Who is headed to Paducah?

Old 04-18-2019, 11:06 AM

Yes, tote bags are definitely allowed...AQS even sells them if you don't have one. Also there is a free package check in the lobby. Red-coated helpers will watch over your goodies until you are ready to leave so you don't have to lug stuff around.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:47 AM

As of now, there are no bag checks at the entrances and as stated above, they do not allow wheeled carts. However, walkers, wheelchairs and scooters are all welcome. Wear comfortable shoes and take a light jacket that you can stuff in your bag...the crowds in the galleries keep it warm, but you might need a sleeve if going outside. There are tents with picnic tables and lots of food vendors outside and yes, at lunchtime, it does get pretty crowded. I've sat on the curb or on the grass many times, but I'm in good physical shape and do this so someone who isn't can have a seat. Eat early or late and you'll miss most of the crowd at the tables. It is fun to meet people at the tables though and you make new friends when folks share. You can also bring your food indoors and sit in the hallways (upstairs is carpeted) You just can't take food or drink into the galleries, but there's lots of space in the corridors and there's chairs there too.

The First Presbyterian Church has a Taste of Kentucky dinner that is always popular:
The annual quilters dinner "A Taste of Kentucky" will be Friday, April 26, 2019 at First Presbyterian Church on Seventh and Jefferson Streets. 270-442-3545

There will be two seating's-one at 5:00 pm and one at 6:30 pm.

The cost is $10 if paid by April 19, and $12 at the door. The menu will be pulled pork, homemade potato salad, seasoned green beans, homemade rolls, Kentucky Pie or Chess Pie, tea, water, or coffee. (Vegetarians can be accommodated, if ordered in advance).

In addition to the dinner, which is served at the tables, one can enjoy seeing antique and modern quilts that cover the walls and entertainment is provided.

Some of the other churches have special dinners as well. The price is wonderful for what you get and the money all goes to good causes.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:52 AM

Hotel Metropolitan is an historic hotel from the segregation era. Many famous African American performers and dignitaries stayed there. They have a special exhibit called Quilts of the Green Book during Quilt Week https://www.facebook.com/events/267140544004534/
Old 04-18-2019, 11:59 AM

There are free shuttle busses that take you to Hancocks, the Museum, the vendor pavilion, the Civic Center and Eleanor Burns. They run about every 30 minutes and if you don't want to drive, just hop on and they will take you there.

Don't miss the Antique quilt show at the Cherry Civic Center sponsored by the JayCees...lots of vendors there too.
Old 04-18-2019, 02:28 PM

I am fairly sure that QiaD no longer has a Paducah store.
Old 04-18-2019, 02:54 PM
Power Poster

The store is still there and open I was told when I called. ?
Old 04-18-2019, 05:17 PM

I think the YoYo ladies had a vidio on you tube about 'burying your hand quilting knot in a seam'. and i hand quilt like that now. really up grades your handquilting by doing that. And thx to this thread i know that the quilt show is next week. on my bucket list. one day.

Last edited by sewNso; 04-18-2019 at 05:24 PM.
Old 04-18-2019, 05:24 PM
Power Poster

Wish I was going, but not this time. Will miss seeing you, and all the quilts, Melody!

BTW, Melody is a great ambassador for Paducah! She will help you as much or as little as you like, so don't hesitate to contact her.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:16 PM

My guild member was in Paducah a few weeks ago. She said she went to QIAD shop there.
Q
Old 04-18-2019, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by LynnBBQ View Post
A word of caution: do not blindly depend on the buses and shuttles to always be on time. We talked to several people that week who had stories of them missing their tour bus pickups because the shuttles were late or lost. Apparently this happens almost every year. We are going again this year (husband caved in) but we will be parking in the downtown lots and NOT depending on their shuttles.
The problem we had wasn't with shuttles being late or lost, it was that they were always full! We had to wait for 4-5 shuttles to come and go before we finally were able to board, and it was standing room only.