Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ironing Board covers >

Ironing Board covers

Ironing Board covers

Old 08-19-2019, 03:04 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Take it out of the washer and put on ironing board. It will dry tight to fit the board. No struggling to make it fit. While wet it will be easy to stretch to fit.
I like this advice.
Old 08-19-2019, 03:32 AM

I make my own out of heavyweight unbleached muslin.
Old 08-19-2019, 05:40 AM

no help on the brands to buy....but I pretty much have my ironing board set up in my kitchen as that is the only place I can leave it set up and I stitch in the dining room....however, I found I was using my ironing board as another kitchen counter top.....oops....spills and stuff on it....so I have bought a couple of piece of what used to be called oil clothe and cover my ironing board with that when not using it as an ironing board....got to be careful though....my sister was helping me with some pressing and didn't take the oil cloth off....oops! melted gunk on the bottom of the iron...lucky for me once cooled it rubbed off.
Old 08-19-2019, 06:30 AM

So many things say 'hand wash' or 'dry clean only' not because it is true but because it covers them from misuse and damage. Most folks no longer wash in super hot water and then over dry them in a cooking hot dryer. I find that many, many fabric items can be washed without any problems. Just be sensible. Try washing in cold or lukewarm water on a gentle cycle. And think about the item before tossing it into the dryer.
Old 08-19-2019, 07:01 AM

I've been making my own and just made it out of some cotton fabric that I had gotten on sale several years back and not in love with it so much and have several yards of it; sad to say; but, I never even thought of washing them. lol. I will now.
Old 08-19-2019, 07:04 AM

My 1st home-made cover I used ticking fabric I had on hand. It got dirty from over spray of starch. Next one I used some silver heat resistant fabric I had on hand. Like this one much better as I can wipe off over spray. Keeps much cleaner for me. I made myself a large pressing board 24 x 48 to sit on top of my regular ironing board so reason for making my own cover.
Old 08-19-2019, 07:52 AM
Power Poster

ha, ha. i got it on and it looks soooo much better. must have been starch stain but it's gone. i let it hang out in the hot sunshine a bit and put in on the ironing board when a tad damp. this time i got it on more securely. used large safety pins on the sides and pinned to the thin mat cover. Before, i'd had used binding clips and tied those to each other with twine. ironing yardage tended to make the sides get caught when moving that much fabric. so now, they should stay put!! thanks all.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
I have an old June Tailor ironing board cover. I just looked and it can only be hand washed. Every one i looked at in Wal-marts say no machine washing. Why.? this cover doesn't have padding. that is a thin separate piece for my board. it looks terrible and I'd like a clean one that can be washed. anyone??
Bed, Bath & Beyond usually has a good selection. I make covers for my small travel boards, but splurge for one for the larger board. Treat yourself. Remember we quilter' iron almost daily.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Often times it's a CYA! ..... whether, ironing board covers, clothes, curtains, etc.

ITA with Peckish, cotton covers are nicer for pressing blocks and smaller pieces of fabric.

However, when pressing yardage or a completed quilt top, I much prefer the silver (teflon?).
Much easier to slide it along as I mover from one section to the other as I press.

So ... what I do now is have my ironing board covered with the silver.
Then a slip-on ironing board cover that can be removed to wash or when pressing the bigger stuff.
I just use a pretty piece of quilting cotton that makes me happy to see it!
Win-Win!
I know using abbreviations save typing, but those of us who do not understand what they mean lose the whole concept of your message, What is CYA and ITA
Old 08-20-2019, 10:56 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by themachinelady View Post
I know using abbreviations save typing, but those of us who do not understand what they mean lose the whole concept of your message, What is CYA and ITA
With apologies ....

CYA = Cover Your Arse!
ITA = I Too Agree = I Totally Agree