Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Attention Retired Quilters >

Attention Retired Quilters

Attention Retired Quilters

Old 12-04-2017, 01:45 PM
Power Poster

Hi Crispy, here are my answers:

1. Can you keep your sewing area clean and organized after you retire? Yes, but I make a mess every time I start a new project.
2. Can you put together Large blocks of time to quilt? Absolutely. I really think it depends on how important quilting is to you. For me it's a priority so other things slide.
3. Do you actually use up your stash and happily keep from spending retirement funds? I use my stash and just fill in with fabrics I need or can't live without. Also though,my husband is not retired.
4. Or, does your stash bore you and you keep right on shopping? I recently got rid of a lot of my stash that I knew I was never going to use. I gave it away. Love being able to see what I have and love now.
5. Are the floor-to-ceiling stacks of magazines being utilized like you intended? I got rid of my magazines and most of my books quite awhile ago. I just didn't look at them anymore- freed up a ton of space. But that's just me. I get more from Youtube, MSQC etc than books and mags
6. Are you able to take the classes, or go to the Sit and Sews like you planned? I haven't taken classes only because I haven't seen anything that interested me.
Now- having said all this, I don't have grandchildren yet. They would be a much greater priority of course but my kids are slow on this. Two are married, one is engaged

It sounds to me that you want to devote more time for quilting so make it happen!
Old 12-04-2017, 02:23 PM

An old saying goes: "What can be done in no time, will not be done in anytime!" When I had 10 minutes to sew, I sewed for 10 minuets. Now that I have plenty of time to sew, I am not nearly as efficient with my time. But that's not bad as retirement is supposed to be more relaxing. Retirement also gives me more time to do other things, so sometimes sewing takes a back seat, and sewing room has a door I can close on the work in progress
Old 12-04-2017, 02:45 PM

I have to work at keeping my sewing room organized just like it takes effort to pick up around the rest of the house. As for time, if I am in the mood to sew, I can easily spend all day at it, several days in a row. But I do have some regular volunteering work I do outside of the house, and we can have frequent spurts of needing to help out with grandkids, and I still travel extensively on photo trips. So the first few years I was retired I sewed several hours every day, but lately for the last few months I have not sewed at all. I think it all comes down to your priorities—-you can do what you want!
As far as stash is concerned, I hardly ever use it! The new projects I start all seem to need brand new fabrics! I keep thinking I will use it, but it never seems to happen, so if you are like me, do not stock up before retirement but just bank that money to use later. I rarely look at old magazines and have cleared them out. I do have a small library of 30 or so quilt books that I have kept and still occasionally use, or have designs that are still on my bucket list to make.
Old 12-04-2017, 02:59 PM

I retired about 7 yrs ago from being manager of LQS...so I have a big stash and like someone else said...buy while you are working because $$$ is in short supply later. I did buy a HQ midarm quilting machine and I was able to quilt most of my tops that I had finished while working. I have been working at finishing some of my UFO's. I also quilt for others i am careful to keep my quilting room organized so when quilters come to bring their quilts I have patterns, threads and tables clear.

I don't get magazines anymore and have gone through the ones I had, pulled out the patterns that maybe someday will use and put them in a binder. I have only had one class given by out guild so I don't really enjoy them anymore.

Life does get in the way of quilting...but in a good way. Grandchildren to babysit, friends to take to Doctors and I love to work in the garden. I would say sewing is not one of my biggest priority but enjoying life as it comes.
Old 12-04-2017, 03:14 PM

I retired last June. My time is my time. My husband is still working and our daughter is away at college.

I have a room that holds fabric, my cutting table and ironing board. I go between that room and the room where I've moved my sewing machine. I last purchased fabric in August. I want to make the maze quilt for my dh. That's all I've purchased. I've completed my sister-in-law's and daughter's Christmas gifts. I made them each quilts.

My sister was here about a week ago and commented about a tote I had made. I made her one and shipped it today. I'm making the same tote for a girlfriend. I'm hoping to ship that by the weekend.

I gave up buying patterns and magazines long ago. The internet has so many resources and I have enough.

