Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread for piecing >

Thread for piecing

Thread for piecing

Old 02-25-2020, 04:55 AM

I use whatever is available in the thread rack. Brand is not a consideration. I just make sure the same weight is used throughout the project as different weight thread can effect the seam allowance.
Old 02-25-2020, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
I find thread very confusing. There are so many!
I mostly use Aurifil, Missouri Star and Bluprint. I believe they are 50 wt.
I could not agree with you more. Very confusing and very expensive. I was looking at Superior cotton thread and saw it was running about $25 a cone, and that is the reason for my question.
Old 02-25-2020, 05:36 AM
Power Poster

I like to piece with BottomLine from Superior. It's a thin poly with virtually no lint, and it can be bought on cones.
Old 02-25-2020, 07:39 AM

My preference for both quilting and piecing is Glide. It is easy to work with and especially easy to thread a needle. Nice and strong.
Old 02-25-2020, 07:49 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
I also use Aurafil 50 wt on cones...I usually get one or two on sale at quilt shows.
Same here. A cone lasts me several years. I do all my piecing in a neutral taupe color. In the bobbin I use Superior bottom line a 60 wt poly. If I am piecing darks I do switch to a dark charcoal in the same brand combo. The only time I use colored threads is when doing machine applique. I do end up buying about 90% of my thread when I go to the big national shows. Best deals then.

Now quilting is a whole different thing. My quilting thread stash is enormous but the bulk of it is 40 wt poly embroidery thread.
Old 02-25-2020, 07:51 AM

I never paid much attention to threads until I started long arm quilting. For most of the last 40 years I've been using Dual Duty.

Recently I was given a modern machine with the advice that it likes Aurifil. So do I and so do the rest of my machines!

I recently got a cone of Superior's So Fine to use for machine quilting, haven't yet but next project I start I will be using it in the piecing to see how I feel about it.

With my vision issues and since I mostly work scrappy I pretty much always use a steel/slate blue and beige threads, one on the top and one on the bottom. Can't see thread well enough if the color matches to take it out...
Old 02-25-2020, 08:15 AM

I use mainly Aurfil 50 also....I have a good supply of it....one of the best prices I have seen is at Hancock's of Paducah...they have sales occasionally. I also use Mettler silk finish cotton. I have used Gutterman but actually find it more linty then the others. I have been thinking about using Superior So Fine Poly as I have heard that others like it for piecing…..I do use it on my long-arm and think it might be a good way to use up what remains on the cones when there is not enough for quilting.....
Old 02-25-2020, 08:36 AM
Power Poster

I like Glide for machine quilting. I do a lot of machine quilting and like Superior Microquilt thread for almost invisible quilting. The microquilt thread is excellent for machine applique.
Old 02-25-2020, 10:08 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DeltaMS View Post
I could not agree with you more. Very confusing and very expensive. I was looking at Superior cotton thread and saw it was running about $25 a cone, and that is the reason for my question.
Check out Patrice J's link. Very affordable!
Old 02-25-2020, 10:30 AM

Guterman's for me for all work on a quilt so far! Have not found a need for anything else.