Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
creative isolation recipes >

creative isolation recipes

creative isolation recipes

Old 03-23-2020, 09:20 AM

i agree with everything iceblossom says.

speaking of canned foods...i love noshing on a sunday afternoon...or anytime really. doing a spread with canned foods s/a smoked oysters, anchovies, artichoke hearts, hearts of palm, olives, marinated mushrooms, etc., along with some fresh, or dried fruit, some cut up veggies and a big stack of fancy crackers, or homemade flatbread..oh and a nice glass of pinot. (personally, i consider pinot noir a survival food.) i'd be set for the day.

~ c
Old 03-23-2020, 06:13 PM

This I saw on FB today. Use a muffin mix in an envelope by Martha White (I think that’s her name) to make pancakes. 2/3 cup milk and 1 egg. The mix comes in great flavors to try for pancakes. Banana, chocolate, chocolate chip etc. makes about 7 pancakes - kids will like them for sure.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:47 AM

Iceblossom,

Sweet memories of the fried corn-mush with syrup. We used to make that and never called it polenta. LOL.

I just put beef short ribs in the crock pot to cook today. We'll have noodles or mashed potatoes with them tonight. I've never made them so trying something new. Slim pickings at the grocer yesterday.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
if you are unable to buy eggs in the store, you can make an egg-replacement to use in baking. i make it with a tablespoon of either ground flax, or chia seeds, mixed with a couple of tablespoons of water and left to sit for a few minutes. it works great for things like quick breads, cookies, even cakes...anything that uses eggs for a binder. here's a list of other egg-replacers and other applications that you might want to consider:
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...tutes#section4

~ c
The other day at Fred Meyer I bought 2 dozen "mis-matched"eggs. They take the cartons that have broken or cracked shells and put them in new cartons labeled saying they are mixed. There were about 5 dozen on the shelf, I bought 2, Didn't see the need to be greedy.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda K View Post
Iceblossom,

Sweet memories of the fried corn-mush with syrup. We used to make that and never called it polenta. LOL.

I just put beef short ribs in the crock pot to cook today. We'll have noodles or mashed potatoes with them tonight. I've never made them so trying something new. Slim pickings at the grocer yesterday.
yup...me too. my grandmother made it with cooked, ground sausage and we called it, "scrapple."

~ c
Old 04-03-2020, 03:56 AM
Power Poster

Wednesday dinner was cream of asparagus soup made from the throw away stems. You know the green part too woody to eat? Do discard the white part. I used an onion with the skin and a bulb of garlic also. After cooking it in chicken broth, I blenderized it all and then added some butter, milk and dill. We ate it with home made whole wheat bread and sliced ham. We have been grinding our own wheat berries and making home made bread for over 30 yrs so that is not new. Then yesterday I added ground beef and parmesan cheese to the left over asparagus soup and made it into pasta sauce. I added cooked penne pasta and the family loved it. They did not even realize it was the soup from the evening before.
Old 04-03-2020, 04:14 AM
Power Poster

Talking What to do with pork loin back ribs?

Originally Posted by Rhonda K View Post
Iceblossom,

It must be the meat that is left at the store because we also have ribs.

Hubby has been doing the shopping here and he also came home with pork loin back ribs as there was no regular pork loin. No idea what to do with it.

I have both a crock pot and insta pot. We don't realy eat whole pieces of meat but meat more mixed into things to stetch it. So this meat will need to last a little and I am not planning to do ribs on the grill.

Any ideas on how to process it and stretch it for 8 to 9 people? A little worried as there seems to be so much bone.
Old 04-03-2020, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
Wednesday dinner was cream of asparagus soup made from the throw away stems. You know the green part too woody to eat? Do discard the white part. I used an onion with the skin and a bulb of garlic also. After cooking it in chicken broth, I blenderized it all and then added some butter, milk and dill. We ate it with home made whole wheat bread and sliced ham. We have been grinding our own wheat berries and making home made bread for over 30 yrs so that is not new. Then yesterday I added ground beef and parmesan cheese to the left over asparagus soup and made it into pasta sauce. I added cooked penne pasta and the family loved it. They did not even realize it was the soup from the evening before.
really creative!
Old 04-03-2020, 12:30 PM

My son is fully recovered, but was laid off from work. He has moved back home with me. As he has lived away for 10 months, he was excited to have some of his favourite meals. We are planning our meals 10 days ahead of time.

I am lucky to have 2 freezers full of meat and still have about 60 pounds of blueberries, so we will not go hungry anytime soon. We alternate chicken with red meat and switch up the starch with each meal. We both love flavour, so we have Italian, Mexi, Indian, Thai variations on the calendar.

Friday is easy, it is Pizza night. The deli in the grocery store is closed, but there is a local deli that is open and we placed an order yesterday to pick up our toppings. My son makes the dough, I roll it (I have never figured out how to throw it), he places his toppings on, I transfer it to the Pizza Stone, whiles his cooks, I put the toppings on mine.

Tomorrow night is Steak, Guinness and Cheddar Meat Pie. A Jamie Oliver Recipe that I ex husband found, my son makes this yummy meal. We have stewing beef from a local farm. Sometimes we forget about the pie crust and just have it as aa stew on mashed spuds.

Sunday is probably going to be a Chicken Enchilada Casserole. None of the local stores have any Enchilada sauce, so I will have to make my own.

I was happy to find a 10 kg bag of flour last week at the grocery store, they had just been delivered a pallet of flour. I was only able to get a 4 kg bag of sugar, but as there was none to be found last week I was happy to have it.
Old 04-03-2020, 12:55 PM

Hey Anna, I have lots of ways to stretch things by stewing them but I'm not so big a fan of stewing for pork type things. I'd cut between them enough to fit in a pan and then would roast with a sauce of some sort.until fall off tender and then pull out the bones leaving the meat and sauce.

Sauce depends on what you all like/have on hand. Can go with Tomato, or BBQ, or Curry, or Salsa Verde, or all sorts of ways to go depending on what you like.

You could then add in some canned or separately cooked beans or other vegies to stretch it. A good "pantry" dinner I would make would be with a bottle of prepared BBQ sauce, a 1-2 pound section from a pork loin cooked together and served over instant mashed potatoes and canned corn on the side. No -- you don't want to look at the amount of salt that has, but it is yummy and everything was from my freezer/pantry shelves.