I went along. I use that notebook all the time. Janome provided pictures of the stitches, but absolutely nothing compares to looking at samples of actual stitches done in white thread on a dark background. The process takes patience, but it also helps you get comfortable with your machine and develop some concepts about the way things are done. You get to try all your feet and accessories and LEARN. This honeymoon experience with my machine has helped me more than I can say. I hope you will take time to get to know this machine that will become such an important part of your life.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:35 PM

What a great thing. HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY TO YOU.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:44 AM

Congratulations!! You will find many new and wonderful things to do with the embroidery machine...Happy for you!
Old 05-30-2017, 06:33 PM

So happy for you. Have fun!
Old 05-30-2017, 09:46 PM

Congratulations! I bought my sewing/embroidery machine on a spur of the moment too. And I have never been happier about a purchase. I may understand how to use a computer, but combining it with an embroidery machine was something else. Luckily my dealer gave me a few lessons, but they were mostly about the basic sewing machine. He taught me how to download to the machine but combining designs on the computer was all on me. Luckily I had a friend that also wanted to learn come over and we practiced and played and laughed our heads off. My DH would sit in another room laughing at what we were saying. Most of it was, "How did we do it? How do we get it to do it again?" We wrote notes and within a few days of out trials we got it down.

She bought her own machine - but we still compare notes on our programs. She has the Brother PE770 - I have the Viking Designer Topaz 20.

I hope you have as much fun with your embroidery as I do with mine.
Old 09-30-2017, 01:26 PM

That sounds like a great idea to make booklet of all the stitches!
Old 09-30-2017, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
Here is a picture - I've gotten as far as doing a few inches of straight stitching.

The upgrade was included in the price, though the dealer has to order it in for me.

This is such a "culture shock" for me since the last time I bought a brand new sewing machine to be my "main" machine was 1980. I am "technology challenged". I've had the same smart phone for 5 years and have not figured it out (if I need to do something different, I call my son and ask him) I don't know how to use our TV (DH has to) and I've never even figured out the new dishwasher.

I've watched a few videos, and want to take out my "crazy quilt" that I've not worked on in about 8 months and play with decorative stitches.
Last time I bought a new machine was in Dec. of 1979 and it was a Pfaff 1209 which I still use and it has never broken down other than the needle threader which hubby installed a new one for me. I'm into vintage machines now but do miss my needle threader! About 3 years ago I did buy a used Pfaff Expression 2.0 which I like a lot for FMQ but unfortunately at the moment it needs to go to the SM doctor. Obviously not lasting as well as the 1209!
Old 09-30-2017, 03:21 PM
Power Poster

Oh how exciting!!!!!! Your husband sounds like a doll- have fun with your new machine!
Old 10-01-2017, 03:51 AM

I've always enjoyed your posts and I am really happy you ( and your husband!) got a top-of-the line machine. I hope you have many years of trouble free sewing with it and one thing for sure: it's a quantum leap from your vintage ones!!