Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Boom 21 - Sign-ups now open thru 5/31*** >

Boom 21 - Sign-ups now open thru 5/31***

Boom 21 - Sign-ups now open thru 5/31***

Old 05-29-2018, 10:39 AM

Oh GramE, ha ha

Pam, a block with 40 some pieces is definitely not a beginner block. Quilters Cache site have blocks listed by ease and some times I think they are cracked. When you have to join a bunch of tiny pieces together even if they are just squares and half square triangles you need to be precise and precision usually comes with time and practice

Three weeks ago we still had ice on our lakes here in Minnesota and yesterday we had the highest recorded temp on Memorial Day. 100 degrees, in high 90’s today, most of our public schools don’t have air conditioning. Decision was made to close school and sending the grateful kids home. They say variety is the spice of life.
Old 05-29-2018, 11:15 AM

I'm not liking the "variety" of this year already Terriamn...its been over 100 heat index all weekend. They had the Bikers Jamboree this weekend at the old Kemper Military School soccer fields..People rode from Columbia Mo to Boonville Mo on the Katy trail in the heat then camped (and drank and partied) till all hours of the night on Sat/Sun.
Fireworks woke my grandson and I up..sounded like a great display. One of our ambulance drivers here in town told me they had a LOT of calls for overheated people...TOO warm for May.
I joined a block of the month club out of Brunswick Mo. Had seen the pattern and thought I would enjoy it.. Not so much...all the blocks of the animals are 1 or 1 and 1/2 in size and tiny and its going to be a pain to do...I'm not a fan of small pieces like that. Ive only got Block 2 out of a years worth to receive....might be a UFO for sure!
Be cool everyone...praying for rain here in Mo and cooler weather!!
Old 05-29-2018, 11:20 AM

I am a summer lover, but this year the heat has come way to hard and fast for sure!!!! We had to turn our AC on in May, have never done that before, never turned it on until June. I got set way behind on my garden b/c it went from late winter (well into normal spring for us) straight to 90+ and this week 100+ temps.
Old 05-29-2018, 11:53 AM

Hi all. I am a usually lurker on the Boomerang board. I have had the pleasure of participating twice (fairy quilt and Mardi Gras quilt) and get to do it again this round (patriotic quilt)! I'm thrilled to have the time to be creative this summer! I am not retired but I do have three grandchildren from two sons. My family is spread out all over the country and this summer I will be traveling a lot to visit. I teach geography and am working on a PhD at LSU (Go Tigers!) and one day may actually write a dissertation and earn that PhD. In the meantime, I love learning while I play with my grandkids and teach. My hometown is New Orleans and I live in Brandon, MS with my husband and father-in-law.

Everyone that has made blocks for me has given me wonderful treasures. I have not made any quilts from them, yet. Maybe this summer is the summer of quilt finalizing. Thank you, Janice, for continuing to host this Boom! You keep everything beautifully organized and take all the stress away!
Old 05-29-2018, 01:36 PM

Hi ladies (waving excitedly)

I'm Billi and this is my 7th boom

I have been married 30 years and I have 2 grown daughters My oldest is getting married in March. Mr Bill and I recently picked up and moved from San Diego County to Green Valley Arizona. We are currently in a rental while our "WE ARE NEVER MOVING AGAIN" house is being built. Rumor has it will be done mid August (fingers crossed) then there are a couple of things we need to finish before we actually move in.

I started sewing as a child working with my Mom she owned her own business making custom drapes, bed spreads and slip covers. when she retired from that she my sister and I took up quilting. It was the beginning of Elenor Burns, rotary cutters and easier patterns era. After a few years for several reasons I put all my toys and tools away thinking I would never make another quilt. About 5 years ago I walked into a quilt shop and fell in love all over again. While I am not quite the outside the box quilter Kass is (I strive to be her) there is not a quilting rule I am not afraid to push on if not actually break. I get a vision in my head and sometimes to get what I want I have to use methods that are a bit different. I'm excited for this round to start.

Also Bluelady congratulations on your job and up coming move I hope once you get settled in you comeback to the swaps and shape some pictures with us.

Last edited by Billi; 05-29-2018 at 01:45 PM.
Old 05-29-2018, 01:36 PM

Great joke GramE!

Welcome Newbie's, you are going to love it here! This will be my third boom that I will be participating in. It's so much fun to see all the block creations these wonderful quilters here in this group are known for. I'm so happy to be a part of this quilting family.

DH and I have been married 49 years and have 4 children... 2 boys and 2 girls. We have 7 grandchildren that keep us pretty busy when we are here in Wisconsin. We are retired and spend time between Wisconsin and coastal Alabama. I recently bought a "new to me" Babylock Jewel long arm with robotics on a 10' frame and am looking forward to quilting many quilt tops that have been accumulating over the years.

Our hostess Janice, spends a lot of her time keeping this swap well coordinated. We appreciate all that she does for us!

Jan
Old 05-29-2018, 03:51 PM
Power Poster

LOL, GramE! Cute joke.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:05 PM

Hi. I am Ann. DH and I will celebrate our 50th Anniversary in July. We have 2 sons and 4 grandsons. I love to travel, garden and quilt. Janice has been very kind with my questions. This is my 3rd Boom and I am improving with each block I make. I wish I could have each of my blocks be a little over 12 1/2. I am amazed at the talent of the other people on this swap. So many blocks are fantastic. I am cutting my fabric now and will post by next week. Looking forward to this.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:51 PM

I did it! I finished the second “beginner” barn block and it came out to 12 1/2. Thanks everyone for your help...I set up my machine to do a scant 1/4 inch and really took my time and it worked. Ok. I can do this.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]595158[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	19B214F0-508A-4FB4-A644-74892E33373C.jpeg
Views:	76
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	595158  
Old 05-29-2018, 09:08 PM
Power Poster

Pamela, of course you can! I love that barn block! Where did you find it?