Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Class problems >

Class problems

Class problems

Old 10-31-2019, 07:13 AM

As a teacher, I have see this before. First, you are taking the class for yourself, try not to think of the others and trying to work as they do. Second, see if you can position yourself so that your back is to the other students. If you can't see what they are doing, it may be less intimidating. Third - speak with the instructor. Perhaps you can come in a few minutes early and get started. Then when the others arrive, you will already be in the flow. But, even if these things do not work out, don't beat yourself up. Some folks just don't do well in that type of structure. Nothing right or wrong with that. The important thing is that you are quilting!!!!!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-31-2019 at 12:09 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 10-31-2019, 07:32 AM

I have been teaching quilt classes for a long time. Everyone performs at a different level. Everyone has their own way of learning. There are some students who zip along in class, and then go home and mess up the assignment when alone. Others either don't seem to get it or just observe and then go home and master the lesson. If at the end of the class you have a quilt that you are happy with, you are a success. You should compare yourself to you, not others.
Old 10-31-2019, 08:43 AM

I understand your situation completely. I am so much better sewing at home by myself as I am such a loner and enjoy the quiet time and sew at my own speed. I am such a perfectionist and that is why I am so slow. If I take a class it is only to learn a new technique and mainly take notes and go home and try it. So you are definitely not alone-I am sure there are alot of us out there that don't do well in classes.
Old 10-31-2019, 08:44 AM

I have never taken a quilting class for exactly that reason. I am afraid that I will either over preform and do sloppy work or I will under preform because I OCD about details and fear of making mistakes. I have been quilting for more than 30 years now and I freeze at the idea of taking a class.
Old 10-31-2019, 09:14 AM
mim

I have the same problem -- I want to be the "best, fastest, most amazing" whenever I am in a class -- I think it was drummed into me at school -- I had to be top of the class -- come in first on any test. I like to "monitor" any class I take because then I learn and take notes. I do the work at home and take it to the next session to talk about any problem I had.
Old 10-31-2019, 09:15 AM

I look at classes as a way to meet and share experiences with other quilters. Go in with the mindset of enjoying the company of others and look to learn at least one new skill. I think that's a successful class and not necessarily what you get finished.
Old 10-31-2019, 09:46 AM

I find that the instructor style can be a great help. I recently went to a class where she helped us with any quilt that was in her book and spent time with each person. It was a nice class and we all did different things. In general, I find i get distracted in a class so I really think about whether i can learn something through a different method. I thought classes would get easier but they are so hard for me. I like being alone sewing or with a close friend.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:19 AM
Power Poster

I am the same and overal I consider myself a good quilter. I am a bit of a perfectionist and take my time. also I get distracted.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:21 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cindyb View Post
I took classes from a very well known instructor - she would demo the step, then shoot us off to our machines and give a prize to the first one completed. Talk about pressure!!!! The typical quicksters won the prizes, but for those of us that were there to learn got frustrated. I was about in the middle of the pack. But, my little neighbor said she would never take another class from her again.
I would not like this kind of class. Indeed pressure.
Old 10-31-2019, 12:55 PM

I had to chuckle, for I am glad that I am not the only one that feels they are the slowest . I have taken many classes because I felt excited and I thought I would learn SO much , etc., etc. I have often left the classes feeling bad and inadequate. My sewing machine isn’t fancy and expensive like many (most) of the participants. I often don’t understand the instructions , and I think the pressure from high achievers causes me to slow down even more. It is HARD not to compare oneself with others. I have decided to stop going to classes because I start feeling really bad about myself! That isn’t good. Sometimes I start thinking the teacher is frustrated with me because I am not “catching on” like the “A” students! Classes shouldn’t be competitive.
I am glad you wrote about this!