Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A pucker on the back of my finished quilt. >

A pucker on the back of my finished quilt.

A pucker on the back of my finished quilt.

Old 03-05-2020, 08:40 PM

Default A pucker on the back of my finished quilt.

What should i do, Just hand sew it down or what?
Old 03-05-2020, 08:43 PM

It could certainly be sewn down. You could do your quilt tag over it. You could do some kind of an applique over it...a paint splat, a block from the pattern on the front. Hand applique or use an iron on. It's your quilt...do anything you want. It's all legal. "smile"
Old 03-05-2020, 09:22 PM
Power Poster

If it works to hand sew it down, I’d do it!

I always plan to check what’s going on in the back when quilting, but then I get carried away and don’t want to stop. Sometimes that works out, and sometimes I get a big surprise.
Old 03-05-2020, 09:54 PM
Power Poster

Nooooooo! If it is near the edge I would fix it. If it is too far in and you can hand stitch it down with an invisible ladder stitch, then I have done it. If the stitch down will be noticeable, either stitch it down with a hand embroidered decorative stitch and sprinkle a few others on the back or add a label to cover it. Good Luck!
Old 03-06-2020, 05:08 AM
Power Poster

That is the reason I use only backing with a busy print or lots of design. A pucker or wrinkle can be sewn down and it's not noticeable.
Old 03-06-2020, 07:30 AM

This happens to the best quilter from time to time. Ouch! What I have done if it only the one, is to put my label over it. I have also picked out the pucker and tried to flatten it out and then hand stitch it back into place.. The easiest is to just put my label over it.
Old 03-06-2020, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by juliasb View Post
This happens to the best quilter from time to time. Ouch! What I have done if it only the one, is to put my label over it. I have also picked out the pucker and tried to flatten it out and then hand stitch it back into place.. The easiest is to just put my label over it.
I just made a bunch of puckers on the back of one of full sized quilts.....I had it loaded on my longarm frame.....and then noticed one of the parts that holds the ends of my rails was loose....so it got tightened up a bit....I thought briefly of re-loading my quilt backing but thought...no I didn't need to do that.....I was sorely mistaken....I did check frequently as I rolled the quilt....but apparently not good enough...and I did not notice the puckers until that last 6 inches when I went to advance to the end....groan! Anyway...this was a string quilt and I decide that unstitching the whole quilt was not something I wanted to do...so there it is....I decided this was now a "cabin quilt" as my brother said we needed one. I am planning on washing it to see how it looks after.....luckily I had just basically meandered on it and I am hoping the puckers on back will look a little like a bit of fluffiness....
Old 03-06-2020, 04:19 PM

What did you have planned for this quilt? A show quilt...a gifted quilt...a spare bedroom quilt? Unless you are looking for a blue ribbon then I'd leave it alone. Anyone you give the quilt to will love it just as much with a pucker as without one and if it's just another quilt for your own use then don't point it out and your quest will never see it. And even if they did they won't ever mention it. And if they did tell them they are welcome to take the quilting out and redo it themselves.
Old 03-06-2020, 06:06 PM

Could you do a applique piece or block? Could a label go over the puckered area?