Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ironing board cover >

Ironing board cover

Ironing board cover

Old 03-27-2018, 03:59 AM

Default Ironing board cover

My big board needs recovering. Before I had a layer of batting then a silver cover I got from JoAnns. I've been reading on here about wool pressing mats. I was gifted a very large piece of black wool. Now I have a layer of batting with the wool on top, not tacked down yet. Should it be left like this and tacked down or could I put a silver cover on top? I use a lot of Best Press if that matters.
Old 03-27-2018, 04:22 AM
Power Poster

I would just cover it with a sturdy cotton fabric. I have my wool pressing mat covered with ticking, the kind with the woven stripes. I like the stripes as it makes it easy to keep the patches straight, especially long strips.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:11 AM

I haven't used those silver covers in years. I just use the heavy cotton ones from Joann. They work really well. I have a wool blanket that I've been meaning to put under my cover on my ironing board.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:26 AM
Power Poster

I don't think it matters whether you put a cotton cover or silver on top, next to the iron.
All personal preference .... some will swear either ways is the best!

I'm not even certain myself. The last time I changed things up, I put the silver stuff (sorry, don't know what they call it!) as I was convinced by the LQS that it was the answer.

I use a lot of Best Press too .... either ways, the fabrics need to be changed up and washed with the excess Best Press.

For the silver (again because of the LQS) I had stapled mine onto my big board ... it eventually got coated, and I scrubbed it down and it seemed to be fine. I have quite a build up again, and need to go at it and scrub. Not sure how well it will clean off this time?

I'd be happy to hear comments from others re Best Press and the silver.
Please? and Thanks!
Old 03-27-2018, 05:41 AM

Thanks for these answers. The main reason I was thinking silver is because you can get them at JoAnns to fit a big board and it has a drawstring.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:27 AM

My first cover for the big board was ticking cause I liked having those stripes to go by but replaced it with the silver fabric. Now my iron just glides smoothly. Before my ticking got so stained from starch. Now I should think I won't have that issue. Should be able to wipe the cover after each use of starch. I did leave the ticking cover underneath so added cushion.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:36 AM

I use the home made vodka substitute for best press and it works wonderfully. I put it in a small cosmetic spray bottle and spray the seams as I piece.
Old 03-28-2018, 05:05 AM
Power Poster

Make sure that whatever you use doesn't block the heat and steam from penetrating to the wool. The whole idea of the wool pad is to reflect both back to your block so you press from both sides, not make it cushy. Putting a reflective metallic cover over the pad may defeat the purpose.
Old 03-28-2018, 06:39 AM
mac

Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
I use the home made vodka substitute for best press and it works wonderfully. I put it in a small cosmetic spray bottle and spray the seams as I piece.
Vodka spray? What is that?

Also, what silver pad? Is this the stuff you use in making pot holders?
Old 03-28-2018, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by mac View Post
Vodka spray? What is that?

Also, what silver pad? Is this the stuff you use in making pot holders?
I don't know how to make the vodka starch. The silver pad is an iron board cover you can buy for regular ironing boards and for big boards with elastic or a drawstring. I think you can also buy the fabric if you want to make your own.