Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Living room as studio >

Living room as studio

Living room as studio

Old 05-30-2014, 05:10 AM

My living room conversion is allllmost done (more pictures are coming, I Swear) - my FIL came over earlier this week and walked in, looked around in amazement, and asked me when I'd started a sewing business. I just started laughing and he said, "No, seriously child, nobody needs this many sewing machines and this much fabric unless they're in business!" I just laughed harder. I have all of 3 sewing machines visible (one is embroidery-only, one is my portable) and a mere two cabinets full of fabric, and they're not even Full. I patted him on the back and said, "You just wait and see, this is just the beginning! This is my passion, and I dream big." He just laughed and said, "No kidding!" LOL

I know in his view I probably have the most "extreme" sewing room in the world...but really it's nickle and dime stuff compared to some of the sewing studios I've seen! His head would probably explode if I told him about my "dream" sewing studio that I'd like to create some day!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-17-2019 at 08:42 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 05-30-2014, 12:46 PM

I have my studio in my dining room. Only problem is that when I am sitting people in the family think I am waiting for a conversation with them. I am trying, have not got it done yet, to organize so that I can get my sewing room up away from the family.
Old 07-22-2019, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by wraez View Post
Yes, do what works for You!

I'm a messy quilter and have a messy sewing room, a very large room where I have a 4ftx8ft sewing table, love it But I hate not being downstairs with hubby in evenings when he relaxes and watches tv. So, I watch tv with him and do not sew. My sewing machine is very heavy and it sits in my sewing table, removing it, carry it down and up the stairs is no fun. Wish I had a featherweight so that I could sew at the dining table that looks into the family room ... I would get so much more quilting done And spend time 'near' hubby.
What if you bought a 2nd machine for simple piecing, need not be expensive. Saving the quilting for upstairs .

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-22-2019 at 07:14 AM.
Old 07-22-2019, 05:39 AM

When I first moved into my home, I made the living room my sewing room, but found it was too crowded and it just didn't work, the lighting was wrong too, so I moved into the family room which is just off my kitchen. I like it much better this way. When people come in the back door, they see my sewing room first and are fascinated, and I use my living room for watching TV. I found I had more space in between pieces of furniture and I could put lights where I needed them. It was just a better space for me. It also has linoleum instead of hard wood and is easier to clean and I don't have to worry about pins and other things that could damage the floor.
Old 07-26-2019, 06:47 AM

Have a basement sewing room but when DH was dealing with heart issues, I wanted to be closer to him in his chair, so I moved my machine upstairs to the end of the kitchen table. We eat at the counter anyway unless someone is here. We could watch a movie together & I wasn’t abandoning him. I can also sew on the sun room table but it’s round & I don’t like round for sewing. I pressed on a 2’x2’ padded board & used the kitchen island for my cutting table. He’s recovered & I’m back downstairs again.
Old 07-26-2019, 07:40 PM

I used to have a bedroom as the sewing room got too much stuff. Hubby passed away 3 yr ago n I decided to turn my never used garage into a sewing studio. In winter got too much snow to get car out. So I’ve remodeled it with white metal walls n ceiling, indoor/outdoor carpet on the cement floor for now. I have large lateral file cabinet I store my fleece in, a large cabinet I put wheels on that I store my backings, my batiks and whatever else needs a home in it. I have 6 bookcases with fabric stored on. I’m in the process of putting it on the magazine boards w/the shirt collar clips. When my sister comes to get her original ScrapBox that I bought for a song, she’ll help me organize by color. I also have an original ScrapBox that I purchased from the company n love it for my thread batik fat qtrs my charm squares n all my notions. I love having that all in one place. As soon as I can get new pictures taken I will post them. Need to finish cleaning up out there. I had to have a ramp built so I could get out there with my walker
Old 07-27-2019, 03:24 AM

I have my sewing studio that DH built for me 20+ years ago. It is a great space as I am mentioned before. I even have a bathroom attached right next to the cutting counter and across from my computer station. I keep 4 sewing machines in this room. I do the majority of my piecing in here. I have taken over the guest room for the most part with the Grace frame and Brother's 1500se. However there are 5 other sewing machines in there. My fabrics are in my studio while batting and thread,most of it anyway, are in a sewing cabinet in the guest room. Now when we have company over night I have to move WIPS off the bed and rearrange things a bit but only one who thinks that is to much work is DH. He loves that I make good use of both spaces though isn't crazy about everything on the guest room bed (Opps!). With it being only the 2 of us anymore I make as much good use of my space as possible. This way it is an active house for sure.
Old 08-12-2019, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieSue View Post
DH and I have decided to arrange our house the way we use our house. That means moving the sewing and quilting machines from the lower level to the living room where all the space and light are. We were only using the living room furniture 4-5 times a year, so we moved our 'gathering space' to the lower level and we'll make it cozy for gathering. We'll see how this goes for a while. Has this worked for anyone else?
My entire downstairs is pretty much my studio, that has a kitchen & bath.. LOL
Old 08-13-2019, 04:29 AM
Power Poster

My sewing room is the only room upstairs. I love it. There is a bath room and it has a walk in door to a large attic so I have plenty of storage. The stairs give me exercise and the grands love zooming down on a bin lid. Before buying this house my sewing room took over the den and attached bedroom. Too big an area because I filled it up. Big mistake when you have to move. LOL
Old 08-15-2019, 07:10 PM

I guess I am lucky enough to have my own quilting studio/building. Had it built in 2006. 16 x16. It's so cute. I am a messy quilter so I can just shut the door. It's looks like a cute little cottage.