Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine question... >

Machine question...

Machine question...

Old 12-28-2017, 12:39 PM

I have 7 machines now. Each one does one special thing that I just love. I just got a new Babylock Destiny because I wanted to have the larger hoops. On the other hand, I still have my first machine a Singer from 57 years ago. I only keep it for sentimental reasons. I feel fortunate that I am able to buy just what I want. I know one gal who has 32 machines! I guess buying new machines can be addictive.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:53 AM

My only machine is a Pfaff 2030 I bought in 2001. So far I have been able to do everything I want with it, so no need to trade up. Have been able to do free motion quilting, just not too fancy of stuff. I'm not into embroidery, but of course, I may change my mind about that, then I would consider another machine. I traded-in my old brother (from 1956) on my Pfaff. Wish I had kept it, but didn't know any better at that time. Didn't see the need for 2 machines. Now I do.
Old 11-10-2018, 07:56 AM

Mary, thanks for explaining so clearly my attitude about the 'next new machine' purchase.

Only other thing I wish for is a really useful manual that is written to be used and has an index that is meant to point the user at information.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:18 AM

I started out w/a Lily Viking bk in 2000...Can't believe I spent 1000 on that machine but it is a good little machine.
In 2007 I got interested in Embroidery so I bought a Viking EM10 which is now obsolete since it will only run on XP Windows and they don't make bobbins for it anymore. 6 mths after that purchase I upgraded to Viking SE combo emb/sewing which I still use and love and pray it never dies since to replace it was cost me a price tag of a car.
Thru the yrs I became a collector of Vintage Singers so I have 5 diff models of those, found a Standard (brand name) Treadle also.

I thought I needed a Serger I didn't so it sits...Thought I needed a Viking Felting machine it sits w/the serger never ever used (one day both go on ebay. I then invested in a Babylock Sashiko which does only hand like stitches use that all the time and a Singer Reproduction Featherweight which I use also all the time...Last wk Singer had a close out sale on their Studio S10 emb machine marked down from 859 to 199 and I figured why not for that price to have as a bkup emb machine...

I'd love an Emb/Sewing machine upgrade like the Epic but not at the current prices. Sewing machines become an obsession and I keep saying you can only use one at a time unless of course you have ladies over for a sewing party.
Old 11-10-2018, 05:27 PM

Needing a new machine so I’m trying to do my homework.
So far I have 3 wants: 1) good for piecing. 2) FMQ baby quilts 3) automatic needle threader
Will I find something for about $1200 ?
Weight won’t matter, I have a Featherweight for retreats.
Old 11-10-2018, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by tranum View Post
Needing a new machine so I’m trying to do my homework.
So far I have 3 wants: 1) good for piecing. 2) FMQ baby quilts 3) automatic needle threader
Will I find something for about $1200 ?
Weight won’t matter, I have a Featherweight for retreats.
My Brother Innovis 650Q has all you require and mine was $999. It also does 3 alphabets and over 150 stitches, programmable stitches, and will even sew sideways. Good luck with your search.
Old 11-10-2018, 07:14 PM

Back in March I finally found a used HQSweet16 at a price I could afford (after several years of looking). It came home with me and even though three of my domestic machines are excellent FMQers, they don’t have the huge throat that the Sweet16 has and it handles every specialty thread I’ve thrown at it with ease. It has made my quilting life much easier when it comes to larger quilts, thicker sandwiches and all the odd things I’ve thrown at it. That’s my most recent upgrade and very glad I did it. Also glad I did lots of research at quilt shows to see what was available and what I liked and then was patient about waiting until a used one that fit my budget came available.

Rob
Old 11-11-2018, 05:30 AM

I had my Singer for over 20 years, it worked great. About 15 years ago I started sewing again, I started checking around. I knew nothing next to nothing about embroidery machines so I didn't even look in that directions. Now that I have one I'm glad I didn't buy one way back then, the one that I'd seen that I could have afforded I wouldn't have liked it. I did buy a Kenmore\Janome with lots of stitches that I loved and gave to my daughter when I did upgrade. I now have a Viking Diamond Deluxe, I love it, I have just about all of the hoops and they have some of the biggest ones around. One thing that keeps me grounded as far as upgrading, especially to another brand it the money I'd lose. I have so many hoops and all of the feet that I'd not be able to justify the loss. I've only had 2 problems in the past 5 years or more since I got it. One cost me 50 and the 2nd cost me 75. That's not bad, I'm hoping to take it in to get serviced after the holidays. The last time it was repaired the guy was impressed that it was so clean. I think that even if it cost me a thousand to repair, I'd probably do it because I'd still being paying less than a new one. If I did trade in for the next one up, it would be the same brand because it'll use all of my accessories. And I love my features on my machine.
Old 11-11-2018, 03:23 PM

My first machine was a $100.00 machine we bought at Macy’s on time we had to pay half up front, so we went home and robbed the piggy bank. Twenty years later I traded it in spent $400.00 and bought a brother which I still have. Then about 15 years ago hubby got a bug in his bonnet about doing machine embroidery. So I wound up with a Bernina 180. Fine machine, and I hardly do any embroidery at all but it is my primary machine. This year I found a very slightly used Sweet 16 just to be able to quilt larger than wall hangings. Not too bad for being married for 56 years. I have gone from regular garment sewing to costumes to quilting. None of my machines gave me any problems but my sewing interests changed. Good luck in your search.