Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mystery Quilt Alongs >

Mystery Quilt Alongs

Mystery Quilt Alongs

Old 11-13-2019, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
Good question.
I was all set to do the newest BH mystery but a board member told me that hers have a million pieces and I'm not sure if that's something I want to do.
I need to go on her site and check them out. She's new to me.
I don't like the tiny pieces because I think all the seams waste fabric. For that reason I've never done her mysteries before. This time I'm participating mostly with fabrics I have had for a long time and don't know what I'd do with otherwise. The other thing I'm doing is only making half or less of what she requires. Her mysteries are apparently scalable.

You can Google Bonnie Hunter mystery and see many of her mystery quilts. You can also Google them by name. I don't remember all their names off-hand but maybe some can. "On Ringo Lake," "Allietaire," "Celtic Solstice," "Good Fortune," "Orca Bay" are some.
Old 11-13-2019, 11:38 PM

This upcoming BH will be my first. I’ve heard that it’s a good way to build quilting skills and I like the colors she chose. I’m a little bummed that she didn’t give accuquilt info as I’d like to use my machine to help with the cutting.
Old 11-13-2019, 11:49 PM

I love mysteries. Especially BH the only one I did not care for was Grand Illusion but it found another home to live in and they like it. I have done several others but I always do BH's. Just I guess all the others who join in keeps it fun and see what others do with different colors or change up the design after the reveal.
Old 11-14-2019, 12:22 AM

To get your feet wet with Mystery Quilting, try Merry Mayhem's New Years' Day Mystery Quilt.
It is a lot of fun and she does it all in one day with clues every hour to make a lap size quilt.
She gives out the requirements and suggested colour ways and cutting the week before so you can be all ready to start come New Years Day.

This is the one I did last year.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]619682[/ATTACH]
Watson
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	brendasquiltfront.jpg
Views:	1369
Size:	655.7 KB
ID:	619682  
Old 11-14-2019, 01:33 AM

We also have our own mystery train rides here on quilting board hosted by paintmejudy. I've made several and really like the finished result.
Old 11-14-2019, 03:14 AM

The mystery quilts might interest me if I didn't have so many others on my bucket list. Too, I like to know where a project is going before I begin. My mystery is which quilt pattern will I use from all of those that really take my eye. There's always one of those "I want to make that one!" discoveries.
Old 11-14-2019, 03:22 AM

The only one I do now are the Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt. It is always fun and I have liked all of them at the reveal except for one that is ok. The best part is not knowing what it is going to be, ( the mystery) I like that she wont give out even the dies to use as she feels it will give away too much of the pattern. She tries to keep it a real mystery till the end.
Old 11-14-2019, 03:53 AM

My favorite was Alletaire. But I changed the colors. Then I tried En Provence with different colors and it would not turn out well. She has a reason for choosing the values of those colors. BH is not associated with Accuquilt so she won't give die numbers. I tried to get her to tell me, since I already take Parkinson's meds and I've cut off a big slice off my left index finger with a rotary cutter. But she would not tell. I respect her for that. She said we would be able to figure it out when we get the clues.

Another member of this board and I will figure it out. Both of us have a lot of dies and since BH uses standard size pieces, we should be able to. BH mystery quilts are quite busy so if you don't like that, you can unbusy them by using the same fabrics. It's fun to participate but it's not for everyone. Some of mine are UFOs. I keep a running notebook with all the clues printed off so I could finish them if I wanted.

After you've done one, it is very interesting to watch one of her show and tell sessions at one of the retreats. She says that is why she doesn't sell kits, she wants us to choose our color pallet and maybe even put a different twist on some aspect of it. Change it a little and make your own.

Most everything can be found on Pinterest.
Old 11-14-2019, 04:11 AM

I have not done a BH because I am not a fan of tiny little pieces. But I have done our guild mystery quilts every year they are offered and have done several online. (Three were on the Quilting Board, Mystery Train.) Fun and yes, I have have loved them. So much is the selection of colors and I have a deep stash and can choose colors I enjoy.
Old 11-14-2019, 04:18 AM

I'm too much of a control freak to do them until they post the final clue and I see that I like the end result. Then I 'll do them, though I guess they don't count as. a mystery then.