Eq8

Old 12-30-2018, 07:35 AM

Years ago I had the Jenny Haskin's program and then saw EQ at a quilt show. I liked it so much better and it was at the time much more versatile but that was ages ago and really have not looked at the current versions of other programs since then. I got EQ6, then upgraded to 7 then 8. I love it and use it often, if I am not designing a quilt, then I play with trying to recreate blocks I have seen and like. I think UFOs Galore's comments are dead spot on - with no experience with previous versions it will be easier. The only thing I would like to add to her comments is that in reality you can have it on many computers but you can not have more than 2 "active". The folks at eq are great - I had it on two laptops both which had died - they happily deactivated both within minutes and I then installed it on my new laptop.

There are free monthly fabrics as TAMARATJO has said, as well as a monthly project, a Blog with lessons, several books for sale with detailed lessons and a forum on the EQ site. And to boot - lots of support here as well. Good luck with your choice!
Old 12-30-2018, 09:16 AM

Thanks for all this info everyone. I"m thinking this would be a good birthday gift for my husband to get me next year. (Yes, I "suggest" what would be a good gift or he ends up spending way too much money on something I don't really want).
Old 12-31-2018, 05:43 AM

My friend has it and loves it. I have been considering purchasing it for some time. She is taking an online class to learn more about hers. I am concerned about my computer skills. My friends insists I would be fine. The only other reason I hesitate is that I have so many projects now. I would create more project with EQ8. I will never finish them all.
Old 12-31-2018, 09:55 AM

The EQ8 people are wonderful with help if you have any questions. It's a great program, and they will always walk you through if you want to do something a bit more advanced than you've ever done before. It's one of my basic quilting tools.
Old 01-02-2019, 12:58 AM

I have EQ7 and I do use it a lot for designing blocks and quilts. I can explore so many different color options, fabric choices, borders, layouts, etc. before cutting the first piece of fabric. Even if I never make the quilt, it's a lot of fun to play with!

I am not sure what all they have changed/added with EQ8 and haven't pulled the trigger on it yet, but will probably wind up doing so later this year. I missed out on the introductory prices when it first came out, and I keep hoping someone will have a deal on the upgrade, but it hasn't happened yet!

Also ditto to what others have said about the folks at EQ. They have always been so polite and courteous and super helpful.
Old 01-02-2019, 02:38 AM

is this the quilt design software that you can scan your fabric into the program and use your own fabric to design the quilt..........
Old 01-02-2019, 07:39 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mandyrose View Post
is this the quilt design software that you can scan your fabric into the program and use your own fabric to design the quilt..........
yes, very helpful to view what you want to make
Old 01-02-2019, 07:48 AM

I think I knew you could scan your fabric, but forgot. Maybe I should make this a project for 2019. I do remember something about difficulties in getting the scale of the fabric to be correct. At least the color would be correct.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:58 AM

Thank you to everyone who responded. QB members are so generous with offering their time and experience.
Definitely have EQ8 on wish list. Can't wait for the time to come to buy it.
Old 04-21-2022, 04:05 AM
Banned

I had the same problem with an Asus laptop. Initially, it was bought only for simple daily internet browsing and basic stuff.