Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about Crumb Quilting Patches >

Question about Crumb Quilting Patches

Question about Crumb Quilting Patches

Old 06-01-2020, 01:42 PM

Here are 4 of my crumb blocks. Untrimmed first, then trimmed.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	raw crumbs.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	186.2 KB
ID:	625396   Click image for larger version

Name:	trimmed crumbs.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	194.9 KB
ID:	625397  
Old 06-01-2020, 05:00 PM

Most of my crumb blocks are from pieces smaller than 2”. I use pieces that are as small as 3/4”. No foundation, just piecing together where ever I can find a straightish edge. Once the piece is roughly the size I want, I straighten edges to the largest size square or rectangle it will make and then piece them into my quilts.

Rob
Old 06-03-2020, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by rryder View Post
Most of my crumb blocks are from pieces smaller than 2”. I use pieces that are as small as 3/4”. No foundation, just piecing together where ever I can find a straightish edge. Once the piece is roughly the size I want, I straighten edges to the largest size square or rectangle it will make and then piece them into my quilts.

Rob
This is what I do. Take the two smallest pieces and sew them together on a straight edge. If there is no straight edge, create one. Then find a straight edge (or create one) and sew another small piece on that. Keep going until the piece is big enough. I usually go for 8.5 as I find that looks the nicest. Strips sometimes work better than other shaped scraps, but if you don't have too many strips, create some. Use all those really small pieces and sew them together in a long line, creating straight edges where needed. If two pieces have a straight edge that is the same length, that gets sewn together.
I've made at least six of these now. I hope you have fun making yours.