Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Scant Quarter" >

"Scant Quarter"

"Scant Quarter"

Old 02-25-2020, 07:36 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
I've found that to get everything to match up, washable Elmer's glue, is hard to beat. I put a drop on every intersection match the seams and put a binder clip on it. I sew it up and everything comes out perfect. No matter how accurately you cut and sew, the fabric can stretch and move, especially if it's on the bias. Elmer's glue and starch are your friends.
Best advice ever! Elmer's washable school glue has so many applications in quilting but I agree, it is the best for matching critical seams and points. I don't use a binder clip though, I just hit it with the iron to set it. Holds great and it all washes out in the end and if you flub up and glue it wrong, it comes apart easily. Love the stuff.

To the OP (Reader) we are our own worst critics. Perfection is a difficult goal to put on oneself and will surely take the joy out of everything. There is nothing wrong with trying your best and getting close but please don't strive for perfection every single time, you will make yourself crazy.

But if you are unhappy with the way your seams match up try using elmers washable school glue and you may also wish to do your initial seam at the critical junction (just where they match up not the whole seam) as a basting stitch. Open up your block, make sure everything lines up to your satisfaction then resew over the basting stitch with your normal stitch length for the entire seam. Doing that a few times will surely cure you of that need for perfection!
Old 02-25-2020, 05:54 PM

Reader 1,

Please don’t hesitate to ask questions. It is how we learn on our quilting journey. Glad you got it all worked out and congrats on finishing your quilts.
Old 02-26-2020, 07:50 AM

I use 60 weight thread to piece. I stitch everything 1/4”. Don’t believe in scant. Have no problems. I press as I go and I am all about precision piecing.
Old 02-26-2020, 08:05 AM

When I was in College studying Home Ec. Our professor said to use scan quarter seam allowances on quilting. I couldn't figure it out for a long time. Then it hit me, when the seam is pressed, it takes up about 3 threads, and that equals a scan. Also, when you use lighter weight thread it will change the seams a little bit. I like to use 60 weight thread to 100 weight on heavier fabric for piecing, gives the correct size finished block. On most sewing machine, if you move the needle position one to two position to the right, you will get scan quarter seams.
Old 02-26-2020, 12:05 PM

That is part of what is so great about this board, you can check out what you are doing. I am another that is self taught and you would laugh at some of the mistakes I made but as long as you don't keep making them then you are improving. Please don't stop quilting just because you got a bit confused. It takes courage to admit you were wrong and obviously you have lots of courage. Keep on going. If you have finished 3 quilts since July obviously there are a lot more quilts in your future.