Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Is fabric cheap in America? >

Is fabric cheap in America?

Is fabric cheap in America?

Old 01-16-2018, 06:25 AM
Power Poster

I buy a lot from Missouri Star Quilt Company and they have great sales and all-over good pricing. I've never gotten bad fabric from them. There are a few others I like but they are my main source.
It's pretty easy for me because I like certain fabric lines so I always know what i'm getting (at least so far)
Old 01-16-2018, 06:27 AM

we have quiet a few thrift stores here and they all carry fabrics. first place I go to in the store. Find some great bargains.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:48 AM

Yes, fabric is cheap here if you are on the lookout for it. Hobby Lobby has coupons and their fabric is very good. I shop thrift stores and my stash from there is tremendous. I also have bought beautiful name brand fabric at flea markets. My local quilt store sells name brand fabric at $10.99 a yard but end of bolts and unpopular fabric get a flat rate of $6.99. I have made lovely quilts from these end bolts. We were in Canada at a huge store and I just couldn’t pay for even one yard of fabric, it was horrendously expensive. I usually buy from online stores now with flat shipping of $5. Wish you all had our cheap rates.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:59 AM
Power Poster

I believe that anything less than $11 a yard is pretty good. I've found some good buys over the years, but I have also had a lot given to me by my sister. Now that is a bargain.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:21 PM

I do not buy any pre-cuts, they are very expensive, especially Moda and some other brands.
I will buy FQs (in a matched group) occasionally, especially if I attend a quilt show - Malvern, for instance. Have you heard of Doughty's? I am lucky to live nearby, they are also online, and have lovely fabric. But, I find a lot of the fabric I use in charity shops and sales, I repurpose a lot of fabric too, so perhaps I am looking through rose tinted specs with regard to fabric prices.
Cheap fabric is cheap fabric, and the people who make it are probably paid very little too.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:08 PM

I usually shop at Joann's with coupons or on sale, Hobby Lobby, their's is always 30% off the list price on quilting fabric, at least at my local store, and Walmart, they carry Waverly fabric at $2.99 for solids and $3.99 for the prints. Waverly started out in upholstery and drapery fabrics. When I purchase online, it is usually through Connecting Threads. They have a lot of sales and I usually purchase their batting at a really good price. I don't have the extra funds to purchase through the local QS, unless it is the only place I can get a needed fabric or from the sales room reduced to 4 or 5 dollars.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:30 PM

When we visit our family in New Hampshire, we go to certain thrift shops. At just one last year, I got 15 yards of good quilting cotton for $3.50! I also buy from GoodWill and I shop online sales. If I see a shop that carries the fabrics I like, I sign up for the newsletters & get notice of any sales. Anything over 30% off I look at, but the prices need to be cheap as I'm on a fixed income. I have also been blessed with lots of fabric from friends who quilt & don't want their scraps. It gives me lots of choices.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:35 PM

A friend and I go to the quilt show in Paducah, Kentucky every April. We go to Eleanor Burns Quilt in a day shop where she has fabric for $5.50 a yard. We stock up for the year. Good quality though it may be last years fabric. To me beautiful fabric is never out of date. We also go to Hancock’s of Paducah- a fabric shop that covers about 1/2 acre. Their fabric runs from $6.00 upto $16.00.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:07 PM

I pay about $10.99 to $13.99 depending on what I'm using it for. It's good quality. I think the difference is that we have so many choices of where to buy that makes the difference. There's a place about an hour south of me that has top quality fabric for $2.98 a yard. I want to go back. But I do mostly scrap quilting with Other Peoples Scraps. My friend all give me there stuff.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:10 PM

Joann's Fabrics does carry some higher quality fabrics and usually have at least one coupon going at a time. Most of the time that I do shop at a quilt store it is because we are on holiday and my husband likes to let me wander in them. He usually picks out more expensive fabrics than I do without a special need. I do have a large stash but figure that I will not be able to buy much after I retire in 4 years. I was able to go back to Austria about 4 years ago and found that decent fabric was very expensive there.

Last edited by doris.meek13088; 01-17-2018 at 10:12 PM. Reason: spelling