Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Gift for a Good Sewing Friend - Suggestions Please >

Gift for a Good Sewing Friend - Suggestions Please

Gift for a Good Sewing Friend - Suggestions Please

Old 11-25-2019, 01:22 PM

Default Gift for a Good Sewing Friend - Suggestions Please

Hello ladies. I have a bit of a quandary and I’m looking for suggestions!

I have a very good friend I’ve known for 30+ years (we met through our Smocking Guild). She recently lost her mom and has been clearing out her mom’s house getting it ready to sell. She comes from a long line of needle artists; her mom was actually the founder of the rug hooking guild here in R.I. and was also a seamstress, a quilter, you name it, they’ve done it.

In the process of cleaning out her mom’s house, she gave me a beautiful antique rocking chair. The seat and back are done in petit-point but my friend is not sure who actually did it (could have been her mom, her great-aunt, who knows because all of her family were wonderful needle workers). She was going to try to sell it but ended up giving it to me and wouldn’t take any money for it.

So my dilemma is this – I really want to give her something to say thanks for this beautiful chair. (I put a photo below so you can see how gorgeous it is.) – she has all of her own stash, plus all of her mom’s stash now too and is totally running out of room in her own house. So, it can’t be anything sewing-related (notions, etc.) or even a quilt because she has so many quilts now, both hers and mom’s, that she doesn’t know what to do with them all!

I thought about a gift card to JoAnn’s but she’s not a fan of the place (LOL) and besides which her house and potting shed are full of fabric (the potting shed is the hiding place from hubby!). I know JoAnn’s sells other things but she’s not one to want the latest and greatest notions or rulers or anything like that, she does everything the old-fashioned ways and enjoys that. By profession, she is a horticulturist and has many different gardens at her house (she lives way out in the country) so a plant or flowers is out of the question too!

I am stumped!! Any ideas for me??
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ruthann Chair.jpg
Views:	828
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	620210  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-27-2019 at 12:22 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 11-25-2019, 01:30 PM

That is a beautiful chair! What about a gift certificate from a maid service or one of those folks who help you sort through and valuation of a loved ones things?
Old 11-25-2019, 01:41 PM

How close do you live to her mom's house that she's cleaning out? I know what I value--and that is help. Help that is helpful, organized, willing to sweat, willing to listen to me reminisce but not get totally sidetracked, someone who can help get me over the hurdle of indecision when those hurdles arise. If you qualify as such a person, your service would be most appreciated and long remembered. If I were giving the gift, I would offer, say, 12 hours of my time plus lunch on you , to such and such a place.

Alternatively, if you are not physically, emotionally, or logistically able, then a gift of a cleaning service when all the stuff is cleared out and the repairs made would be a huge relief. You want to help un-burden her, and I can sense that in your post. It's overwhelming in every way to go through a parent's possessions when they've passed. I'm fortunate that I have 3 sisters who have helped clear out much of my mom's stuff, but when the time comes to clear out my dad's to put his house on the market, I know for sure I will want all kinds of support.

A gift card for a 90 minute massage is something I would want. If she welcomes the touchy-feely, then by all means, give her that to look forward to.

You've known your friend for 30 years and I'm sure know what makes her feel cared for. Give her that.

Last edited by zozee; 11-25-2019 at 01:46 PM. Reason: typos
Old 11-25-2019, 01:51 PM
Power Poster

How about gift certificate for a night out for dinner or a show?
Old 11-25-2019, 03:04 PM

Embrace the gift of her friendship and accept the chair with grace. Write a thank you letter. Include a special memory of the years past.

Yes, it can be hard to just accept such a special gift. Enjoy the beautiful chair.
Old 11-25-2019, 03:13 PM
Power Poster

You could make her a special dinner or bake her a cake...
Old 11-25-2019, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Rhonda K View Post
Embrace the gift of her friendship and accept the chair with grace. Write a thank you letter. Include a special memory of the years past.

Yes, it can be hard to just accept such a special gift. Enjoy the beautiful chair.
I agree with this. It's harder to accept a gift without reciprocating. The offer of your time is also a nice response to her gift.
Old 11-25-2019, 03:33 PM

How about including a photo of the chair in your home with the thank you card? I agree that it's hard to accept such a gift, but your friend knows you'll be a good "keeper of the chair," so just enjoy it. :-)
Old 11-25-2019, 04:28 PM
Power Poster

Beautiful chair.
Old 11-25-2019, 05:27 PM

Beautiful chair. Is there a special dinner she likes that you can prepare for her? My favorite gift was a pan of stuffed shells ready to bake and eat. Whether you join her or let her enjoy it with her family would be a nice gesture