Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Boom 20 - Hummingbird 2 month group >

Boom 20 - Hummingbird 2 month group

Boom 20 - Hummingbird 2 month group

Old 03-13-2018, 05:33 PM
Power Poster

Those are so cool, Givio! Several of our peeps have the templates. Now I'm really excited to get mine! I also got the block book to go with them.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:26 PM

(Block 2 says 'side swap'-- I meant there weren't board names on them.)

Templates? Aren't the blocks made with a ruler? Where's the link for where you got them?
Old 03-13-2018, 06:40 PM

Bootsy I feel terrible for you. Stay safe. We have lots of snow still but melting fast this week with all the sunshine.

I have the angle templates also but never really “ got” them
Old 03-13-2018, 10:11 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by givio View Post
(Block 2 says 'side swap'-- I meant there weren't board names on them.)

Templates? Aren't the blocks made with a ruler? Where's the link for where you got them?
I’d say they are really templates. You can buy them from Off the Wall quilting, online.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
I was watching some of the angleplay videos, looks interesting. I wasn't thrilled w/ all the oversize / waste. I was thinking w/ all the effort into cutting template shapes, and their talk of the precise angle edges to make seam aligning easy they would have been a little more precise w/ making them "right" the first time w/o having to cut down to size after making the unit. But w/ that said have to say the finish is great!
When making the triangle units with two fabrics, there is a bit of waste.. however, now they actually have "base unit" templates that gives much more accurate cutting with less waste. But Margaret Miller, who made the original templates, firmly believed that one should use 100 different fabrics in each quilt so if she ran out of one fabric, she always had a dozen more similar it to pick from. So she was not so worried about waste as she was fascinated with the blocks and the process and the finished projects. Her classes were a riot of color and fabric and fun!
I haven't gotten the Base templates though. Happy with the ones I have. Very happy!
If you ever get a chance to take a class from her, do it!!

Last edited by Bluelady; 03-13-2018 at 11:15 PM. Reason: add sentence
Old 03-14-2018, 04:43 AM

I watched the angle play videos to see if I wanted to buy them. In her videos she over cuts everything, sews it together then cuts it down to size w/ the rulers (templates)
Originally Posted by jaba View Post
Bluelady, love the block! Thank you so much.
I did a bunch of blocks last year for the Boom with the angle play templates. I when they first came out Joanlizbay and I bought them right away. This year, I left them in Wyoming. The rulers are so easy to use and come out perfect. Kass not sure what you mean by wasted fabric and cutting down because they are very precise....hardly any waste at all.
Old 03-14-2018, 04:53 AM

I don't mind "waste" if there is a purpose to it, if it can't be done accurately w/o it. But the videos showed (to my mind) waste just b/c. Waste is a big issue w/ Boom blocks but also I do a lot of fussy cutting in all my blocks, the over cutting and trimming is not for me. I do like the idea of the base blocks or separate ones for precise cutting, I didn't see those I'll have to go back and look. Her website I found confusing, it is designed for people who know what they want, not so much for people trying to figure out what they want. lol
Originally Posted by Bluelady View Post
When making the triangle units with two fabrics, there is a bit of waste.. however, now they actually have "base unit" templates that gives much more accurate cutting with less waste. But Margaret Miller, who made the original templates, firmly believed that one should use 100 different fabrics in each quilt so if she ran out of one fabric, she always had a dozen more similar it to pick from. So she was not so worried about waste as she was fascinated with the blocks and the process and the finished projects. Her classes were a riot of color and fabric and fun!
I haven't gotten the Base templates though. Happy with the ones I have. Very happy!
If you ever get a chance to take a class from her, do it!!
Old 03-14-2018, 07:58 AM

The problem I run into with the angle play is cutting them right. Some you cut right side only some wrong side of fabric up...etc. Ive wasted some because of my own fault of not paying attention. There are several I have made but some I wouldn't touch because of the accuracy you have to have with that pattern. To me paper piecing wastes a lot of fabric but if you love the block Id say its probably worth it. I have A thru L or M templates but I usually only use the smaller ones. I like the fact it shows you pictures of the blocks and also what templates to cut of each!
Old 03-14-2018, 08:31 AM

I only use the boomer's fabric in the solid triangles and make the two tone triangles out of my own fabric. That way, no waste at all for the boom F8
But as Joan mentioned.. I do have to pay attention to which direction I am cutting them! The first block I did here, Sewbiz's , actually had a cutting "opps", with two of the triangles facing the wrong way. So.. eh, I made a different block than originally planned!
Old 03-14-2018, 11:02 AM

Beautiful blocks Bluelady