Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Licensed Fabric and Design Quilts that I make. >

Licensed Fabric and Design Quilts that I make.

Licensed Fabric and Design Quilts that I make.

Old 10-27-2017, 12:12 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
Yes it makes sense, and is legal - but sports teams and Disney have a reputation for taking people to court anyway. And their pockets are deeper than mine, probably deeper than yours.
And Harley Davidson too! I heard once they went after someone selling T-shirt quilts made with HD T shirts that had been bought so Harley already got their cut. That didn't stop them for unleashing their lawyer wolves on the person who lost all their inventory and could no longer sell the quilts. This happened about 8 years ago if I remember correctly. I believe they didn't cite copyright law but trademark infringement law because you are making a profit with an item that has their trademark (the classic HD bar and shield, etch) which is a whole other basket of apples.

This is why there is no HD fabric because no fabric manufacturer is willing to pay their license fees. If you find HD fabric, it is cut up sheets.
Old 10-27-2017, 04:03 PM

You can look to this link to figure it out in your situation. I continued to sell my Disney licensed stuff on Ebay because of the first ruling. If I was in the business of selling, they probably could have made a bigger issue of it. I always stated on my sale page that this was an unofficial item made with licensed fabric. Disney sent me a cease and desist and I sent back a polite letter about harassment (with a copy of that Precious Moments decision). That was the end of it.
Old 10-27-2017, 05:10 PM
Power Poster

All of this legalize is one resason why I give away my quilts.
Old 10-28-2017, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
All of this legalize is one resason why I give away my quilts.
Yes, but I choose not to give up my rights and be bullied. Lawyers deliberately send out stuff on the hope that you will be intimidated, even if what they claim is incorrect.
Old 10-28-2017, 11:55 AM

Like someone else has said I would ask them if I could do it in letter form. If they say yes keep the reply so if any problems come up later you have the proof in writing to back you up.
Old 10-28-2017, 12:59 PM

Thank you everyone....all the information is great from the Quilting Board and lots of other places. The main thing is not to use OSU or anything like it. I think I can call it the "Fall Sports Quilt" will do it. And I am only making 2 or three quilts each year for sale and the rest are give to friends and family at Christmas or Birthdays. Thanks for you support....we are great together.
Old 10-28-2017, 02:44 PM
Power Poster

I live in Columbus and the jails would be really full if everyone who made and sold licensed Buckeye things got arrested!
You can't go anywhere w/o seeing OSU stuff!
Old 10-28-2017, 03:05 PM
Banned

For several years I have made and sold sports related items. I buy some of my fabric at my favorite LQS. They know what I do but we don't talk about it openly in the shop because they've been threatened by one of their distributors that if the shop knowingly sell fabric to someone who sells stuff with the licensed fabric, the distributor will stop supplying the licensed fabrics. It's illegal extortion and the shop knows it so to keep peace(and to keep the fabric in the shop) we just don't talk about it.

Cari
Old 10-28-2017, 03:36 PM

Default Licensed prints

I have been told on several occasions that once you buy the fabric, it's yours to do with what you want. Unless you go into mass production, you are clear to use that fabric and sell those quilts. One thing I can add, is IF any big corporation contacts you and says they're going to sue you, you can immediately apologize, and tell them that they should print the restrictions with each bolt of fabric so purchases will know, AND that you will contact the 11 quilts blogs and 3 quilt guilds you belong to and warn them not to purchase any of the fabric licensed by this company; that way, all the members you notify (thousands of them) will in turn notify a few thousand more, who will notify even more, and pretty soon, people won't be buying fabric licensed by this company, therefore eliminating the problem of misunderstanding. Since the $$ in bottom line for big companies, the biggest blow all us 'little guys' can deal them is not giving them money and also giving bad publicity in the process.
Old 10-28-2017, 03:39 PM

wonder what HD is doing to all the people with the HD tattoo on their lumbar spines? Skinning them?