Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Attention Retired Quilters >

Attention Retired Quilters

Attention Retired Quilters

Old 12-04-2017, 07:00 PM
Power Poster

i'm disabled. i used to work many jobs, at time 5 at a time up to 102 hrs a week. i cut down to 3 at 80 hrs a week. i was disabled 7 yrs ago. my week is full of quilting. 4 days out of the week is quilting with different people. i don't have much time for shopping, i have to squeeze it in. I'm working on projects i only like now, being I've made over 300 quilts. if you love it you find time. while working all those jobs. i ate lunch and hand quilted at the same time i was chewing. if you want to do it, you find the time. you don't let anything get in your way. i'm running out of room, so now i do English Paper Peicing now. takes more time and i can use some scraps. Just got back a wonderful quilt from a quilter, it will win a prize, i'm sure. you may change your taste on what you bought awile ago. good luck.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:00 PM

I have been retired for almost a year. I love it and keep as busy as I want to be. I ususally sew 4 or 5 times a week. Check out the Virtural Quilting Weekends on this site. I’ve participated in a few VQW and that really sets out large blocks of time to sew. Great for finishing UFOs. I sew many donation quilts and help run our local chapter of Quilts for Kids. I also recently joined 2 quilting groups that meet at our LQS to “sit and sew”. I have met many new people. I do try and keep my sewing room clean and organized. On days I don’t sew, I may “play in my sewing room” a bit. I use my stash and I am not board with it. I do buy fabric as needed. I do not have may magazines, but enjoy the MSQC Block subscription. In retirement, I do sew often and my husband wonders if I will ever get tired of sewing. I really don’t think I ever will. I have so many “bucket list” projects I want to do!!

Retirement is great! You will love it. I have been to 1 sewing retreat and hope to go to many more. Have a blast!!
Old 12-04-2017, 07:05 PM

I retired 3.5 years ago and love it! My sewing room is never what I'd call "clean' like the magazines--but it's order and I usuallycan find things in it! Ditto where I LA. 2) I do put together large blocks of time to sew or quilt. I took a part time job teaching aquatic wellness classes at the local medical center in July and on those 3 days a week, my time is a smaller block--but yes--a nice block of time is possible. 3& 4) I do use my stash, but am glad that I didn't spend tons of money pre-retirement "stockpiling" fabrics--there's so many awesome fabrics coming out all the time that I see in great quilts and some of the stuff I bought seems rather blah now. But I do have time to work on more scrappy quilts now. 5)no--the stack of mags is just that, a stack! I go through my magazines and books yearly before the guild 'garage' sale and cull them--I have a rule that unless there are 3 projects in a magazine that I definitely want to make--it's gone. It's amazing how from year to year that means a magazine will go! 6)I am Heavily involved in my local guild--teaching beginner classes, an officer, etc. We do monthly classes or sew-ins and I'm all in! I also take classes at major quilt shows and also through my machine quilters guild (I belong to 2 guilds).
Good luck with your retirement and I hope you love it too! Best advice--don't commit to any 'jobs" for at least 6-9 months--you will be shocked how many organizations, people, etc approach you with "now that you retired...."!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-07-2018 at 02:05 PM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 12-04-2017, 08:29 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

I retired in September of 2009. These are my answers:

1. Yes, my sewing room stays organized, although some might call it organized chaos when in process. At the end of each step, everything from that step goes to its place. In our Florida p,ace, my sewing room is a tricked out armoire, so the only things there are those in use.
2. Yes, if 3-5 hours is a large block of time. Mornings is my time to quilt. Afternoons I play bridge. Evenings I do hand work, talk to DH, go to dinner with friends, watch TV.
3. In the last two years, I have bought little fabric, usually things that I just cannot resist—a panel of a decorated Christmas with the northern lights behind it, a blue heron panel perfect for our Florida place, pieces of batik that will go into my Bali star eventually.
4. No, my stash doesn’t bore me. In fact, I often find fabrics while pulling a color that I had completely forgotten. To be honest, I was gifted with about 500 yds of fabric last year. She has taste very different from mine, so shopping her stash is like going to the fabric store.
5. I never developed floor to ceiling stacks of magazines. Instead, I will tear out the one or two patterns that I like and put them in binders. And cull the binders every year.
6. Seldom take classes, because they are not on topics that interest me. Do sit in on charity sews sometimes.

