Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need help!! sewing tension >

I need help!! sewing tension

I need help!! sewing tension

Old 06-29-2020, 03:09 PM

Clean the tension area by running untaxed dental floss back and forth.
Old 06-29-2020, 03:11 PM

You don’t say which thread is out of tension. Is it the top or bottom.
Old 06-29-2020, 03:34 PM
Power Poster

I was taught years ago to check bobbin tension by properly insert thread in the bobbin case. Just as you would to get ready to sew. Take the thread hanging out the bobbin case and give a sharp jerk. If bobbin case falls too easy, then bobbin tension needs to be tighten. When it is right the bobbin case should slowly fall. I hope this is easy to understand.
Old 06-29-2020, 04:11 PM

Default Thank you all

I would like to thank all of you so much for replying - and with great detail. It's wonderful to have such a helpful quilting community.

I've tried most everything but there are some suggestions that I will check tomorrow - - enough teeth gnashing for one day!!

Old 06-30-2020, 05:41 PM

GoSew--if you could attach a picture showing top and bottom it would help us help you. But in meantime I would first open up the bobbin area-- it appears that your machine has a drop in bobbin. Use your manual and see how to remove the bobbin "case" and then use a brush (I use a cheap "chip" paint brush) and clean out any link--you might be surprised!. next reinsert the bobbin into the "case"--make sure you get it lined up right and have the thread coming off the bobbin correctly. then re-thread the top thread--have the presser foot UP when you do this so the thread seats in the tensioner disks. Make sure you needle is inserted correctly and all the way up. Like Sewingpup says, if the top thread just lays on top it's a bobbin tension issue- while drop-in bobbins supposily are not adjustable, they actually are, you just have to figure out where the tension screw is and sometimes it's hard/impossible to get to--which means a trip to repair shop. If it almost looks good on top (little loose) but the bobbin thread is not "locked" or a "bird's nest" its the top tension. All adjustments need to be tiny increments and do make note of where you start. If this doesn't help it might be a timing issue (did you hit a pin?, even sometimes where many seams come together can be a problem) and that means a trip to the repair shop. Hope this helps!
Old 07-01-2020, 03:31 PM

Default update

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
GoSew--if you could attach a picture showing top and bottom it would help us help you. But in meantime I would first open up the bobbin area-- it appears that your machine has a drop in bobbin. Use your manual and see how to remove the bobbin "case" and then use a brush (I use a cheap "chip" paint brush) and clean out any link--you might be surprised!. next reinsert the bobbin into the "case"--make sure you get it lined up right and have the thread coming off the bobbin correctly. then re-thread the top thread--have the presser foot UP when you do this so the thread seats in the tensioner disks. Make sure you needle is inserted correctly and all the way up. Like Sewingpup says, if the top thread just lays on top it's a bobbin tension issue- while drop-in bobbins supposily are not adjustable, they actually are, you just have to figure out where the tension screw is and sometimes it's hard/impossible to get to--which means a trip to repair shop. If it almost looks good on top (little loose) but the bobbin thread is not "locked" or a "bird's nest" its the top tension. All adjustments need to be tiny increments and do make note of where you start. If this doesn't help it might be a timing issue (did you hit a pin?, even sometimes where many seams come together can be a problem) and that means a trip to the repair shop. Hope this helps!
Quiltingshortimer -
I've tried everything but I believe you're right about the timing being off. I was sewing some bias strips for masks and when I sewed from the folded finished end to the unfinished end my machine seemed to "seize' and sew in place on the thick part until I lived the needle and moved on. I switched to starting with the "skinny" end but maybe the machine is just out of whack. My Pfaff usually sew smoothly over uneven seams.

The top stitchs look okay but the bottom looks a bit loose. I've adjusted the top tension but have never touched the bobbin case tension - fear here! To the repair shop we go!

Once again I thank all of you for giving such thoughtful and detailed answers. We're far away, we're isolating but here it feels like we're among friends.