Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need Yarn to tie this quilt >

need Yarn to tie this quilt

need Yarn to tie this quilt

Old 03-17-2020, 11:33 AM
Power Poster

years ago i used embroider thread, did surgeon's knot. but with my husband sitting on the end of the bed, the ties started coming undone. i took them all out and used yarn. not sure what it was so long ago but it worked. Now not too long ago i used some yarn but after washing it looked terrible to me. i ended up giving that quilt to charity.
crochet thread i will have to look up.

Last edited by nativetexan; 03-17-2020 at 11:34 AM. Reason: typed word wrong.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:51 AM

I always use yarn to tie my quilts. Usually it's Red Hart. I have some quilts that are at least 15 yrs old and they are still fine. Using purple will definitely enhance this beautiful quilt.
Old 03-17-2020, 01:53 PM
Power Poster

I've used yarn but love emb floss better. comes in every color.
Old 03-17-2020, 03:17 PM
Power Poster

I prefer embroidery floss or perle cotton (even better)
Old 03-18-2020, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
years ago i used embroider thread, did surgeon's knot. but with my husband sitting on the end of the bed, the ties started coming undone. i took them all out and used yarn. not sure what it was so long ago but it worked. Now not too long ago i used some yarn but after washing it looked terrible to me. i ended up giving that quilt to charity.
crochet thread i will have to look up.
I watched Donna Jordan's tutorial on tying a quilt. She suggested putting a drop of FrayCheck on top of the knot to help it stay firmly knotted. Thought it was an excellent suggestion.
Old 03-18-2020, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by illinois View Post
I watched Donna Jordan's tutorial on tying a quilt. She suggested putting a drop of FrayCheck on top of the knot to help it stay firmly knotted. Thought it was an excellent suggestion.
That tutorial shows making very large stitches and pulling them tight. That is not good. That puts pressure on the fabric where it is pulled together in a bunch. I tie mine on a quilt frame, but I suppose not too many have such a frame. I know it is difficult to get a smaller stitch with a straight needle with the quilt on the table, but you could try to get them smaller. Some use a curved upholstery needle. Then don't pull the thread too tight. The batt needs to be loose and fluffy to keep its insulation quality. When you make the second part of the knot, then pull it tight. Just be sure you have caught the backing in your stitch! ! !

I have always used wool yarn to tie my quilts. They never fall out and get tighter with each washing.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:09 AM
Power Poster

I definitely use a curved needle,large eye. I have Fray Check too. Hmmm.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:18 AM

My preference eto be used with this beautiful quilt would be a Red Heart Acrylic yard but a solid dark purple that is variegated. No matter you are the quilter and what every flavor you like is what it needs to be. Nicely done. Can't wait to see it finished.