Social Security Scam?

Old 03-21-2019, 12:47 AM

Yes, I got the same call this week saying that me SS has been compromised. That I needed to call this #. I just hung up. It was a computer generated voice.
Old 03-21-2019, 03:32 AM

I recieved a call last week saying that told me I cheated on taxes. I was then told to call them to fix this problem immediately or be fined and be deported. I am an American and haven’t filed taxes in many years due to my age.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:45 AM

sign up with Credit Karma- its free and will notify you f anything looks suspicious about using your social security number, I had my identity stolen about 2 years ago and its been a nightmare but finally got it stopped ,a person with the same name as mine was going to take advantage of my good credit rating, she got caught as she lives in Texas and I live in Florida.The company she was applying for credit called me to verify the transaction(I have a listed phone number ,attached to my Credit Karma. Please keep us informed as to how it goes. and no,Social Security will never call you ,and yes, it is a scam,.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:09 AM

I agree! Freeze everything you! We had our reports frozen routinely when the Experian(?) scam happened years ago. Thank goodness.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:49 AM

Never respond to an unsolicited phone call or email from SS, IRS, Credit Cards or the Bank. Contact them directly through your own contact info and ask if there is a problem. If you do online banking or CC payments, you will have a message/notifications link. If they want to contact you, it will be in here. Also, if it is an email, please report it as phishing. The only reason that the 'Nigerian' scams are still making big money is that people are still allowing themselves to believe in them!!!!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-21-2019 at 07:15 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 03-21-2019, 06:58 AM

Sure sounds like a scam to me. I'm so paranoid about giving out my SS number that I won't even set up an ID account on the SS website because you have to put in your SS # in order to do that. I don't & never will put my SS # on the web for any reason. My bank told me that I could check my credit daily through a credit report but in order to do that I have to type in my SS # to set up the account. NO WAY! My thoughts are....if it's on the web it can be retrieved by someone else! Now that's just me....call me "overprotective" of my SS#.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:30 AM

It Is a scam. Social Security, like every government office, loves a paper trail. If there was really an issue, you would receive a letter, not a phone call. I get these calls every couple of weeks. But, tell your husband it is best not to carry his SS card on his person---less likely to fall into the wrong hands.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-22-2019 at 09:50 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 03-24-2019, 07:18 AM

Thanks for all comments.
Old 03-25-2019, 04:22 AM
Power Poster

The social security administration will Not call you. Any problems will be addressed through the mail. Any calls asking for your social security number are scam calls- do not return the call or ever give out your social security number to anyone you do not know. There is a big scam going on right now.
Old 03-30-2019, 04:39 AM

I'm turning 65 next month and while I haven't a clue what all I'm supposed to do. I just found out I have to go into the SS office and fill out forms. Anyways, I've been getting calls constantly. I tell them I don't talk about anything personal to a stranger on the phone. They then hang up. So many scams out there, I don't trust any one.