Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with thin blue line quilt >

Help with thin blue line quilt

Help with thin blue line quilt

Old 03-09-2019, 07:29 PM
Power Poster

we've found the flag one, is that the pattern you wanted?
Old 03-09-2019, 09:44 PM
Gay

You could make this up using six 5 x 80" strips for the bottom half and seven shorter ones for the top half, length depending on the star block. Not sure what you could do with that, as to piece them the stars would be less than 3". Maybe you could get spoonflower to print fabric - say 26x30 with the 50 stars, then add a black/navy border around to make it up to the correct size. It wouldn't be quite the same proportions as the smaller one from Etsy, but hubby might be happy with that?
Old 03-09-2019, 11:00 PM

Yes native Texan, that is the one. Gay, that sounds like a great idea, thank you. And Cactus stitching, that would definitely make up for the extra fabric. Thank you ladies for all your help. I am going to get that pattern and go from there.
Old 03-10-2019, 12:11 AM

I hope you dont mind my asking....
but is there a significance about this quilt pattern ?
I have only ever seen the American flag in its traditional colours
I am from England UK!
hope that you have found what you are looking for
Old 03-10-2019, 08:06 AM

I've heard it is for first responders. My neighbor has one flying and I wondered too. So I asked another neighbor who knew it's significance. I hope I'm correct; if not I KNOW someone will correct me.
Old 03-10-2019, 11:38 AM
Power Poster

Ah, i was thinking police since they always talk about the thin blue line.
Old 03-10-2019, 12:40 PM

It is for police, and my Detective hubby has been wanting one, so I thought I would surprise him. I also have a daughter that is a firefighter, so I will replace the blue line with a red one for her.
Old 03-10-2019, 02:58 PM

It is for police as my son is a cop and he talks about it. Also, my neighbor is a retired state trooper and he has his flag with the blue line flying outside his house all the time. Great rememberance for those that are there for us in time of need.
Old 03-10-2019, 03:53 PM

The Thin Blue Line represents Police Officers as they stand between law and order on one side and lawlessness on the other. Although not all Police Officers wear blue uniforms the majority of departments around the USA do, and as they are greatly outnumbered they refer to themselves as a ‘thin blue line’. Whenever an Officer is shot or killed in the line of duty you will see the Thin Blue Line representation to honor the “Fallen Officer”. My son is K9 Officer and he proudly flies the flag in his yard so neighbors or others driving by will know his house is a safe haven for someone in need.

The Thin Red Line represents the Fire Department and other First Responders such as EMT’s.
Old 03-10-2019, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Cactus Stitchin View Post
The Thin Blue Line represents Police Officers as they stand between law and order on one side and lawlessness on the other. Although not all Police Officers wear blue uniforms the majority of departments around the USA do, and as they are greatly outnumbered they refer to themselves as a ‘thin blue line’. Whenever an Officer is shot or killed in the line of duty you will see the Thin Blue Line representation to honor the “Fallen Officer”. My son is K9 Officer and he proudly flies the flag in his yard so neighbors or others driving by will know his house is a safe haven for someone in need.

The Thin Red Line represents the Fire Department and other First Responders such as EMT’s.
Thank you Cactus.