My advice would be: you now have the time to concentrate on stretching your quilting boundaries. Do something that you said, “But I could never do that”. You now have the time to do it right.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:37 PM
Power Poster

I think most people find the time to do what they really want to do -

unless there is some kind of family emergency or someone needs long term care - which totally changes things.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:35 AM

I retired a few years ago, bought a new sewing machine, and began teaching myself how to quilt. For a while I was able to quilt 3 or 4 days a week almost all day long ... and loved it. Unfortunately, my mother had some serious falls and also developed dementia, so she has required a lot of my time. Since I've had no time to make quilts, I've been doing some hand embroidery in the evenings. So, "yes" you can sew as much as you want ... as long as life doesn't get in the way.

I try to keep my sewing area organized but I'm usually looking for something. Don't buy magazines. The only reason I have a fabric stash now is because Hancock's here closed and I had $100 in gift certificates to use up. I typically would only have enough fabric on hand to do 2 or 3 quilts. Nowhere nearby to take classes ... not that I'm much on doing that anyway with all the info available online.

Just go for it ... see what works for you ... enjoy and have fun!
Old 12-05-2017, 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by Crispy_Frog View Post
I love that idea about "crate comforters"!!
Just have to be a little careful with sizes....I make 24 x 24 inches. I always end up a little shy, especially when I use fleece which launders so nicely at the shelter.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:20 AM

I was forced to retire 3 yrs ago due to my disability. I am a stage 3 Melanoma Survivor, and I also have fibro and Psoriatic Arthritis. I am ever so thankful for my small stash as well as scraps that generous friends have given me. I do buy occasionally to fill in empty spots for a particular project or even for a whole project (gifts). Living on a fixed income does not allow for many extra expenditures. As for time??? Some times, I get to sew a lot, some times not. I am taking care (driving, shopping etc) for my parents. I belong to a guild, and I do go to my LQS sit and sew weekly
Old 12-05-2017, 03:31 AM

I technically retired 3 years ago, but it took a couple of years to slow down and get organized. Right now it is a mess. I can't even find the vacuum.

I am amazed at how little of the stash I am using up.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:44 AM

I have been retired about 12 years and didn't start quilting/sewing until a couple of years into retirement. The first two years I had a part time job and no hobbies as such. Needed something to keep me out of trouble....little did I know LOL

Can you keep your sewing area clean and organized after you retire? If you aren't neat before retirement, you won't be especially neat after retirement. At least that has been my experience. I try but I have a little sign in my sewing room that reads: "you know that feeling you get when all your UFO;s are finished and your sewing room is neat and tidy....... me neither"
2. Can you put together Large blocks of time to quilt? I can put together large blocks, but I still have to cook, clean, do laundry, grocery shop, etc. I live alone but those chores still take my time. plus my 87 year old Mom lives next door and she is beginning to need a lot more attention. I also go to the gym 2-3 times a week. So I can stay strong, not fall down, and put on my clothes without leaning against something. Take care of your body! and you will be better off in so many ways.
3. Do you actually use up your stash and happily keep from spending retirement funds? When I first started quilting, I bought a lot of fabric mainly because it was; one on sale, or two I just liked it. Now I find that a lot of it does not coordinate very well and I have to buy more to put with it to put together a quilt. I suggest buying what you need for a quilt all at once and storing it together.
4. Or, does your stash bore you and you keep right on shopping? As I said, it doesn't bore me, I just find it hard to put pieces togeher. I buy basically backs and solids to make any quilt I want to make. Every once in a while I see something I simply must have but basically, I don't buy much fabric anymore.
5. Are the floor-to-ceiling stacks of magazines being utilized like you intended? Got rid of my magazines, again subscribed to about 3 or 4 in the beginning, saved them all and then found I didn't want to take the time to go back and look at them again.And they were taking up valuable real estate in my sewing room. Stopped all subscriptions, donated magazines to guild Quilt Show, and get my inspiration from the internet or guild activities.
6. Are you able to take the classes, or go to the Sit and Sews like you planned? I belong to two guilds and when they offer a class, I will take it if it appeals to me. I have several close friends and we just plan sewing days and get together at each other's homes and sew for that day, sometimes making individual project, sometimes we all make the same thing.
Retirement is the best thing ever. I wish you luck and much enjoyment in it. But remember, you worked a long time to get to this time in your life, don't let a hobby become a job.

Last edited by Murphy224; 12-05-2017 at 03:47 AM.