2018 Fabric Moratorium

Old 11-22-2018, 12:54 PM

I fell so far off the wagon I can't even see its dust in the distance anymore One Block Wonders were my downfall, and I bought fabric for 6 or 7 this year. I even finished a couple. But I think I'm actually done purchasing for the year, now. With the Canada Post strike, there's no sense ordering anything online. And I don't have any reason to pop into the local shops so hopefully can avoid temptation for the next month.
Old 11-22-2018, 01:00 PM

Krista, sometimes things conspire for/against us. From what you’ve said though, your stash seems to be healthy enough to withstand a period of time without you adding to it. You could consider this a head start on next year’s moratorium!
Old 11-22-2018, 01:31 PM

Pre-Black Friday deals at LQS's and on -line have been a killer to ignore. I have resisted but tomorrow...all bets are off...I plan on going to 2 shops tomorrow in search of pink....but...if there are polka dots, I need someone's cell number so I can call for encouragement..lol!! I am seriously thinking of just taking a certain amount of cash, leave CC and checkbook at home.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:08 PM

Thank you, Paper Princess, for hosting this year and thank you to everyone for helping me think about a purchase before I make it.
Conchalea, thank you for agreeing to be our next illustrious leader.
I am going to continue to think before I purchase, so there will be no wily nily purchases - minus the one I made late on Black Friday. I went to a WalMart in Kentucky just to check out the fabric available because there are such differences of opinion on the quilt board about the quality of fabric there. A precut yard of Robert Kinkade mottled lilac/green fabric came home with me. It matches many of my Northcutt Stonehenge fabrics so it will be useful. I have a WalMart here and the last I knew they carried fabric, but I do not frequent the store for various reasons. The precut appears to be a nice quality and it was only $5.84. My opinion on their fabric - like JoAnn's it's a piece by piece decision. Some is very nice and some isn't.
Old 11-26-2018, 01:25 AM

Progress Report!! My son was here over the Thanksgiving holidays. He and I spent a few hours trying to declutter. Mostly moving stuff from one box, bin, shelf, stack to another, but I did part with a half of a tall kitchen bag full of scraps that will be going to a friend tomorrow.... and a few larger pieces that will go to a thrift shop. And, I can see patches of floor in the upstairs guest bedroom!!!

I also packed up 12 baby quilts and 36 crib sheets and misc. other things. I will be delivering them today to the Crisis Pg. Center!

Yipee!! I can see some dents in my stash!! Thanks for all your encouragement! I hope to keep away from any place that sells fabric for another year.
Old 11-26-2018, 07:33 AM
Power Poster

Silly Susan...the sweet feeling of success! Way to go!
Old 11-26-2018, 08:17 AM

Congrats Silly Susan. Donating is one sure fire way to reduce.
Thank you for hosting PaperPrincess and Conchelea for volunteering to host next year. And for everyone's encouragement.
Though I had no intention on buying, I sure did anyways. I held off temptation till yesterday so I know it was not moratorium rules but my own (like to keep fabric sprees down period). Just too good of sales to not partake.
What I purchased was a lot as well. I picked up 6 pieces for quilt backs so 30 yards and each will work for queen size down. I don't do much more than that size anyways. Though I fell I really was thinking of the best pieces for the types of fabric I already have so hopefully they will coordinate well.
IrishRose2 I understand what you mean. Walmart and Joanns have some good fabric but it's a touch and feel process for me. Learned years ago if it didn't meet requirements, I wasn't going to purchase no matter how much I liked the pattern. Rarely am I disappointed.
Old 11-26-2018, 01:38 PM

Good for you, Susan. I truly want to get rid of several items each day in December. That gives me the rest of this week to straighten the house and finish the baby quilt that will be mailed to Kentucky so I'm ready.
Old 11-26-2018, 04:36 PM

I am using a lot of little pieces of scraps for all the mini's and ornaments I've been doing. I started to cut the balance up in 2 1/2" and rectangle cuts for a couple of scrappy quilts on my bucket list. In addition, I went through one entire bag of scrap batting for all these mini projects I'm doing and QB swaps I've joined for which I am very excited.

SillySusan.... Good for you! I know how hard you've been trying this year to declutter. Awesome son to help you out!

Irishrose2.... That is a great goal for December. I have set aside a box of fabric to take to a church quilt group next week. It's stuff they can use for donation projects and none I foresee me using anytime soon... Most I bought at bargain stash at guild quilt shows...

We should all be prou d of ourselves.
Old 11-26-2018, 05:15 PM
Power Poster

I did visit Missouri Star (online) on Friday. I got a couple of rulers, but no fabric, so I'm pretty pleased with myself. I'm taking a whole carload of items to the thrift store tomorrow. No fabric, but that's my next project. Our annual holiday party is this weekend. People keep RSVPing... right now I'm up to 52.