Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I bought a new sewing machine but >

I bought a new sewing machine but

I bought a new sewing machine but

Old 05-23-2020, 06:44 AM

Default I bought a new sewing machine but

still haven’t used it or told anyone. Got it over a week ago. I got it out of the box and setup on a table next to my sewing cabinet. Am reading the manual, finding things but still using my 440QE. I think it’s because of all the hardship caused by the virus and I live between Midland and Sanford Michigan, and two dams were breached causing massive damage. It looks like a tidal wave went through. Light poles snapped off several feet up, building moved off foundations and some just smashed. In our family, only my youngest son and wife have been affected, we are so lucky. They live by one of the dams but it’s high so their house is fine, no power yet.

Anyway, I bought a Bernina 590. Have been looking at the newer Berninas for a couple of years. Wanted the better lighting, bigger bobbins, etc. At first only the 700 and 800 machines had what I wanted but didn’t need a sewing machine that big and didn’t want to spend that much money. I have a longarm. Was happy when they 500’s came out with everything I wanted. What pushed me finally was the sale Bernina is having. DH and I picked it up last weekend at the shop by the cottage – curbside service. It’s where I bought my longarm, taken classes, etc. Only stayed at the cottage for 24 hours and are staying home now even though we can go to second homes up north. Anyway, I’m sure at some point I’ll start using and enjoy it.
Old 05-23-2020, 06:54 AM

I heard that thousands of families were effected by the dams breach. Happy to hear your family is okay.
Enjoy your new machine, especially now while staying home away from the virus.
Old 05-23-2020, 06:55 AM
Power Poster

A new machine is exciting. Put some fabric under the needle and start sewing. You will be motivated to try out all the features and stitches.
Old 05-23-2020, 06:58 AM

Congrats on the new machine, it's hard to beat a 440QE!
Old 05-23-2020, 07:37 AM

Congratulations on your new machine! You should enjoy your blessing. Buying a sewing machine does not detract from the tragedy of the flooding or cause injury to anyone, and you have every reason to be happy and excited about learning your new "baby"!
Old 05-23-2020, 08:27 AM

What a marvelous adventure starting with a brand new sewing machine! I was given a new-to-me modern Bernina a little over a year ago and had to decide whether to use its features or just treat it like the vintage one before it. I've decided to use it and I do love the bells and whistles. It needed a repair and I just got it back and did a tiny amount of sewing yesterday. It felt good.

My thoughts are with you all, hubby's family is from Michigan (mostly Grand Rapids area) and we've been watching the news and chatting with the families.

Sometimes it takes a bit to clear our heads from the world around us. I know that I've been feeling mentally scattered here with "just" Covid and to add flooding and such things to it might be more than I can handle. So just give yourself some time to process and then throw yourself into learning the new machine! Don't force yourself, it will be joyful when the time is right.

PS: I've found my manual not the most helpful, but their official Videos on the site are great!
Old 05-23-2020, 08:39 AM
Power Poster

I love my B440 QE! Get your new machine out and do a comparison with the 440 . I would like to know for the future in case I need to get a new machine.
Old 05-23-2020, 08:46 AM

Go play and remember the good times...don't worry, be happy
Old 05-23-2020, 09:50 AM

First of all, are you safe where you are, I just heard a short bit ago another dam is close to being breached. It is so exciting to get a new machine. It has been a number of years since I had a brand new machine and nothing like a Bernina 590! I live down state from you. Maybe putting some thread and then some fabric under the presser foot will help to get your mind off all that is going on around. you.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:09 AM

Congratulations! Hope you enjoy tons of sewing time on your new baby. I did see the dams in Michigan break as I was watching TV news. I thought people are going thru tough times as it is and then this tragedy hits. Glad to hear your family is doing well and hopefully your son and daughter-in-law get their power back soon.