Finding that I'm vintage

Old 04-15-2018, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by mandyrose View Post
omg! this is so funny to read this today, my clothes line after 17 years fell apart last summer went to lowes the other day and asked a young girl where i could find the clothes lines and i knew the second the words where out of my mouth and the look on her face i knew she had no clue what a clothes line was lol i quickly asked where the rope is, well i found it but it's not the same it's braided nylon thinki'll shop around and hope i can find a good ole cotton rope........not holding my breath tho.
Try a feed store that also sells other ranching needs. A cotton rope was used as a calf rope when I was growing up. Daddy made me jumping ropes from them.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:47 AM
Power Poster

yep, what is an iron? and what is a slip? recently asked by my youngest granddtr. Oh and my husband was shopping once and asked a female clerk where the bath sponges were. She said they don't make them anymore! really? well ,maybe one day the ocean will be dry.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:24 AM

I have vinyl coated clothes line. Have had that type for over 20 years. Cotton clothes line, yes it is sold locally, rots in our climate. I only use it for crafts. You ca buy it through Amazon if you cannot find it locally. Home Depot sells it here.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by cindyb View Post
Our Guild will be having a Quilt Show in the fall. My Gkids have been sewing for a couple years now (ages 9 and 10). They want to make things to sell and I have made some suggestions of easier things. One was to make a little quit to put over a buggy - then 'What's a Buggy?' Next I suggested making coasters and bowls out of clothes lines - then 'What's a clothes line'. Really?
Tell her there was no computers if you really want to see an expression! Lol. I asked an eight year old what time it was, and after wandering around my house (where there is a clock in every room), she came back and told me she “could not find a clock”. She had only ever seen digital. Lol. We spent a lovely hour teaching her how “my type” of clock worked. I am “vintage” too.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:52 PM

Vintage here, too! And darned proud of it!

What's a diaper pin? What are rubber pants?

Tothill. My clothesline is still the good old-fashioned blue-vinyl type.
Old 04-15-2018, 01:45 PM

Walgreens in our area has cotton clothesline rope.
Old 04-15-2018, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by tranum View Post
Walgreens in our area has cotton clothesline rope.
Here in Canada, where rain, snow, bitter cold (freezing), and relentless heat-waves are all part of our daily life, I wonder how well a cotton line would stand up.

At least with my blue vinyl line, I can wipe it down (when needed), and it's so durable, waterproof, and doesn't stain or build with mildew.
Old 04-16-2018, 04:49 AM

It's also funny to take them to an antique shop. The wonder in their eyes to see a rotary phone, coiled phone cord and a telephone booth - 'you had to put quarters and dimes in there to make a call?'
Then there's the typewriter. Oh my!!!!
Old 04-16-2018, 06:53 AM

I used 1930s film cameras for a long time. Some air safety crew insisted that I turn it on before I could board an airplane. Their supervisor straightened it out. I thought it was funny. Don't need no stinkin' batteries.

My GF gave me a fitbit and told me not to wear it beside my watch since the electronics would mess with it. I Just grinned .. then she remembered my watch is a wind up and doesn't use a battery. Heck, one car I had in high school had a wind up clock on the dash.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Endora View Post
Vintage here, too! And darned proud of it!

What's a diaper pin? What are rubber pants?

Tothill. My clothesline is still the good old-fashioned blue-vinyl type.
Old-fashioned? When I was growing up, our wash line was metal. Some kind of strong wire: really a cable of many smaller wires.twisted together. It really held those barn jeans blowing in a strong wind. Such fun trying to hang them up, too. We used clothes-pins made of wood. A round piece of wood about 5 inches long with a slit cut about half way up. The really old clothes-pins had a piece of wire at the top of the slit. They were called "iron-clad". They held on tight in the wind, well, most of the time. Often we had to go collect the dry clothes from various places around the yard.