Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Elna sewing machine >

Elna sewing machine

Elna sewing machine

Old 03-26-2017, 06:28 PM

Well, on my Brother it means: (1) I can sew from my recliner when my back is giving me trouble (2) I don't have to chase the foot pedal (3) You can set speed which is good for beginners that haven't learned to control it with foot pedal. (4) One more thing I don't have to keep up with when going to sew alongs. (5) When I got used to using start/stop button I never wanted to go back to foot pedal
Old 03-26-2017, 07:04 PM

Well, the good news is that Elna's are now made by Janome, so much will be the same feeling as your machine. And within a short time she will adjust to just using the foot pedal, such a lovely gesture from her Dad.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:44 PM

The only advantage for me for being able to sew w/out foot pedal is that I could set the speed to super slow, and then my young grandchildren could sew simple straight seams. Learning to press the pedal was a bit of a surprise for them if they got it going to fast, then they would get nervous and would loose interest. Eventually (around 9 or 10 maybe) I think they can get the concept of the pedal/speed combo. I have them practice w/out a needle to get the feel of it....fabric will still feed and they can get the simulation of sewing and controlling the speed and the fabric.
Old 04-01-2017, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by JillC View Post
The only advantage for me for being able to sew w/out foot pedal is that I could set the speed to super slow, and then my young grandchildren could sew simple straight seams. Learning to press the pedal was a bit of a surprise for them if they got it going to fast, then they would get nervous and would loose interest. Eventually (around 9 or 10 maybe) I think they can get the concept of the pedal/speed combo. I have them practice w/out a needle to get the feel of it....fabric will still feed and they can get the simulation of sewing and controlling the speed and the fabric.
I had never thought of that but what a great idea!
Old 04-01-2017, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by JillC View Post
The only advantage for me for being able to sew w/out foot pedal is that I could set the speed to super slow, and then my young grandchildren could sew simple straight seams.
This Elna has a speed control, so a person could still set it to only sew at low speeds.

I have tried sewing with the start/stop button instead of the foot pedal, and I found it really stressful. How do you maintain control of the fabric at the end of a seam, while looking up to find the stop button? How do you adjust or realign your fabric as you sew? How do you remove pins? I slow down or stop during these things, so that my seam stays accurate. I find that if I'm not watching the fabric feed, I get wobbles.
Old 04-01-2017, 10:01 AM

I found that I used mostly my left hand to guide fabric anyway and got to where I could reach up and press the start/stop button without even looking. There is an old saying "necessity is the mother of invention" and I guess that applies to learning to sew with start/stop button when the only other option is to not sew at all.
Old 04-01-2017, 12:54 PM

This may also be a dumb question but what is the advantage to sewing without the foot pedal?
well for me... I can't drive 55 ... ha ha ha

I love having the speed control consistent. When I FMQ I really like it because then I know the speed is staying the same I just have to manage my hands

I was worried about sewing with the start stop button and losing control.. but I am used to it now. I don't know if I could go back to the foot pedal
Old 04-01-2017, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by meyert View Post
well for me... I can't drive 55 ... ha ha ha

I love having the speed control consistent. When I FMQ I really like it because then I know the speed is staying the same I just have to manage my hands

I was worried about sewing with the start stop button and losing control.. but I am used to it now. I don't know if I could go back to the foot pedal
LOL I can't drive 55 without cruise control either. And, I do have a hard time switching from start/stop button and foot control. I much prefer start/stop button.
Old 11-10-2018, 06:23 AM

Meyert, I am not exactly sure why your niece wants to avoid using the foot pedal but I am poking in anyway. Please forgive me if I intrude.

I have a suggestion. It will take fiddling and creativity but short of a simpler answer it does work.

My grandmother's Singer Slant-O-Matic 403 Special has a foot pedal that will also function as a knee pedal. The machine came to me in a cabinet with a harness sort of arrangement that was attached to the cabinet a d holdsthe pedal at comfortable knee height.

I liked the knee pedal in the sewing machines at school and I really do use the 'knee' pedal one on grandmother's 403.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:55 AM
Banned

I love using a knee lever but I'm not sure it would be a good fit for a child. They would have to sit too far to the right to operate it.

Cari