fake Singer warning

Old 07-22-2018, 08:21 AM

Default fake Singer warning

Many of you know this, but for people new to collections[ATTACH=CONFIG]598212[/ATTACH]. Their are fake Singer treadles out there. 15 clones with strong ( garish?) colors on the decals often with treadle and motors in the same cabinet.

They look like spotless old machines from 30 feet away. My sis spotted one and took me to the store for a looksee Hmm Memphis decals on a 15? Hologram sticker. Feed dog dial. I don't think so. It may be ok for a visual accent, but buyer beware. I haven't tried sewing on one.

$45. told me that the shop keeper knew it wasn't real.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	fake singer b.jpg
Views:	3966
Size:	348.2 KB
ID:	598212  
Old 07-22-2018, 09:50 AM
Banned

Leon I know ISMACS doesn't show the Memphis(Sphinx) decals on a 15 but they are out there. I've seen a couple of them.
The reproduction machines aren't fakes, they were sold by Singer. What they aren't, is quality machines like we're used to. The badge, feed dog drop, modern electrical connection, tension assembly, and cheaply made cabinet are all tells of a repro. The first one I ever saw in the wild was at a Goodwill and they wanted $180 for it. When I told them it wasn't an antique machine and pointed out all the things about it that proved it, they didn't believe me.

Cari
Old 07-22-2018, 10:13 AM

I think they even are given a subnumber but I can't remember the details; nostialgia 15s with feed dog setting knob on the bed.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:55 AM

janome still makes treadles too. Many areas of the world don't have electrical power, and sects like the Amish also need new machines occasionally
https://www.sewvacdirect.com/janome-...RoCJnoQAvD_BwE

These singer ones around are truly garish though. This from the woman with neon lime fingernails and pink hair.
Old 07-22-2018, 01:38 PM

Thanks for the input..I am still learning from you all.
Old 07-22-2018, 06:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
janome still makes treadles too. Many areas of the world don't have electrical power, and sects like the Amish also need new machines occasionally
https://www.sewvacdirect.com/janome-...RoCJnoQAvD_BwE

These singer ones around are truly garish though. This from the woman with neon lime fingernails and pink hair.
Yes but the Janome is an obvious modern machine, there's no way it can be passed off as a vintage or antique. The 712 has been around for several years now.

Cari
Old 07-23-2018, 04:48 AM

I am a collector of anything “sewing”! I love this board and continue to learn more all the time. Thanks so much for this information. I haven’t seen one of the fakes but think I would recognize it. Good to know they are out there. Thank you.
Old 07-23-2018, 05:53 AM

For a little more info - http://www.singersewinginfo.co.uk/15/ There are a couple of different decals used, I think the RAF is a tad different as well. The serial number, I think, is on the front of the bed. Should list 15CH or 15NL (China or Taiwan). Also several threads here on QB.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 07-24-2018, 01:38 PM

The most telling difference, if you can see the top of the arm, is that the Chinese repro say "Singer Sewing Machine Company" rather than "Singer Manufacturing Company". Just because a company has obtained the rights to use the name Singer on their product does not make them a genuine Singer (i.e. Simanco) at least in my estimation. I have seen them on CL and ShopGoodwill (even with the manufacturers "made in china" tag plainly displayed) getting as much as a true vintage singer even though they don't have the quality.

But then, for people looking for a simple display piece, they definitely are shiny!
Old 07-25-2018, 06:51 PM

Our local charity shop had one and sold it for $125 .

K