Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Help with glitter from fabric please >

Help with glitter from fabric please

Help with glitter from fabric please

Old 05-26-2020, 01:53 PM

Default Help with glitter from fabric please

I was given yardage to make face masks. The first thing I did upon receiving it was to wash it all in hot water and hang it outside in the sun.

One of the pieces has a ton of glitter in the fabric and now I see that it is also on all the other fabrics. It's even on my hands!

If I wash all this fabric again tomorrow, will the glitter go away? Is it hopeless?

(Just realized the inside of my washer probably has glitter in it too so my next load of clothes will be glittery. Grrrr)

Thanks.
Old 05-26-2020, 02:15 PM
Power Poster

Would the glitter fabric cause a problem with someone breathing in the glitter particles?

Maybe shake as much of the glitter off as you can before you bring the fabric inside.

I had that happen to me, too. I think I am still getting glitter off some things!
Old 05-26-2020, 02:16 PM

Aw geez, I didn't even think of the glitter causing breathing issues. I'll check with the group I sew for. They sent it to me though.
Old 05-26-2020, 02:28 PM
Power Poster

I would not use the glitter fabric- run a washer load with an old towel or something to hopefully rinse away all the glitter that may be in the washer and rewash all the other fabrics- with a double rinse. Hopefully that will remove all the glitter. If it doesn’t don’t use the fabric for masks.
Old 05-26-2020, 02:48 PM

Thanks. I am concerned now. I've reached out to the group that I sew for.
Old 05-26-2020, 03:41 PM

Ahhh glitter, the herpes of the craft world, the pink ring around the Cat in the Hat's bathtub. My Innova was a Christmas present, the ladies who worked at the dealership wrapped it up in glitter-covered tulle. 18 months later and I'm still finding glitter in weird places, like my master bathroom and inside my car. I hope someone else can give you a tip for removing it from the inside of your washing machine and all your other fabrics!
Old 05-26-2020, 03:43 PM

Run a wet sponge around the tub of your washer. Should pick up most glitter left behind.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:58 PM

Default Lint roller

I have heard of people using a lint roller to get glitter off things. You might try wrapping sticky tape around your hand with the sticky part on the outside to clean the inside of your washer and dryer.
Old 05-26-2020, 09:34 PM

our local hospital requested that glitter fabrics not be used for face masks as they will sometimes use heat to disinfect and as you know the glitter can make a huge,irritating mess.

Think it you pull that fabric and re-wash the others, it should remove the glitter from the other fabrics. Maybe do a rinse cycle in the washer first?
Old 05-27-2020, 03:51 AM

Wipe the washer out with a damp paper towel and throw it away. Do the same thing for anything else that might have glitter on it. As far as masks, do not use it, even if the group sent it to you. They may have not even given any thought to it. I know that children's pillow cases for charity should not be made with glitter fabric either. The fabric you washed with the glitter fabric can be shook out, use a lint brush on it after shaking it and wash it again.