Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
In General deals? >

In General deals?

In General deals?

Old 10-28-2019, 11:44 AM

Default In General deals?

I am super new to quilting and sewing in general.
I am pretty sure that I got schnookered by the dealer on my first sewing machine but by gones and learning lessons etc.

However, I am looking into buying a new longarm machine and dealer is offering 1K off.
For a 20K ish machine this doesn’t really sound that great to me?

Are my expectations off?
I am not looking for basement bargain prices but also don’t want to feel cheated again.

Any hints on what is a normal % off would be helpful!

Thanks!

Ally
Old 10-28-2019, 11:53 AM
Power Poster

What machine are you talking about?
Old 10-28-2019, 12:22 PM

Many of us recommend going to a quilting expo and trying multiple machines and dealers before making such a big decision.

I also recommend measuring the room you want to use first! It usually takes up a basement, garage, or living room.
Old 10-28-2019, 12:25 PM

Innova machines
Old 10-28-2019, 12:27 PM

Oh I have been. Visiting all the local dealers and measured my craft room. I can fit the 10 foot table no problem.

Just want to feel good about my deal. You know?
Old 10-28-2019, 03:58 PM

If you are super new to sewing, then I would recommend you go to one of the quilt stores who have a longarm machine that you can rent by the hour. Before spending $20,000, even with $1,000 off, you need to find out if this is something you really want to do? All day? Every day? Or only for yourself? As a business? I've quilted for almost 40 years. In that I've figured out just what I like to do the most and I don't. I've thought long and hard about buying a longarm machine. It's not just the space. It takes quite awhile practing of a machine to get good at it. More importantly, what kind of servicing does the seller offer? Piecing a quilt is quite different than quilting on a longarm machine.
Good luck. And ask lots of questions. Look and try out several different machines.
Old 10-28-2019, 04:12 PM

If you are that new to quilting, I would definitely wait on a long arm. This may be a hobby that you stick with and go full steam ahead. May also be a hobby that you enjoy on a slower path. Always the possibility that it dies after a short time. A long arm is a big expense if the desire dies off. In the meantime you can quilt and practice your skills while you decided how deep you want to get. Also gives you time to test some machines at a quilt show.
welcome to the board
Old 10-28-2019, 04:13 PM

Hi Emperessally! If you are new to quilting you may want to read this blog about longarm machines and whether or not they are right for you: https://www.stringandstory.com/blog/buyalongarm

Personally, I think a discount of only $1000 off of a $20K machine is not that much of a discount. The quilt shows tend to knock a few thousand off their demo longarm since they were "used" during the quilt show. But I know nothing about Innova's and their pricing so $1000 may be a wonderful discount. You can always ask them if they will drop the price by $2000, or whatever you think is reasonable. How many bells and whistles are on the model they are selling you? That might be a deal breaker/sealer for you, too.

I scooted around the internet for Innova's just now. I saw one webpage where the demo model price had a $1500 reduction in cost.
This other webpage gives their prices for the various Innova models: https://www.jukeboxquilts.com/innova-longarm.htm

Nothing better than price comparisons, right? You've probably already done this but just in case....

Good luck! Free motion quilting is a great artistic expression venue. I'm just no good at it, yet. :-) No longarm for me in my near future unless I win the lottery and can buy a house for the longarm room.

Last edited by ibex94; 10-28-2019 at 04:16 PM.
Old 10-28-2019, 04:40 PM

Keep in mind that there are several variables involved. First of all, we don't know what add-ons you're getting with this purchase. Lightning stitch, Pantovision, computerized, hydraulic lift, light bar?? The list goes on. All of these items could potentially increase the cost of the setup between $1000 and $10,000. Is this a new or used machine? Does this include setup and training in your home (or shop or whatever)?

Secondly, along with the others, I'm a little concerned about what you're stating about yourself. You are "super new" to quilting, but jumping in with a $20K +/- purchase right away?? Red flags going up everywhere. Have you ever quilted a quilt? Do you understand what it takes to load one on the frame, adjust for imperfections in the top, set the tension? Are you planning on quilting just for yourself, or are you opening a business? If you're planning on starting a business, that opens a whole new avenue of questions and thoughts to consider.

Last edited by Peckish; 10-28-2019 at 04:45 PM.
Old 10-28-2019, 05:02 PM
Power Poster

I have never seen very big discounts on the Innova. Occasionally items are thrown in, like thread or a light stand, but the machine price is pretty stable. Sometimes the manufacturer offers specials that are passed down to the retailers.

I agree with Peckish that buying an expensive longarm when you are new to sewing is unusual.