Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual quilting day—Jan 1, 2020 >

Virtual quilting day—Jan 1, 2020

Virtual quilting day—Jan 1, 2020

Old 01-01-2020, 05:04 PM

I started a quilt today while my DH was watching football. It has a lot of paper piecing in it and my paper piecing skills are returning slowly. I have not done it in a long time. I wanted to make something out of my color box so I am making this one in Kansas Troubles prints. I think I am going to like it.
Old 01-01-2020, 05:15 PM

I was able to get two quilts sandwiched this AM, had plans to start quilting them, but when DH suggested we have one of our grands come over, I was all in. We had our four year old grandson over, made and decorated cup cakes, and got lots of hugs. Great day!
Old 01-01-2020, 06:43 PM

Didn't get much done last 2 days--pressed a quilt that I bought from a friend that gets older tops. and today I got it loaded on LA.It's a "Trip Around the World" in solids (has some issues, including not all fabrics are cotton, some linens and probably some cotton/poly blends) because I wanted to do a very traditional pattern in a modern quilting pattern. Using the circle workstation on my Gammill--it's going to be slow going but so far liking the results. Otherwise we spent time with family chowing on ham n' beans and watching football.
Old 01-01-2020, 08:33 PM

I got the binding put on an art deco style block I designed & binding on a couch quilt. Both were started last year & made from stash, except the backing for the couch quilt. I'll use the art deco block as a wall hanging. The couch quilt? It'll wait for the right home. I didnt work on the tee shirt quilt today, but now all the other distractions are done so it's time for the tee shirt quilt to get some FMQ & the binding. I hope to deliver it soon.
Old 01-01-2020, 09:13 PM

Began piecing baby quilt for my grandson due in Feb. but the shower Jan 18 is my personal goal for finishing.
Old 01-01-2020, 09:34 PM

Got two borders put on a wonky star quilt that I'm making for my DS. I need to pick some backing fabric and call the LA tomorrow.
Old 01-02-2020, 05:10 AM

I spent all morning working on some "Hidden Wells - Turnabout patchwork".... And I finally gave up because they looked terrible. Very disheartening. Sour grapes moment- at least I used all scrap/stash and spent no money.

And now I have no purples left in my collection.

(My sister in laws sister is pregnant and her favorite color is purple. Theresa down under on YouTube makes the block look so easy! I was going to put together a quick baby quilt...)

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-02-2020 at 09:35 AM. Reason: language
Old 01-02-2020, 05:17 AM

Hello virtual quilters, hoping the new year is bright and merry. I've been slacking off in my quilting and today am going back to work on the Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt "extra" clue. Been working on my attitude and a plan of attack for this step (both of which started out poor) and now I'm ready.

Yesterday for New Year, my husband participated in the Polar Bear plunge in Lake Washington. It was a lot of fun and the first time we/he did it. I say I grew up in Alaska and swimming in a glacial lake in June was pretty darn close to yesterday so didn't need to do it myself. But I fluffed up a blanket and towels in the dryer before we left and put them in the bags designed to keep food warm/cold. And someone has to take the pictures!

So today he is back to work and I'm back to the cutting table.
Old 01-02-2020, 05:02 PM

Talking

Dedemac, I love that panel! It's going to look great when you re finished.

Iceblossom, I bet it was fun to watch your hubby and others take the plunge. Like you, I'd be on the sidelines taking the pics.

I got all the 60 degree triangles cut but not much else done quilting related. After grocery shopping and making a few other stops, I watched the Rose Parade which I had recorded earlier. Then I helped my son shovel some snow, made hot cocoa and took a nap. lol! Should have waited on the snow shoveling because we warmed up today - went from 32 to 50 - and most of it has finally melted. I guess I'll count it as a workout. I am going to be joining a new group of quilters at a quilt shop once a month. It is a ufo club and starts this Sat. I think I'll take the triangles to the meeting for my ufo project.

Hope everyone gets some time to sew/quilt!