Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
A quilt show of vintage treasures >

A quilt show of vintage treasures

A quilt show of vintage treasures

Old 03-07-2020, 04:04 AM

Thanks for your words, Rose. I feel the same way about these quilts. I plan on putting a label on each one that has a picture of the great grandmother along with the details, top hand pieced by Lucy Elizabeth Lane 1891-1962. And then, completed by me in 2020. It gives me great pleasure to do this for my husband's cousin. She's the one that looked after his mom before she passed and we are so thankful that she did that. This will feel like I'm repaying her for all she did. She says it was her pleasure but I know that even though 'mom' was pretty much able to do for herself, checking in on her daily was a piece of mind for us. I feel honored to have the opportunity to do this for her.

And, I plan on posting the pictures as I finish them up.
Old 03-07-2020, 04:11 PM
Power Poster

I call the first quilt a hummingbird block. They are all lovely tops and you will be a great caretaker of them.

peace
Old 03-08-2020, 02:51 PM

Beautiful quilts! I was asked by a friend of my mom's to finish a hand pieced Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt. It had been stored in a box for years and the lady was afraid her kids would throw it out after her death so she asked me to finish it. I hand pieced it but she didn't want it hand quilted. She said just long arm it because she didn't want the expense of hand quilting. I did what she asked and it turned out beautifully. She was thrilled. I was too, because it was finally done. My hands don't take hand sewing like they used to. I think you can machine quilt them and they will be beautiful.
Old 03-10-2020, 03:58 AM

Thank you Maryb119 for the confidence. I wish I had the time to hand quilt them but I don't. They will love these, I'm sure, no matter if they are hand or machine quilted. They are like a long lost treasure they didn't know they had.
Old 04-10-2020, 05:35 AM

It is a treasure what you have been given. The fourth one looks almost like an afghan with those dainty blocks
Old 04-10-2020, 09:38 AM

I got the first of the vintage quilts finished last week. Even with doing it on my LA, it took me 12 days to finish it and I was working about 3 hours a day.

There were 20 rows of 15 hexis so 300 little flowers to quilt in the spaces. Then, I SITD around the stars. I do hope I did it justice.

There is a 2nd one just like this one but a little larger. 22 rows of 17 hexis.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	pontiac star 1.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	624120   Click image for larger version

Name:	pontiac star 2.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	624121  
Old 04-10-2020, 02:24 PM

Beautiful quilting on a beautiful quilt top. Someone in your family is going to be so happy to have such a treasure. Can't wait to see more of the vintage tops after you work your magic on them.
Old 04-10-2020, 04:34 PM

These vintage quilts are so fortunate to have been provided to you.
Old 04-10-2020, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by SewingSenior View Post
Beautiful quilting on a beautiful quilt top. Someone in your family is going to be so happy to have such a treasure. Can't wait to see more of the vintage tops after you work your magic on them.
Thanks, SS. I do hope I didn't ruin it by machine quilting it. I don't have the time to hand quilt.
Old 04-11-2020, 04:48 AM

Beautifully done! I've just finished longarming a vintage top and all the while I'm working I'm thinking "I hope I'm not ruining this!" I agree with you, you may want to hand quilt but the hands and eyes don't work quite as well as they did a few years back. "Finished /proudly displayed" is better than "slowly dry rotting tucked away in box".