Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HandiQuilter Quilting Machine >

HandiQuilter Quilting Machine

HandiQuilter Quilting Machine

Old 07-04-2019, 06:33 PM

Default HandiQuilter Quilting Machine

I do not own a quilting machine but wanted to know your thoughts on the HandiQuilter Pro.(may not exactly be the name). I want on that will quilt on it's own. Can you give me any tips please
Old 07-04-2019, 08:32 PM
Power Poster

You're probably referring to the HandiQuilter Pro-Stitcher, which is the computerized package that can be added to one of their longarms. It doesn't really quilt on its own. You still have to load the quilt, set up and operate the software, advance the quilt, watch to be sure there are no problems, etc. Any robotics system roughly doubles the cost of a longarm, so it's not a small investment. I don't own HandiQuilter, but they do have a good reputation.
Old 07-04-2019, 08:33 PM
Gay

Didn't realize the HQ Pro was not actually the machine till Dunsters post, so had to edit.

I have a Tin Lizzie 18 to which I have Q-Bot connected, and it's a pretty basic tool. Also I have a program on my computer so I can create my own design to transfer to the Q-Bot, though one does not have to have that. Most machines will handle different brand name add-ons, there are many but they can be expensive. Depending on how involved you plan to be will probably govern how much you are prepared to pay.

Do lots of homework before purchasing and find out what one will do that the others don't. If I had my way I would have bought the Inteliquilter top of the range, it did everything, but cost as much as my machine.

I have no experience with the HQ.
Good luck in your search

Last edited by Gay; 07-04-2019 at 08:38 PM.
Old 07-05-2019, 02:34 AM

I own an Amara with ProStitcher and have no regrets. Love it! Started with a Simply 16 on a 10 foot frame and upgraded a year ago. Both machines are wonderful. Your dealer is the most important as they will be your support and offer lessons etc. Good luck!
Old 07-05-2019, 02:36 AM

I have a HQ Fusion (24 inches) with Pro Stitcher and I love it! As others have noted, the robotics (Pro Stitcher) is indeed expensive and I purchased it only after I had paid off my longarm, and only after I decided that indeed I love doing my own quilts, It’s a substantial investment, but the cost far outweighs sending my quilts out to be done. I took a private one day, one on one class on Pro Stitcher from one of the board members here, and it really helped get me going. I’m taking a 2 day class in a few weeks to learn more, there is so much you can do with it.

I was totally intimidated by Pro Stitcher when I bought it and it sat for a year in the box before I decided take the plunge. It really is user friendly and I’m so happy I have it! I only quilt for myself and it’s nice to be able to do a quilt from start to finish.
Old 07-05-2019, 03:50 AM

I love the recent upgrade to the Pro Stitcher (April, though there may be another one). This is by far the best since it was released. They fixed the "acceleration" program and now the machine slows down correctly for corners and curves, so you can run a design at 100% stitch speed and not worry about it. It has an easy way to slow it down if you need to at the ends. Read or watch the video on the upgrade, the stitch "speed" is now called Opti-Stitch and located in a different area. Don't do like me, I installed it and started stitching and my machine took off at 100% speed and I didn't know where to go to slow it down. Had to hit the pause button and get back on the computer to look it up

With computer design/stitching, you still have to do all the layout of the design and make sure it's going to fit your quilt, all it does is move the machine while stitching so you don't have to.

I do a combination, sometimes I FMQ, sometimes I do a Pro Stitcher all over pattern (edge to edge), sometimes I do motifs in areas and other designs around them, and sometimes I do motifs and FMQ around them. I love having the option of doing all of the above. I went a year without the computerized part.

I just did a medalion quilt, and did all of the above on it. The Pro Stitcher comes with a good selection of designs and you can buy more (or create your own, if it still comes with Art and Stitch).

If anyone reading this has Pro Stitcher and has not upgraded since April - do so
, you are going to be very pleased with this upgrade. I'm one of those that does not think about upgrades until I read something or have problems and figure upgrading (reloading software) will fix the problem. Upgrades are free from HQ - and they release them quite often.

Last edited by Macybaby; 07-05-2019 at 03:53 AM.
Old 07-05-2019, 04:19 AM

I have an Avante with ProStitcher. I upgraded mine last summer, but it looks like I need to check out the new upgrade. People don't realize there is still a lot of work going into computerized quilting. You can't just walk away and think the whole quilt will be done for you. But I am not good at FMQ so the pro stitcher is perfect for me. I bought my entire setup as a floor model that the store needed to sell so she could afford to get the new model in. I basically got the computer for free. Handi Quilter is wonderful to work with if you have any problems or questions. Their tech support is fantastic.
Old 07-05-2019, 04:42 AM

I have an HQ Advante with Pro Stitcher and love it! Started with a Voyager 17 which had a stitch regulator but other than that completely manual. Love finishing off my quilts myself and with the addition of the Pro Stitcher can do lots of fun things. No regrets here!!
Old 07-05-2019, 06:04 PM

I have an older HQ Sixteen with Pro-stitcher. I love the computerized options and have taken a few classes on how to use the features. I still don't know everything that the pro-stitcher will do but I am willing to continue learning even at my old age of 73.

I totally agree with whoever said, your dealer is your best friend. I know I would never have gotten up to my level of quilting if it hadn't been for my dear dealers and our monthy LA club class.
Old 07-06-2019, 10:49 AM

I have Fusion 2012 , got pro-stitcher 2014 I just don't get it . I don't use my pro-stitcher at all..

I have do about 4 quilts on it . I like doing panto's . But thats me .