Coupons - the fine print

Old 09-29-2018, 07:17 AM

I learned a long time ago not to get too excited about 50% off coupons at Joann's. I can't tell you how many times I have made a special trip to get a specific piece of fabric that I might use my coupon on, only to find that the fabric was already on sale or not eligible. I've learned to have the clerk scan it before they cut. Michael's is another store where coupons are deceiving. The funny thing is, I'm generally not a coupon clipper, but I love a bargain, especially at my favorite stores.
Old 09-29-2018, 07:33 AM

Like many of you, I'm not happy with Joann Fabric and haven't been for years. Because of a bad on-line order and terrible customer service I've been in a private feud with them for the last year or so, unfortunately I don't have as many options to shop as I once did. I make a big effort to buy local but more and more even with shipping costs added in I do so much better online. It's just not a business practice I like, this artificially inflating the base price of things knowing that people will only buy them on "sale" and gleefully taking their money if they really need something and can't wait for the sale. Keep this in mind it is how furniture companies work as well, look at all the half off sales and realize they are still making a profit! Don't fall for MSRP (manufacturer's suggested retail price) because it is just a pipe dream and not anything realistic.

What I can say nice about Joann is that the extra wide quilt backs rarely go on sale and are an excellent way to use those coupons!
Old 09-29-2018, 07:43 AM
Power Poster

The coupon thing applies to many stores and services.

A coupon can be a good thing if it truly does save one some money.

I agree that it is the customer's responsibility to read the coupon carefully. I just mind having to read three paragraphs of very small print to see what all the exclusions are.
Old 09-29-2018, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Barbie View Post
Several years ago, I went to Joann's with a 50% coupon on regular priced items. When I got to the store, I noticed an add that said "everything in the store is on sale". Last time I fell for that gimmick.
I recently wrote an email to JoAnn's about this same issue. Additionally I mentioned that trying to find something at regular price online was almost impossible. I suggested they offer a filter to list regular price items only, so people could use the coupons. Answer: We'll look into it."

Please write to JoAnn's about your grievances. If the company realizes how much money they are loosing with their mark-up to mark-down and coupon hoops, they might just might consider being more straight forward.
Old 09-29-2018, 10:42 AM

I received an email from QB today regarding:

" Did you know we have a mailing list for sewing coupons and deals? If you would like to receive special offers from our advertisers, click this link, select "Quilting Board Offers" and hit "Update""

Does anyone know if this is a marketing ploy for ads in your email rather than decent discount coupons?
Old 09-29-2018, 01:25 PM

Joann's favorite trick....50% off all regular priced things, but EVERYTHING you want or need is on sale. I even went the day before to find out what was not on sale, then returned the next day to use my coupon only to find that all those non-sale items were now on sale.
Old 09-29-2018, 01:31 PM

The coupons are an advertising gimmick to get you into the store. They think that since you took the time to come into the store to use the coupon that you will buy something to make the stop worth your while. I have found that it isn't good to buy several things at one time unless you have done the math before you check out. I have reviewed my receipt after getting home and discovered that the 10% off the total purchase actually rang up as .01%. I forgot to take my receipt the next time I went to the store but I told them about it. They said that always bring in the receipt and they will correct errors. How about all the customers that don't check the receipt? Just a few days ago I used a 70% coupon and the total didn't sound right but I was in a hurry and didn't check until I got home. It rang up at 50% instead of 70%. I swear she scanned the coupon so what happened? I will take the receipt in next time I go over there. I don't feel like I should have to babysit the receipts , but at that store I do. Usually I like to take my neighbor along because she watches them like a hawk and asks them the price as each item is rang up. Most people don't have the nerve to do that.
Old 09-29-2018, 02:32 PM
Power Poster

The last time I went to Hobby Lobby, many years ago, I tried to use a coupon on a sewing pattern. The sign on the patterns said "every day low price". So at the register they said it was on sale, couldn't use coupon. I asked for the manager. He was a very young man. I said the sign says "every day low price". He said "it is on sale at that price". I said, "it doesn't say that". He said "that's what it means". I said "that is deceptive". I bought the pattern because I needed it, but have never set foot back in any Hobby Lobby.
Old 09-30-2018, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
I had a coupon for a "sewing notion" at Joann. I picked up an Omnigrid template and was told, that was a quilting notion - not eligible for the coupon. I was directed to a wall on the far side of the store. Found an almost identical Omnigrip template, $1 more. Somehow THAT was not eligible either, despite coming from the "notion" wall.

The cashier was very nice and worked with me to override it and get down to almost the coupon value.
I got annoyed with that one too. When I tried to buy a quilting notion I was told that the coupon was not good for that. When I asked why not she said it had to come from the "notions wall". When I asked where that was she didn't know. She asked another cashier who also didn't know. A third cashier clearly didn't know either but finally said "I think it's where you get elastic". There are notions on several aisles in that store. They either need to have this so called notions wall clearly marked or train their employees where this wall is or make the coupon more specific.
Old 09-30-2018, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by lwbuchholz View Post
Is there an app like this that can be used with a computer? I don't have a smart phone so miss out on a lot but money is too tight for a smart phone.
Lynda
I think it may be only Canadian and only for using on a cell phone. I'm sure there are US apps just like it.

Watson