Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the best color for rulers? >

What is the best color for rulers?

What is the best color for rulers?

Old 03-16-2020, 01:51 PM

Thanks for the input. I ordered a quilters select...hope it works for me.
Old 03-16-2020, 02:08 PM
mkc

I have Creative Grids, Omni Grid, and Quilter's select, plus an ancient Olipfa. I hate the Omni Grid ones - the fluorescent green/yellow gives me eye strain and headaches. I wasn't that fond of the Quilter's Select overall "haze" and felt I had a harder time seeing many fabrics' edges through them, unlike the other brands' clear plastic.. I've been using the Creative Grids ones for a couple of months now and absolutely love them - so much so that I've since purchased several additional sizes.
Old 03-16-2020, 02:55 PM

I personally prefer the Fiskars ones that had thin black lines. Their newer ones have different ones and I don't like them.
Old 03-16-2020, 04:15 PM

Quilter's Select is my favorite brand because I love the fact that it does not slip. That being said, I also like the neon green rulers from MSQC.
Old 03-16-2020, 06:47 PM

I like Omnigrids mostly. I don't like the ones that have more lines on them than I can keep track of and some of the ones with color other than the yellow of Omnigrids makes it hard for me to see where the edge of fabrics are. I've also noticed recently (last couple of years) in the beginner quilt class I teach that there are so many rulers out there that are confusing on their markings. The beginners really have to get to know their ruler so they are accurate in their cuts.
Old 03-17-2020, 02:41 AM
Power Poster

My favorites have always been the fluorescent green ones with the laser cut lines. I can easily see the fabric through them [except for fluorescent green fabric LOL]. That being said, I've recently acquired a couple of Quilters Select rulers. They have very fine lines and I love the non-slip backs.
Old 03-17-2020, 03:08 AM

I have multiple brands of rulers but what I find I like best and use most often are those that are simple, clear with black lines, no color. I have one with yellow lines, difficult to read but I flip it and use it backwards. Another ruler was an impulse purchase and a true waste of money. It is 2.5 wide and about 24" long. The problem for me is that the ruler has bright green lines for some measurements. They were very impressive when it was on the shelf but those colored lines become confusing, particularly if used on printed fabric of any color.

Hint based on experience: Replace rulers when they get nicks on the corners from frequent use. No need to explain how I learned this valuable lesson. .

Last edited by WMUTeach; 03-17-2020 at 03:11 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 03-17-2020, 03:11 AM

Stay away from color...I like clear with black lines...I've got yellow that just sit...too hard to read thru.
Old 03-17-2020, 03:22 AM

Have been using Creative Grids for years, and really like them
Old 03-17-2020, 06:17 AM

My favorite is Omnigrid.