Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
If you could only keep one - Bernina 930 Record or Pfaff 1475 - >

If you could only keep one - Bernina 930 Record or Pfaff 1475 -

If you could only keep one - Bernina 930 Record or Pfaff 1475 -

Old 10-27-2017, 08:48 AM

I forgot to mention: the limits of the CB hook is speed, and the newer models with 9 mm stitch width have a different standard. CB standard is limited to 5,5 mm width. In danger of messing up the conversation, but I added to the previous post Bernina has a narrow freearm compared to some models, and it's sometimes and advantage.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:52 AM

I'd keep the Bernina, but then I'm a Bernina kinda girl
Old 10-27-2017, 05:49 PM

I love my Pfaff 1475. Love the built in walking foot--great for quilting straight lines or crosshatching. It also does very nice FMQ. Bought it new and has sewn hundreds of hours with no need for service. I clean and oil regularly. They are expensive on eBay! Maybe sell it and put the money toward a new machine.
Old 10-28-2017, 06:58 AM

Why suggest a new machine? Half the point of a vintage machine is it does the job at least as good as a new one or better ;- ) For FMQ I find a flatbed in a table or cabinet very nice, but I keep a freearm for other types of sewing.
Old 10-28-2017, 02:30 PM

CB means central bobbin
Old 11-04-2017, 08:09 AM
Power Poster

I wish I could have "everything perfect" in one machine!

Maybe there is in the "new/newer" machines.

I am not willing to say that I am "not smart enough" to learn how to operate a fully computerized machine.

I am willing to say that I am "not motivated enough"
Old 11-04-2017, 08:39 AM

You are smart enough to operate a new machine. Expect to play around with it for a few days, and give it a two week run in period. The features and functions you use regularly will come with ease. If you read reviews you will find lots of pros and cons, but a lot has to do with what type of machine you are used to and how willing you are to think a new thought. A major part of it is quality too. You have to pay a bit for the models that are worth it. Keep in mind that Bernina 930 is a modern machine, just not the latest technology.

What a new model can offer is 9 mm stitch width, lots buttonhole types, auto threader, auto cutter, built in dual feed, and to a degree mindless tension and freemotion. Some quilting and embroidery models have larger capacity bobbins. Some are very enthusiastic about speedbutton on the machine for hand operation and not just the footpedal option. A medium range model is less than your Bernina 930. You will find most of the modern features in vintage machines (I have yet to see auto thread cutter), just not all in one model. I don't find the touch screen display that much of an advantage, but for lots of fancy functions computerized is the only way.

If you don't what to experiment and spend that much money on something new, the vintage machines are all up to the the modern basic machines. I have a freearm model with zigzag and fancy stitches, my favorite is a flatbed cast iron straight stitcher (Singer 201). For overcast stitching and knifes the only thing that gives the multipe loops and stretchy stitches is a serger. Some keep separate cover stitcher. I get by with the single neelde overlock stitches on my freearm machine.

A new machine is fun and nice, with a brand new purchase comes lot of enthusiasm. Think of the functions you actaully use; and you are probably not missing something with what you have. I don't think there is such a thing as a one on all model, and you will probably find advantages in any model you take a liking to. I bought a Singer 201 a few years a go, I cleaned it and fixed it up; it's still my favorite machine to work on. All it does is straight stitches, I use the buttonholers and walking foot function in the swiss zigzagger. It's in a small table and it makes it a joy to work on. The new horn cabinets are too large for everyday storage, so I am very happy with it.

Last edited by Mickey2; 11-04-2017 at 08:56 AM.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:53 AM
Power Poster

My comparison of the Bernina 930 Record and the Pfaff 1475 CD - as of November 2017

Portability:

The Pfaff is much easier to move around. It weighs less, the attachment case goes ‘with’ the machine, the machine has an attached handle, and the cover just lifts off to access the machine. For taking to classes, sew-ins, wherever - I prefer the Pfaff.

The Bernina is cumbersome to get in and out of the carrying case. The attachment case is a separate box and not as compact as the Pfaff attachment box. It takes up a lot of space getting the machine out of the case and putting it back in the case. The case kind of flops out in both directions. It’s also much heavier than the Pfaff - so it should be put on something with wheels if one has to carry it any distance.

Stitches:

The Pfaff has more built -in patterns/designs, but I only use a few of them. It does give one more ‘control’ over the patterning than the Bernina. One repeat at a time - pattern start - pattern mirroring -

The Bernina has an awesome serpentine stitch - which the Pfaff does not have. It also has a very long basting type stitch which could be very useful in the fitting stage of garment making.

The Bernina can sew through at least 8 layers of heavy denim without complaining.

Neither one has an applique/buttonhole stitch. My main complaint about both machines.

I think they both sew ‘nicely’.

Free Motion:

It is easier to ‘set up’ the Bernina for free motion (in my case, mending) than the Pfaff. The presser foot is attached in the usual way and one just turns a knob to lower the feed dogs.
For the Pfaff, I need to get the instruction book out every time I attach the ‘darning foot’ and it is a little bit tricky to get it right.

Needle Positions:

The Pfaff has more needle positions than the Bernina.

Bobbins:

The two machines use different style bobbins. Neither one seems “picky” about the type of bobbin I use.

Thread:

I have a big supply of old-style Coats & Clark Dual Duty thread. Both machines handle it well.

Buttonholes:

I have not figured out how to make “perfect” buttonholes with either machine.

Miscellaneous:

I like the flat spot on top of the Pfaff to put extra bobbins or needles or a seam ripper or a thimble.
They both have thread cutters.
The Bernina - one has to hold the lever while backstitching - sometimes that is not convenient.
The Pfaff - push a button or choose a setting for backstitching. It ‘stays’ in backstitching mode until the setting is changed.

The IDT on the Pfaff is great for straight-line quilting.

Downside to both machines:

Parts may be difficult or impossible to find when the machine(s) die.
Neither has an applique/buttonhole stitch.

Summary

For portability - the Pfaff.

For the free motion and the serpentine stitch - the Bernina.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:02 AM

Great review! I agree with you, all the Bernina Records are heavy, and I have a 900 Nova as my portable. I think the 700 and 800 Sport are even lighter. There are lots of light weights to choose from these days, but few are worth considering as your all-in-one machine. The stitch length lever on the 930 is different than the earlier models. My Nova has a simple revers button. As mentioned, the 930 came with extra strong motor and all the stitch patterns, I guess it's bound to be heavier.

The 930 does a nice buttonhole, it's a basic straight shape only and you have to draw a line on the fabric to set length. With a bit of test sewing you will get the hang of it. You can easily do a corded buttonhole with it, and I guess the Pfaff should be up to the same.

If you are very picky and want thicker thread, decorative keyhole shape, and perfect zigzagging you might need a dedicated buttonholer model, but you should be able to make nice buttonholes on either of your machine. I have to say I like the buttonholers I have for my Singer 201, one of them has a few key shaped cams.

You end up keeping them both?
Old 11-14-2017, 09:20 AM
Power Poster

I have them both -

Interestingly enough - I have become fond of a Bernina 1006. It has a carrying handle.

I was thinking about giving it to my granddaughters - but they did not respond to a text I sent them - you snooze, you lose!

I was 'checking it out' for 'them' - and I think I just might keep this one for traveling. It did not come with a cover with a pocket for the presser foot and cords- and I have not been able to track one down.

Any ideas of where to get one? (Besides making one.)

Last edited by bearisgray; 11-14-2017 at 09:29 AM.