I haven't gone to retreats. I may take my stuff to my girlfriend's home.

Classes.....if I want to I can. I haven't found any I want to take.

I'm enjoying it, although there are times it's strange to be here and not at work. I've pretty much gotten over that!! Enjoy it. Make it what you want it to be.
Old 12-04-2017, 03:18 PM

I had no hobbies before I retired. Family, work, kids activities, and so on occupied all my time. DH was worried that I'd be bored after I retired, so, for a variety of reasons, I took up quilting after retiring.

Now he is sorry he wanted me to have a hobby...

1. Can you keep your sewing area clean and organized after you retire?

No, but I have never done "neat" very well. I seem to lack the 'put it back' gene.

2. Can you put together Large blocks of time to quilt?

Yes, and I do. Second largest block of time goes to grandchildren. Yay!

3. Do you actually use up your stash and happily keep from spending retirement funds?

Yes, I use stash. But the rest of the question is too broad. I happily spend retirement funds for many, many things, my favorite is grand kids. God has indeed blessed me.

4. Or, does your stash bore you and you keep right on shopping?

One of the of the reasons I quilt is so I have an excuse to buy fabric... But I am not bored with my stash.

5. Are the floor-to-ceiling stacks of magazines being utilized like you intended?

Very few quilting magazines in my home.
Old 12-04-2017, 03:23 PM

This has been just great! I've really appreciated the wonderful responses from all you retirees! I have one grown son that is not dating.....so no grandchildren to dote over. THAT would be a dream to top quilting I would have to say. I like the sound of meeting new quilting friends at the LQS. I am headed towards following your lead and getting rid of my magazines....donating, or whatever.

You Quilting Board quilters are the best! That will be a joy....getting to post on the Quilting Board more frequently!

Thanks again for all the responses!
Old 12-04-2017, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Crispy_Frog View Post
I'd like to direct this post to quilters who are lucky enough to be retired now. I've been hoarding fabric and patterns and kits, waiting for the day I have time to quilt. Tell me the truth on the subject:

1. Can you keep your sewing area clean and organized after you retire?
2. Can you put together Large blocks of time to quilt?
3. Do you actually use up your stash and happily keep from spending retirement funds?
4. Or, does your stash bore you and you keep right on shopping?
5. Are the floor-to-ceiling stacks of magazines being utilized like you intended?
6. Are you able to take the classes, or go to the Sit and Sews like you planned?

I'm getting ready to retire in 6 months and I'm always too tired at the end of the day to quilt. I am distracted at work daydreaming about staying at home with some music on and just humming along while I sew. Looking out the window past the sewing machine at the birds in the bird feeder and the butterflies in the garden. (All of which need to be planned and assembled!)

Tell the truth--- is it possible for my dreams to come true?
I have been retired for several years....until this past June, I spent most of my time on my hobbies, which include sewing/quilting. For the past year, I could feel less and less interest in spending so much time on them, and began volunteering at the local animal shelter. Now time is much more limited and what sewing I do is making pet beds for the shelter animals. I have found a lot of balance doing this.

I use my stash to make the pet beds (sometimes called crate comforters).
Old 12-04-2017, 06:11 PM

I love that idea about "crate comforters"!!
Old 12-04-2017, 06:12 PM

I love all the different answers! Everyone experiences retirement differently. I've been retired for 9 years, and fall into the "how did I get everything done when I was working?" category. We are busy almost every. I design/sew/quilt mostly at night. 1. My sewing area is my dining room, so it needs to be packed up for holiday celebrations. 2. No large blocks of time set aside unless I'm on a deadline, or working on an alteration or mending project. 3. My stash is good sized, but I never seem to have exactly what I need, so I shop! 4. My stash doesn't bore me, but I don't want it to be lonely, so I add to it! 5. I have lots of magazines and books, and no...so far haven't made much from them. 6. Classes and sit and sews never really happened. Tried it, didn't like it.

Here's the thing...your dreams are what you want them to be. Keep trying, and figure out what you want/need out of quilting. You just may find yourself staring at the birdfeeder and watching butterflies for hours on end!!