Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
which machines are left homing? >

which machines are left homing?

which machines are left homing?

Old 07-29-2019, 06:37 AM

I have acquired two left homing machines and am going to try piecing on them with a clear plastic zig zag foot that my husband will “shave” down for me on the toe since it is impossible to find a straight stitch foot for these machines, never mind a 1/4” piecing foot. I have also placed painter’s tape on the bed as a guide. Even tho both machines came with a seam guide, the foot is too wide to use it! The other option is a blind hem foot that comes in a complete package of snap on feet from www.sewingpartsonline.com. The blind hem foot has an adjustable width. I also read somewhere that they don’t make the needles for the left homing machines anymore. I do happen to have some sewing machine needles with a round shank (not for my longarm), but when I tried those, it did not make the needle centered. Would like to find someone, if there exists such a person, to make the necessary adjustments, if possible, to these machines to make them with center needles! I’m not a professional sewing machine mechanic but I could see replacing the needle bar and adjusting the bobbin assembly. If piecing does not pan out, I can still quilt on them with a walking foot. I just have to remember to watch the needle not the edge of the foot for a guide!
Old 07-29-2019, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Martina058 View Post
... I also read somewhere that they don’t make the needles for the left homing machines anymore. ...
Not sure where you read that. More than likely 15x1 needles are what it uses.

I'm fairly certain left homing straight stitch presser feet are no longer made.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 07-29-2019, 06:38 PM

I’m not sure where I read that either but, you are right, the 15x1 needles are fine. I did see on sew classic that they have a straight stitch foot for the left homing machines but, of course, they are not available at this time.
Old 07-30-2019, 03:49 AM

What does 'left homing' mean I am unfamiliar with the term.
Old 07-30-2019, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by juliasb View Post
What does 'left homing' mean I am unfamiliar with the term.
Anyone know when this machine model got released ? has a good explanation

Old 07-30-2019, 03:48 PM

I think left homing machines get a bad rap. As previously mentioned, quilting was not the primary use for these machines. Instead of driving yourself nuts trying to rig something to work to quilt, use a different machine!
Old 08-01-2019, 04:58 PM

I recently acquired a left-homing machine, a beautiful White Model 455. I had never heard of such a creature, and was very pleased to find this discussion here! More things make sense now, it didn’t come with a manual of course, and I thought something was broken - so thank you all for the enlightenment, I appreciate it!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	D3E89618-F633-4D0B-8951-90D96EE4904E.jpeg
Views:	115
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	615544  
Old 08-01-2019, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by JoneB View Post
... it didn’t come with a manual of course, and I thought something was broken...
Nice looking machine. I couldn't figure out what the "M" & "S" lever was for. I took a chance at https://www.singer.com/support and put in 455 for the manual in the search box after:

"Support"

"Enter your model number to view your manual."

And found the manual for "W455" It isn't the greatest and it looks like some of the pages weren't scanned properly as some of page 20 of the pdf is cut off. From what I saw - it appears you may have what I call a triple straight stretch stitch.

I think I have seen a machine that had a "lint cleaner" but I couldn't find anything in the manual about that. It wouldn't be the first time I've missed something -- if it is in there.

ETA- it looks like the "lint cleaner" is a red piece in the bobbin area I found a picture at https://tinkerbeth2.wordpress.com/20...ewing-machine/

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-02-2019 at 02:21 AM. Reason: Not affiliated with off-site links
Old 08-01-2019, 07:22 PM

Hi, Janey, and thank you for the info. I was able to find an original manual - but haven’t finished going through it yet. I did discover that the M has to do with regular stitching, and the S is to stretch stitch (which I doubt I would ever do..). The thread take-up bar was bent and there were some other minor things, other than that it looks as if the machine was never used! I still can’t figure out the year it was made. Mine says it has the Lint Cleaner, but I don’t see any red felt on the side like that. Interesting! Thanks again for your informative reply!