Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Recommendations on cutting machines >

Recommendations on cutting machines

Recommendations on cutting machines

Old 01-02-2020, 03:45 PM

Default Recommendations on cutting machines

I wish to use only designs with straight lines—squares, rectangles and triangles. Would using Cricut or other brands be suggested for this purpose?
Old 01-02-2020, 04:42 PM

With the kind you mentioned you are only able to cut one layer at a time. WIth Accuquilt GO, GO Big or the smaller one you can cut 5-6 layers and with the Studio (also make by Accuquilt) you can cut up to 10 layers. If you are going to be cutting a lot of those shapes, I woudn't go with a Cricut or electronic cutter like that.

Old 01-02-2020, 06:25 PM

After doing a lot of research on cutting systems, I decided to purchase a Sizzix Big Shot Plus. The reasons I chose the Sizzix were:
  1. Lower cost for the initial "machine" as well as for the cutting dies than the Accuquilt or Cricut. For example, a die to cut 2-1/2" strips is $40 for Sizzix compared to $80.45 for an Accuquilt die on Amazon.
  2. I can cut through 8 layers of fabric at one time.
  3. Sizzix can use a wide variety of dies, even some that are paper thin. My Sizzix can use Accuquilt dies, but Accuquilt can not use Sizzix dies.
  4. My Big Shot Plus takes up minimal space in my sewing room and because it has a built in handle and is light weight, I can carry it downstairs to do my cutting on the kitchen table.
  5. The Big Shot Plus is a manual system that does not require an electrical or computer connection so I can easily take it to a sewing bee or Quilts of Valor sew-in.
  6. The Sizzix can be used for other projects (e.g. scrap booking, etc.)
  7. The pieces cut on the Sizzix are always 100% accurate.
I absolutely my Sizzix Big Shot Plus. My only regret is that I didn't buy it sooner to speed up the cutting process when I quilt. You might want to check out some of the YouTube videos about the Sizzix cutting system. There are several videos showing how to use the products and even at least one that compares Sizzix to other cutting systems.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-03-2020 at 04:23 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 01-02-2020, 06:31 PM

I purchased a Go Baby/Me. I wanted a cutter but didn't know which one. I also wasn't sure how much I would use it so the price was great. The dies I purchased will work with all the Go cutters if i decide to get a larger machine at some point.
Old 01-02-2020, 06:38 PM

Accuquilt--either the manual Go or Studio,or the electric GoBig. If you have any shoulder,neck, hand or arm issues I'd definitely recommend the GoBig. Yes, you might pay more for the dies, but they are heavy duty and Accuquilt really stands behind their projects--I recently had my GoBig on the fritz and after having a customer rep walk me through some re-sets, we decided for me to send it in and either they would repair and send back to me(free shipping back) OR replace,extend warranty and pay to send back to me---I ended up with a new machine. they also have significant sales,especially from Thanksgiving through Christmas that almost cut die prices in half. Their Qubes (in several sizes)are dies that you can "mix or match" the geometric shapes making it possible to make tons of different blocks.
I have a Silhouette Cameo that does paper (with you can also do paper, etc with the Accuquilt),vinyl and fabric that has a fused paper backing--good for applique but little else when it comes to quilting.
Old 01-02-2020, 10:40 PM

I have the Accuquilt Go and absolutely love it. My friend was thinking of getting one and I told her to check out the Sizzix Big Shot just for all the reasons you mentioned. I have not looked at the Sizzix dies but it would be nice to have more dies available.
Old 01-02-2020, 11:44 PM

I have a sizzix big shot that I have had for a year and used 5-6 times (I even bought the expensive strip die cutter!)
The reason I dont like it is that you have to roughly cut your fabric to the size of the die anyway and there is a lot of fabric wastage. It also works out quite expensive to buy each die so you end up questioning if you will use it again (especially as they are bulky storage wise).

I have just got the cricut maker in November and I love it but it wont be for everyone. I love it as there is no fabric wastage (you can make a while 'sheet' of the same or different shapes. Although you can only cut one layer of fabric you cut more shapes overall each time. You are also not restricted by dies and can custom cut whatever you want. Mh net aim is to use it for a more complicated applique project. You can also use it for hundreds of other uses. I'm loving the fact I can cut vinyl to personalise bags or other things that I make.

However, it definitely requires you to be more tech-savvy than the other options mentioned and because it can cut a lot more I am finding myself interested in new crafts as well...
Old 01-03-2020, 07:35 AM

I too love my Sissix Big Shot Pro. I use both accuquilt and sissix dies on it, which offers options for what best suits my needs, price and what I can get most quickly if I'm in a hurry. I've used it a lot this week to cut out the (so-far) 3,112 pieces for Bonnie Hunter's mystery quilt. They fit together perfectly, even the flying geese.
Old 01-03-2020, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by BonnieJP View Post
After doing a lot of research on cutting systems, I decided to purchase a Sizzix Big Shot Plus. The reasons I chose the Sizzix were:
  1. Lower cost for the initial "machine" as well as for the cutting dies than the Accuquilt or Cricut. For example, a die to cut 2-1/2" strips is $40 for Sizzix compared to $80.45 for an Accuquilt die on Amazon.
  3. Sizzix can use a wide variety of dies, even some that are paper thin. My Sizzix can use Accuquilt dies, but Accuquilt can not use Sizzix dies.
  4. My Big Shot Plus takes up minimal space in my sewing room and because it has a built in handle and is light weight, I can carry it downstairs to do my cutting on the kitchen table.
  5. The Big Shot Plus is a manual system that does not require an electrical or computer connection so I can easily take it to a sewing bee or Quilts of Valor sew-in.
I absolutely my Sizzix Big Shot Plus. My only regret is that I didn't buy it sooner to speed up the cutting process when I quilt. You might want to check out some of the YouTube videos about the Sizzix cutting system. There are several videos showing how to use the products and even at least one that compares Sizzix to other cutting systems.
I agree with all of the above, I love my Sizzix, several places have the dies on line and sometimes on sale. Amazon, Walmart (very few in the store but many online) Missouri Star Quilt Company, Sizzix.com.
My Christmas present 2 years ago was also the large Sizzix (can't remember the name) it isn't protable, at least for me, I keep it on its own table in my sewing room, it can take all the large dies, like the triangle & tumbler that Jenny Doan of Missouri Star Quilt Company often uses for cutting the 10 inch fabric squares.
Old 01-03-2020, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by BonnieJP View Post
After reading all the recommendations here , I have decidedly on the Sizzix Big Shot Plus , however , after looking at them online , I found out that they come with different size openings. Can you advise me on this and possibly give me the model number of yours . I didn't see any that comes with any dies. Thank you .