Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best quilt blocks/patterns for florals >

Best quilt blocks/patterns for florals

Best quilt blocks/patterns for florals

Old 06-05-2020, 08:25 AM

Well you're pretty far along for most of my tips, lol. And I've already posted most of my tips; I think the best one is to sash each block instead of using long sashing strips. I can help you choose the right fabric, but you're past that. If you have questions I'm happy to help, but I'm not sure what other tips you're looking for?

Regarding scalloped binding. My tips for that are 1) don't make your scallops too deep. I actually think my scallops could and should have been a little shallower. 2) Cut the binding on the bias, obviously. 3) When you're attaching the binding to the quilt, don't pull the binding. 4) The binding will curve easily around the outer part of the scallop, but when you get to the inner V, it helps if you pull it kind of straight. Clear as mud? And of course, do not cut the scallops until *after* the quilt is quilted.
Old 06-05-2020, 07:26 PM

Sorry Peckish, I have another question for you!
The pattern shows the blocks made with 5-3/4" triangles on the straight set, could you tell me how many blocks you used on yours and if you used the same size. I know your sashing would increase the size so less blocks would be required.
I am in the middle of another quilt but really want to do the Florentine Posy next.
Thank you for wonderful assistance to all our questions!
Old 06-06-2020, 10:39 AM

Hmm. I *think* I know what you're asking... On most of the Florentine Fantasy quilts I've made, I tried to have the least amount of fabric waste. Usually this meant cutting 7" or 7 1/4" squares, because the fabric was typically 22" wide at that point, and that would give me 3 rows of blocks (7 x 3 = 21", 7.25 x 3 = 21.75"). Then the squares are cut diagonally twice (like an X) and that would give me the triangles that I would then sew into blocks.
Does that help?
Old 06-06-2020, 05:35 PM

That is exactly what I was wondering, thank you! Your blocks are much more attractive than the original pattern. Seems I remember trying to be less wasteful when I was doing the Kaledescope pattern years ago.
Just got the blocks done for my Memories of Japan type quilt, now have to assemble and sash them before starting on my copy-cat of yours!!
Old 06-06-2020, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by MamaLinda View Post
That is exactly what I was wondering, thank you! Your blocks are much more attractive than the original pattern.
Thank you, that's very kind of you to say. I think the fabric that was used in the original was a little too busy. I like a little bit of empty background space in the fabrics I choose.
Can't wait to see what you come up with! My group of quilting friends were hooked on these for a while, it was always so much fun to see what everyone's blocks looked like and compare it to the original fabric. Oh! That reminds me! I always like to keep a chunk of the original fabric and put it on the back, so I can remember what I started with (and show other quilters, too.)
Old 06-07-2020, 01:21 PM

Peckish, correct me if I'm wrong, but the blocks are made with a diagonal cut once, not an "X", or were you speaking of something else? I made the blocks the size the pattern called for and I used a fabric already prepped for the posy and had cut off my borders before matching pattern and I only got 40 blocks. Luckily, I have more fabric. With the size called for by the pattern I will need about a 15 inch square for the set in triangles and I'm thinking I will need about 30 more blocks. I am going to try to incorporate the borders(already cut) into the pattern also.
Old 06-07-2020, 02:52 PM

You know, I think you're right, I think you do only cut once diagonally. Geez, it's been so long... sorry!
Old 06-07-2020, 04:36 PM

Kaffe Fassett has some unique floral quilts in his books.
Old 06-25-2020, 04:13 AM

Love your quilts Peckish! If you cut once, you would have bias on the edges but the inner border would be on grain. If cut twice (an X) you'd be sewing bias edges with straight of grain on edges. Which is more difficult?
Old 06-25-2020, 12:54 PM

I've never had a problem with the bias edges, I just handle them carefully and minimally. I avoid washing or starching the fabric until after the blocks are made, but then I happily starch the snot out of them and sew on my sashing strips.