Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Needle size requirement for White Rotary >

Needle size requirement for White Rotary

Needle size requirement for White Rotary

Old 08-10-2019, 11:02 AM

Default Needle size requirement for White Rotary

We were finally able to get the stitch indicator lever loose and got the machine back together and in the treadle cabinet. I cannot, however, get the bobbin thread picked up so I’m wondering if there is a specific size or make of needle that is needed. I first put in a Schmidt needle but it snapped off when the needle went into the bobbin area. Then I tried using an Organ 15X1 needle and inserted it all the way to the top of the shaft and also extended the needle down part way in the shaft but still cannot get the bobbin thread to pick up. As I look at the open end of the bobbin case, my thread is coming off the bobbin in a counter clockwise motion as indicated as correct in YouTube videos. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also... the fly wheel is hanging up in one spot of rotation. What will correct this? I am so anxious to begin using this machine and right now I am finding it very frustrating.
Old 08-10-2019, 12:02 PM

I have a White Rotary, somewhere I read it takes the hard-to-find 20x1 needles. I was able to find them with a search on eBay, but can't remember the seller's name!
Old 08-10-2019, 03:32 PM

The White Rotary hand wheel turns clockwise rather than the usual counter clockwise. Try running some cloth through the feed dogs to see which direction the cloth goes. White Rotary covers many different models over a long period of time. Schmetz or Organ 15x1 are correct for White Rotary. 20x1 is for White Vibrating shuttle models.

Jon
Old 08-11-2019, 06:48 AM

oil everything again. Hanging up can be one tiny sport begging for lube. Make sure you got all the feed dog linkage points.
Old 08-11-2019, 11:11 AM

Leon, Sorry but what are the feed dog linkage points? I guess it would really help me if I knew the name and function of all the machine parts. I’m like a bull in a china shop. I just charge ahead and tear things down and wonder why they don’t go back together like they are made to do.
Old 08-13-2019, 02:19 PM

AlvaStitcher,
Make sure that your needle is in the machine with the flat to the right and threaded from left to right. A 15x1 needle is the correct size for the White Rotary. When I got my White Rotary I had to clean inside where the needle goes, there was old gunky stuff in there. Once it was all cleaned up the needle went all the way up.
The hand wheel turns away from you when sewing.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:52 AM

Start with your feed dogs.Turn your wheel by hand and see what pushes them back and forth and up and down. Lots of places for gunk under that plate..There are many hard to see places, but they all need oil, all the way back to the main shaft.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:54 AM

Take out your bobbin and watch what moves there, too. The case and hook can be begging for oil.