2020 Fabric Moratorium

Old 04-04-2020, 07:43 PM

Good for you, Conchalea! Totally an exemption in my book. hoping all goes well with the new listing.

i am sewing face masks and using up a bunch of scraps...and, I'm using my scrap binding for the ties. Total win.

Keep safe, my friends...
Old 04-05-2020, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by Conchalea View Post
I'm deliberately stepping off the train. I ordered 2 blue jelly rolls & 2 white ones. .
100 percent agree Conchalea. Hardship mental health exemption granted.
Old 04-05-2020, 05:04 AM

Thanks for the validation of my exemption! Who knew 2020 would bring a Covid-19 exemption?!?
Old 04-05-2020, 05:15 AM

I, too, am making face masks. I have "collected" quite a stack of Batik FQs, for what I do not know. But they got washed yesterday, and I found a couple yards of white flannel in the stash, and lo and behold I found a mostly full 100 yd roll of white bias binding, so the stash is getting busted nicely. I also found elastic, but the stretch does not return when pulled, so it will get discarded, unless I decide to use it for ties too. So today will be spent sewing.
Old 04-05-2020, 06:03 AM

Love the pattern and colors!
Old 04-05-2020, 06:25 AM

Conchalea - the fabric should be exempt for that or the I can't get to the rest of my fabric exemption!

Since the government has changed their mind on homemade masks, I started making some yesterday. Our hospitals are calling for them and had patterns on their site. I'm not a seamstress so there's been a big learning curve but I think I'm getting the hang of it.

I've done pretty good at keeping track of fabric in and used so far this year. I am curious how much this will take as well as how many I get done.

Also doing Bonnie Hunter's Unity sew along (first time doing one of hers) and two other projects as well so the quilt room is a mess but a happy mess! That doesn't even count the quilts sandwiched ready for quilting. I better get back in there! Have a great Sunday everyone.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:35 AM

I realize it doesn't have any real weight, but as one of the first people in the thread on lock down, I'm pretty sure I gave us all a one time "no being bothered by 'Blossom" flu shopping exemption a month or so ago. Just one! Thread and elastic don't count and only you have to confess if something other than your one exemption is used...

I'm doing well, yes I could do with a good dollop of retail therapy but am enjoying the Minion project even if it isn't what my original mental image was, that's what happens when Minions come on the scene and yay me for sticking with the stash even though Joann is still open and just down the street. Goodwill, my usual Sunday fabric expedition is (as we say around here), "closed for the duration" so I have no fabric coming in.

Think I'm going to do a horse variation on that Simplish design next. One of the pieces I got from the Walmart $1/yard sale last year was specifically for the back of a donation horse-themed project. I've got some desert with hoof prints on it for the framing of the squares and rectangles. I put it in my box of "not quite projects yet" fabrics I made last year, but most of it needs pre-washing. Fabric washing might be good for Monday, hubby is home this weekend and will probably tie up the laundry some today.

I'm looking forward to get back to quilting with my scraps and small pieces, but I am stressed and scattered a bit right now and think mostly I just need to give myself some structure and schedule -- and so saying that, I need to go back and trim the last of my Minion blocks before I cut those additional 6 I decided to make. That's today's little goal, trim the completed blocks and fussy cut the center blocks (no good motifs left) for the additional 6. I should get a bit past that I would hope but I like to make sure I do get to goal first!

Old 04-05-2020, 03:15 PM

Iceblossom,

Love seeing your progress with those projects. Pretty colors and design!
Old 04-06-2020, 02:40 AM

Great progress on the Minions, Iceblossom. I also enjoyed seeing the pieces that you decided wouldn’t work with the project and your comments on what you were looking for and why those particular pieces wouldn’t work.

I washed some batiks yesterday in preparation for sewing some masks, but have gotten a bit overwhelmed with the shear number of patterns out there. I want to make masks that use ties and have a pocket for a filter, but can’t decide between the pleated and the fitted versions. The pleated would be easier for me as it has been many years since I sewed clothing from a pattern, but I keep hearing that the fitted versions provide a better, closer fit which is important. Will make a decision today and get to cranking them out today. Should help to bust my stash of fat quarters.....

Rob
Old 04-06-2020, 08:23 AM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Rob, if you haven’t started yet, there is a cool tutorial on a pattern that you can rotary cut—all straight line sewing. Two issues: the corner cuts are 7 cm and the tutorial is in Russian. But here is the link.

https://youtu.be/Qhbp74XQvhs