Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Cooking From The Garden >

Cooking From The Garden

Cooking From The Garden

Old 05-17-2020, 07:41 AM

Default Cooking From The Garden

I never know from week, to week, what is going to be available at the grocery store. For the most part, they've got the basic, fresh food necessities, but so, so expensive. It seems like every day the price of produce goes up a point, or two. I have to say, if it were not for our gardens, we'd be eating a lot less healthy. I'm anxiously awaiting those mid-summer veggies like tomatoes and peppers, but for now, we still have a lot of onion greens, spinach, lettuce, artichokes and cauliflower.

This morning I made a spinach,onion, tofu scramble. For lunch, we'll include a nice salad and for dinner, we'll have some cauliflower rice and an artichoke with our meal. How are you incorporating your garden bounties into your menus these days?

Totally OT: For Mother's Day, my dau gave me a peach tree. She know's me well. Thanks hon!

~ C

Last edited by tropit; 05-17-2020 at 07:50 AM.
Old 05-17-2020, 07:45 AM
Power Poster

The only thing from the garden so far has been my rhubarb for cake. I do have some mint coming for beverages but everything else will be awhile. The top of my ferns and hostas got touched by frost that last polar blast.
Old 05-17-2020, 04:08 PM

How nice you have some fresh produce from your garden. I have been able to harvest some chives and mint is just starting to come up. No planting until next weekend for me. I'll be prepping the beds this week.
Old 05-18-2020, 04:34 AM

My space is limited so I have a Community garden 8x20. Potatoes, beets, rainbow carrots, radish & a row of flowers (required) just planted. Last year we replaced old bushes on South of house with 6 tomato plants. They loved heat reflecting off house & I canned many jars of tomato juice. Also have English cucumbers & use a trellis DH made for them.

Produce is fresh & reasonable & we’re in Midwest. I get green peppers & mushrooms on sale cut them up & freze. Cabbage keeps well & 28 cents/lb at St Patrick’s so I got 2 & fresh pineapple $1.09 each this week. My Mom’s motto was Eat what’s cheap

Neighbor has amazing plum tree & we can have all we want because they don’t use them. It had storm damage last year & we trimmed it up & disposed of branches (it’s called barter !)
Old 05-18-2020, 03:43 PM
Power Poster

Tropit- my son in California has tons of tomatoes!!! I don't know how far away you are though. Not too familiar with the state.
Old 05-19-2020, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
Tropit- my son in California has tons of tomatoes!!! I don't know how far away you are though. Not too familiar with the state.
Wow! It's really early for tomatoes! I'm in Northern CA. He's probably in Southern CA.

~ C
Old 05-19-2020, 01:38 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
Wow! It's really early for tomatoes! I'm in Northern CA. He's probably in Southern CA.

~ C
Yes, he's in LA
Old 05-20-2020, 06:20 AM

Right now we are having blueberries, cucumbers and green beans. For a lark this year DH planted some spaghetti squash seeds, Acorn Squash seeds and asparagus shoots. The squash are growing and looking pretty good. We'll see if they will ripen. Never tried them before. DH wanted me to make pickles. No way. I told him to put the extra cukes in a bag, ring the neighbors doorbell and run.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:15 AM

WantIng to use some red & green cabbage heads today (from store). I’m making creamed cabbage. Also making my Grandma’s Red Cabbage.

Red Cabbage: 1 head red cabbage - I use food processor slice blade - not shred blade, that’s too fine for my taste. Put in large kettle & add 4 Tblsp sugar, 1/2 stick butter, 2 Tblsp white OR apple cider vinegar (preferred) & 1/2 cup water. Heat up, cover & simmer 2.5 hours. Towards end add a bit more vinegar & sugar (or substitute current jelly). It makes a lot but improves & reheats well.

Any side dishes to share ? I’m always looking for them since DH often takes care of Main dish.
Old 05-20-2020, 10:12 AM
Power Poster

There is an excellent Farmer's Market in my town and lots of roadside stands. I can stop and buy different produce and fruits from the stands. I love that. Cheap too. Living in the south, most everyone has backyard garden and grows way more the they can eat or want to can. DH has tomatoes and peppers growing in our little garden plot. My daughter has squash, butter beans,and potatoes in her garden. We share and exchange with neighbors who have gardens. Walmart here buys the local produce and sells it in the store at special displays all summer long.