Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Broken wrist >

Broken wrist

Broken wrist

Old 07-05-2018, 06:20 PM

I use a 5# weight on the far end of my ruler to stabilize it. Maybe that would help? I learned that from watching Jordan Fabrics on YouTube.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:55 PM

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I have a dear friend who is going thru the same thing - she broke her wrist after slipping on ice. Needed surgery, had a plate and 7 screws implanted. She's currently going through PT and they told her it could be as long as 2 years before she's fully recovered. She's feeling somewhat depressed about her prognosis and keeps offering to sell her longarm to me. I told her it wasn't time for that yet, although I will come over and quilt some stuff on it for her, if it makes her feel better. I still have hope that she will recover full use of her arm, even if she doesn't. <3

I have done this, so it might work for you:

Use clamps. You might end up needing to use a couple different cutting mats and rulers, but you can do a lot of straight cuts if you clamp both ends of the ruler. You might also ask around your friends and guild to see if there is an Accuquilt or some other kind of fabric cutting system available for you to use temporarily.
Old 07-06-2018, 04:34 AM

I have no solutions for you, but do have a lot of sympathy. I broke my left wrist and had the same problems. Living alone and not being able to even use a can opener was humbling. One of my coworkers (female) jokingly offered to come help me put my bra on every day and I lived in pull-on pants for 6 weeks. I did learn how to roll out of my bathtub rather than using my hands to lift myself out, so I'm calling it a learning experience. Thinking of you and wishing you all the best.
Old 07-06-2018, 02:12 PM

see if someone can make you a version of the Quilter's Slidelock or buy one. Your arm would be well away from the fabric. Or see if a quilting friend with an accuquilt or sizzix would cut some fabric for you.

I had surgery on a wrist/thumb and I was able to use my slide lock. I also bought a Martelli Quilting Halo. I could just hold the gripper between thumb and first finger and was able to play with free motion quilting.

If you lived close enough to me, I'd help you cut.
Old 07-06-2018, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I would use this as an excuse to invest in an Accuquilt Go! Big (electric) die cutting machine and one or two dies. It would allow you to cut pieces for a quilt without pressuring your left hand. I would consider it therapy for my mental health. Plus it provides opportunities for Christmas gift lists for years to come.
This is exactly what I would suggest. The electric one is wonderful. I bought several dies through Amazon and saved some money too.
I hope you heal soon.
Old 07-06-2018, 03:14 PM
Power Poster

Aww, so sorry to hear this!
I have a different idea. If by chance you have Craftsy Unlimited you could watch shows while you're healing.
Good luck to you!
Old 07-06-2018, 05:19 PM

Try putting a 3 lb hand weight on the ruler. then you just need a tiny hand pressure to hold it.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:13 PM

Wow--sounds like a bad situation. Couple thoughts--definitely ask for a referral to an occupational therapist--they figure out how to help you continue to do the things you want/need to do and have an amazing amount of resources and tools that can help you. Your PT is there to help you strengthen your arm and get it working again, the OT is there to help you get back to normal activities.
Second thought is to get an Accuquilt Go Big--the electric one. You can cut an amazing amount of things with the correct dies. Another thought is that many shops offer BOM and for an extra charge, may be willing to do the next step of cutting the shapes for you. Lastly, while you are progressing toward total healing, you can get some kits that use prefused applique shapes--most catalogs have them, and work on those.
Old 07-07-2018, 03:47 AM

I was going to suggest finding a local quilt guild and ask them to cut some basic pieces for you for the donation quilts. But I like the suggestion of taking this to your PT and ask them for suggestions. They may have some ideas from dealing with stroke patients or some things that will actually help in gaining the use of your arm again, knowing what your particular needs are.
Old 07-07-2018, 03:49 AM

I broke mine few days before mothers day this year. find some weights to hold down material. I also am in a bind, did you have pins & plate added to your wrist? I did. I have started to become a cyborg. per my sons laughter. anyway back to this, yes having a hard time to cut ,oh yeah left hand too, so righthanded here. also for the crocheting too but I am doing ok with that one. so just to cut stuff! the weight is ok but still wants to slip a bit. so hang in there you will do just fine